• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Connection lost very frequently Technical support

#1 User is offline   sriramb12 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2019-April-21, 01:26

I use android smartphone and my connection is good too. I have 4g network . Frequently I lose connection and a few times it lasts for good time. I suspect that some network latency could be triggering this issue. I feel bbo technical support can resolve this. I emailed the team a couple of times but l did not get a satisfactory reply. Please review my login details and resolve the issue

Keep up the good work!
I am ready to work with the team to triage the problem
Thanks again for your help
Sriram

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2019-April-22, 13:26

View Postsriramb12, on 2019-April-21, 01:26, said:

I use android smartphone and my connection is good too. I have 4g network . Frequently I lose connection and a few times it lasts for good time. I suspect that some network latency could be triggering this issue. I feel bbo technical support can resolve this. I emailed the team a couple of times but l did not get a satisfactory reply. Please review my login details and resolve the issue

Try using the new HTML version from a mobile browser. It's a newer version of the mobile client code, and there's some improvement in connection management.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2019-April-22, 14:49

View Postbarmar, on 2019-April-22, 13:26, said:

Try using the new HTML version from a mobile browser. It's a newer version of the mobile client code, and there's some improvement in connection management.

Today away from home I was playing with the old flash client on a PC while using a smartphone as wifi router. The 4G connnection is excellent for all other uses, but I was still thrown out of a tournament (probably all I had to do was log in quickly to BBO again, but at home this never happens). Had I been using the HTML5 version on PC might I have avoided the problem?

#4 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-April-23, 08:40

View Postpescetom, on 2019-April-22, 14:49, said:

Today away from home I was playing with the old flash client on a PC while using a smartphone as wifi router. The 4G connnection is excellent for all other uses, but I was still thrown out of a tournament (probably all I had to do was log in quickly to BBO again, but at home this never happens). Had I been using the HTML5 version on PC might I have avoided the problem?

It's hard to say. They use very different connection methods and completely different server, so something that affects one will usually not affect the other, unless it's just a generally bad connection at your end.

#5 User is offline   croquetfan 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-May-16, 23:30

since the new BBO came online, my PC loses internet connection frequently while on BBO. This only happens when on BBO. I can watch whole movies, play games etc without a problem, so something in BBO is interfering.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-May-17, 08:08

View Postcroquetfan, on 2019-May-16, 23:30, said:

since the new BBO came online, my PC loses internet connection frequently while on BBO. This only happens when on BBO. I can watch whole movies, play games etc without a problem, so something in BBO is interfering.

I'm not aware of any way that a browser application can cause your Internet to disconnect. I'm not saying this isn't happening to you, but I don't know how we can fix it if we don't know what could be causing it in the first place.

#7 User is offline   croquetfan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-May-20, 00:42

It does happen. definitely.
Maybe it happens to others but they are yet to realise it.

#8 User is offline   croquetfan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-01, 17:39

well, it seems goodbye BBO. It's been fun.
I just can't continue with internet cutting out every time I log on.
Close BBO window, connection returns. Every time.

I guess the robot dailies and challenges still works but that means logging in several times for 8 hands!

#9 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-June-01, 17:55

The only thing I can think of is that you have a buggy modem or router, and it's somehow sensitive to some data pattern that's common in the BBO communications. There really isn't anything we can do about this.

This isn't impossible. Many years ago I worked for an ISP, and one of our customers complained that when they tried do a file transfer it always got stuck at the same place. It turned out to be a bad modem, and when they replaced it everything was fine.

#10 User is offline   croquetfan 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-09, 17:52

thanks
almost new modem hub installed by qualified techs. so there is nothing I can do.
not the end of the world though I have enjoyed BBO for years.

#11 User is offline   Dwingo 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-09, 20:35

Old Post in the appropriate thread for more visibility.

Mac. Safari. Multiple Tabs Open. New BBO running in one of the Tabs.

When I have some spare time between rounds in a Tournament, I browse content in other Tabs waiting to hear the Sound for Round change or "It's your turn to play". Suddenly I realize that I have been disconnected from BBO.
This has happened quite a few times. Does BBO need a separate Window for it to run?

I had seen this type of problem, in the older web BBO, not this frequently, though usually after prolonged use, say 30mins or so (when multiple tabs are open). Something to the effect of insufficient memory. I had surmised that these maybe because of known Flash issues in Mac.
So, I was looking forward to the non-Flash version. But the problem remains. Now see it more frequently.

Though I don't get the memory notification, I still get disconnected using the new BBO when I keep switching tabs. If I remain in the BBO Tab, I am never disconnected. I have a very stable 75MBps connection. There is no problem with content refreshing in other tabs. So my ISP is not a problem.

Hope this helps in finding the root cause, to fix this stability problem.
Bridge Players do it with Finesse

#12 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-June-10, 09:43

As far as I know, there's little difference between browser tabs and windows, they're just different ways to view the same collection of concurrent pages. Does the problem go away if you use separate windows instead of tabs?

#13 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-June-10, 15:39

View Postbarmar, on 2019-June-10, 09:43, said:

As far as I know, there's little difference between browser tabs and windows, they're just different ways to view the same collection of concurrent pages. Does the problem go away if you use separate windows instead of tabs?

This may be of use, or this. Not necessarily the workarounds, but perhaps BBO requires a constant connection, and the fact that inactive tabs get suspended/throttled doesn't provide it.

If so, there must be something BBO can do to prevent this (eg think Facebook chat).

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-June-12, 08:11

View Postsmerriman, on 2019-June-10, 15:39, said:

This may be of use, or this. Not necessarily the workarounds, but perhaps BBO requires a constant connection, and the fact that inactive tabs get suspended/throttled doesn't provide it.

If so, there must be something BBO can do to prevent this (eg think Facebook chat).

Thanks for finding that, we'll check it out.

We do indeed require that the client send a message to the server every few seconds.

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2019-June-13, 09:07

We're not sure what's going on here. We haven't been able to reproduce this ourselves, and our understanding is that Safari isn't supposed to throttle inactive tabs if they use WebSockets, which is how our app communicates with the server. If it happens again, can you let us know the time so we can check our server logs?

#16 User is offline   mavina 

• Pip

Posted 2020-May-01, 07:58

I lose connection sometimes but that is not the biggest issue. The real problem is whilst I am playing my interaction witg the game stops. To me it looks like I am waiting for someone else to bid or play. If I use chat it does not work. Looking a player profiles etc is OK.
I used BBO through a browser last night and did not have an issue.
My partner uses a browser rather than the app and she was the only one who did not lose connection with the big issue that happened a few nights ago.

#17 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-01, 09:00

Today:

View Postmavina, on 2020-May-01, 07:58, said:

I lose connection sometimes but that is not the biggest issue. The real problem is whilst I am playing my interaction witg the game stops. To me it looks like I am waiting for someone else to bid or play. If I use chat it does not work. Looking a player profiles etc is OK.
I used BBO through a browser last night and did not have an issue.

In reply to an earlier post:

View Postbarmar, on 2019-June-12, 08:11, said:

We do indeed require that the client send a message to the server every few seconds.

Does the client expect a reply to the message? And is this still true of the V3 client?
Because that does not match up to things I have observed when using the Android app nor does it seem compatible with some problems our club players have had mainly using V3 in a browser on PC.

For example on Wednesday I was playing on a tablet using the Android app and I wandered into the kitchen where the wifi is not always good. I was half way through making tea when I realised that nobody had played for a long time. Rushed out of the room and sure enough I got the BBO login window when the wifi connection resumed working. But no error messages or action from the client while it could not see the network.

The other thing that has been happening a bit too frequently to be always user error is that people who say they were online waiting for a tournament to start do not get swept into the tournament and cause a sitout plus of course a very unhappy player. Among the PC users it happens always to the same few people, the only common factor I can pin down is that they also lose connection quite frequently so maybe some latency problems on their internet connection. One uses Linux and the others Windows plus Chrome. Nothing to do with the time of entry to tournament.

One Android app user had a tournament entry issue that I did manage to reproduce - she was online with BBO and waiting but to pass time she was reading History which had opened a browser window where she was examining play of a hand. The tournament started without her realising, but when she switched to the BBO app it then made a beep and gave two "you are not connected" type error messages.

#18 User is offline   Stevano 

• Pip

Posted 2020-June-20, 08:21

Connection is lost within 10 minutes or less every time I log on, i..e.dozens of times in the past few weeks.

#19 User is offline   ma2288 

• Pip

Posted 2020-June-20, 09:07

I see this is an older post but it is the same thing that is happening to me and has for quite awhile. It happens on 2 different pc's and my Samsung android phone. I can be playing along and then all of a sudden my connection is lost to BBO. This never happens when playing other online games or "surfing" the internet. Just when playing on BBO. I am not playing "real time" play but just doing "robot" play. I have called my ISP and they are saying it is not the Wireless router/modem. Any idea of something I can check?

#20 User is offline   gbb483 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2020-June-21, 00:23

I have a tablet with both WiFi (BT) and 3G (EE). I get disconnected quite often with BT, but rarely if at all with EE. I now switch the WiFi off whilst using BBO and my disconnection problems are beginning to recede. Its annoying, because I would prefer to use my Windows 10 laptop with V3, but that's limited to WiFi, and the tablet is an old one on which the Table Options for Teams don't work properly.

I may try using the tablet as a hot-spot for the laptop, but I'm not sure how much extra data W10 will try and pump down it.

It would be useful if all the clients could warn the user when there were connection issues - a 'beach balling' cursor perhaps?

And for the technically minded - the BT connection is 15M fibre and I have the house served with powerline devices which give me 200M between the devices and the router, with WiFi ports at strategic locations.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users