BBO Discussion Forums: The Misadventures of Rex and Jay-#5779 - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Misadventures of Rex and Jay-#5779 What to do, what to do..

#41 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-January-15, 04:20

View Postmicrocap, on 2013-January-14, 16:21, said:

It took a lot of replies, but finally someone got the point of posting this hand--

As Justin points out, your whole hand is in hearts and that is not going to help partner much.

You think that all the other 3 bidders didn't notice this? At least two of them mentioned it explicitly:

Lalldonn: I like 3, with both majors looking offside. If partner rejects with his short hearts then I really don't think game will be a bargain.
RHM: We know partner has a distributional hand short in hearts.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#42 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2013-January-15, 14:14

View Postgnasher, on 2013-January-15, 04:20, said:

You think that all the other 3 bidders didn't notice this? At least two of them mentioned it explicitly:

Lalldonn: I like 3, with both majors looking offside. If partner rejects with his short hearts then I really don't think game will be a bargain.

No, but when Justin points it out, it must be true. When other people point it out, it's just noise.
(that's not a dig at justin at all, by the way..... I was just reading some absolute rubbish written by someone on another thread and thinking "i hope the person who posted the question doesn't believe this")

#43 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-15, 14:32

:( kinda a no win situation for me sometimes.

#44 User is offline   microcap 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-January-15, 19:35

No offense intended, I just missed those comments. I MEGO quite a bit-- if you saw Rex's emails on bidding, you would too! B-)

Also, the 10 was in dummy, not also with declarer! :blink:

In hindsight, I think the most important point is to agree with your partner here as to the meaning of the cue bid. At the table, Rex bid 3, but I thought it was game forcing. With my hand, I was going to game regardless after 3, and to the discussion, I think his hand is not worth the cue because of the heart waste.

View Postgnasher, on 2013-January-15, 04:20, said:

#45 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-January-16, 03:50

View Postmicrocap, on 2013-January-15, 19:35, said:

No offense intended, I just missed those comments. I MEGO quite a bit-- if you saw Rex's emails on bidding, you would too! B-)

Also, the 10 was in dummy, not also with declarer! :blink:

In hindsight, I think the most important point is to agree with your partner here as to the meaning of the cue bid. At the table, Rex bid 3, but I thought it was game forcing. With my hand, I was going to game regardless after 3, and to the discussion, I think his hand is not worth the cue because of the heart waste.

I suggested 3, but also because I am not really convinced 3 should be a second invite to 4 here.
The truth is you will always end up in 4 unless you are prepared to pass 2 and I doubt that there is a top player, who would take such a deep position.
In fairness one has to say that taking the low road here may be more accurate but will only increase your chance of attracting a penalty double.
There are advantages of leaving opponents in the dark, if the outcome of different bids are likely to be the same.
I am aware that it did not matter on this deal, but it could have.

Rainer Herrmann

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users