BBO Discussion Forums: Get the kiddies off the street!! - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Get the kiddies off the street!!

#21 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-April-23, 17:41

View Postjohnu, on 2024-April-23, 17:17, said:

Even after cashing an extra spade at trick 2, it's still hard to see going down in 5.

Perhaps a combination of crossing back to hand in the wrong suit and getting overruffed, along with not spotting that East's red card at trick 1 wasn't a trump, and not drawing the last trump later.

#22 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-April-23, 17:57

For those of you surprised by the (lack of) capabilities of beginners, I have a short story for you.

When my parents first retired, Dad thought bridge would be a good retirement activity for them. I was drafted in to teach.

Since I think it's a good idea, and because we didn't have a fourth, I started with the play. I dealt four hands, looked at the cards, determined a contract, explained how the play goes, and we started.

A few tricks in, Mom said "You mean I have to remember what high cards have been played?" and that was the end of that idea.

Many beginners are only a little better than my Mom.

#23 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-April-24, 05:41

View Postsmerriman, on 2024-April-23, 17:41, said:

Perhaps a combination of crossing back to hand in the wrong suit and getting overruffed, along with not spotting that East's red card at trick 1 wasn't a trump, and not drawing the last trump later.

You can afford to have one overruff since that's actually a natural trump trick on normal trump play. You can't afford to lose to A and also lose 2 other diamond tricks. Of course, you could pull the wrong card and lose a trick in a side suit.

#24 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-April-24, 13:06

I know, thus the reason I listed two things and said a combination of both :)

#25 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2024-April-25, 07:40

View Postjohnu, on 2024-April-24, 05:41, said:

You can afford to have one overruff since that's actually a natural trump trick on normal trump play. You can't afford to lose to A and also lose 2 other diamond tricks. Of course, you could pull the wrong card and lose a trick in a side suit.

I only saw the first few tricks of the play but she started by discarding two hearts on the spade honors (the lead giving her a second spade trick), cashed the A, cashed AK, the queen dropping on the left, then ruffed a club low, overruffed. I didn't see the rest but she said something about having miscounted or something like that, but I can only imagine she played a low diamond at some point and lost to the ten as well, which translates into West making three trump tricks from ATxx.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users