• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jacoby disaster

#1 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-December-26, 04:45

I wasn't sure if I should just drive to slam as GIB tends to be too conservative in (among many other situations) J2NT auctions.

But in this case I am not even sure if I can fault GIB as they have a lousy trump suit and my spade splinter is very bad news.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#2 User is offline   fuzzyquack 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-December-26, 05:00

That's a bot question rather than a bridge question. I'd choose to respond whatever shows extras. Bots have a pretty quick B-wood trigger after extras although I doubt the grand may be rationally reached with bots. Showing a stiff ace as a singleton/void after Jacoby creates problems in real bridge too.

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2023-December-26, 06:22

I don't know, I often struggle with hand diagrams. Also because they don't render well in the Chrome browser.

Now I tried to edit the post using my phone with as result that the poll disappeared. Sorry.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-December-26, 07:03

fuzzyquack, on 2023-December-26, 05:00, said:

That's a bot question rather than a bridge question. I'd choose to respond whatever shows extras. Bots have a pretty quick B-wood trigger after extras although I doubt the grand may be rationally reached with bots. Showing a stiff ace as a singleton/void after Jacoby creates problems in real bridge too.

Agree with this.

The probability of reaching slam is higher with a 3 response to J2NT. The 3 denies splinter but shows extra HCP. Hopefully, North bot will cue-bid the club Ace and it will eventually lead to a slam.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-December-26, 07:48

We can bid the grand, but not using GIB's System, we bid length rather than shortage over 2N, but don't bid 2N with a 5 card spade suit (we would bid 2 if the hearts were Qxxx, but 1 with Jxxx).

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-December-26, 11:24

Cyberyeti, on 2023-December-26, 07:48, said:

We can bid the grand, but not using GIB's System, we bid length rather than shortage over 2N, but don't bid 2N with a 5 card spade suit (we would bid 2 if the hearts were Qxxx, but 1 with Jxxx).

We could, but I think we would choose to stop in 6 as North is troubled by the spades situation and possible splits of opponents, especially if it started 1 1 rather than 1 2.

#7 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-December-26, 12:26

The slam should be easily biddable, but it is South that needs to consider the slam/ grand given the known 10-card fit and missing Q - not a pass in my book with 5 modified losers opposite ~7

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-December-26, 13:34

pescetom, on 2023-December-26, 11:24, said:

We could, but I think we would choose to stop in 6 as North is troubled by the spades situation and possible splits of opponents, especially if it started 1 1 rather than 1 2.

The problem with the hand is do you also bid it if the N hand has A, Axx where it's less good and do you also bid it with the 4423 version. We would actually bid it trivially opposite KJ10xx, Qxxx, Ax, Ax but is more difficult opposite the actual hand.

1-1
2-2 (not GF)
3 (6-4 GF)-4 (kickback)
4N (0/3)-5 (signoff opposite 0 of course expecting partner to bid on)
6 (3 and the K)-7

N knows about A(x), AKxxxx, x(x), Kxxx and can count 13 on a 2-1 trump break

This is a plausible auction the way we play, but if N doesn't rush into kickback it can get murkier

#9 User is offline   fuzzyquack 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2023-December-26, 14:50

fuzzyquack, on 2023-December-26, 05:00, said:

To extend my earlier comment, it's the human responsibility to cover up for bot glaring shortcomings. 3 is in my opinion a wrong bid even playing with a good player. Here you play with a moron and your hand is virtually safe at the five level. Just B-wood and take a reasonable risk of raising to six if you here two aces.

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-December-26, 14:54

Thinking it through, even the 1 1 auction should reach grand in our system, as North still knows about the stiff spades Ace and South promises six trumps and/or the Q.

1 - 1
2 - 2 (4SF)
2 - 3
3(CTL) - 3N(me too)
4(CTL) - 4(CTL)
4(CTL) - 4N(even)
5(CTL) - 5N(!Q)
6(CTL) - 7
P

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2023-December-26, 15:22

pescetom, on 2023-December-26, 05:50, said:

Not sure why, but the hand diagram is almost unreadably small.

Edit - spotted the problem, see later. The final ']' was misplaced.

Thanks, corrected

#12 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2023-December-27, 02:08

I don't like showing the shortage holding a stiff ace, it could mislead partner as to the value of their spade holding. I'd class the South had as at least intermediate if not strong and bid 3 or 3NT opposite the Jacoby response.

#13 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-December-27, 05:21

AL78, on 2023-December-27, 02:08, said:

I don't like showing the shortage holding a stiff ace, it could mislead partner as to the value of their spade holding. I'd class the South had as at least intermediate if not strong and bid 3 or 3NT opposite the Jacoby response.

With a 6th heart, prime values and an unexpected singleton, strong for sure. What South cares about most is a diamond control, so let's start with 3 and force partner to show us that.

#14 User is offline   jmcilkley 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2024-January-03, 07:23

I would agree that showing a spade shortage probably puts the robot off with KJ spades looking wasted. I wouldn't bid 3s with the singleton ace but I would think of showing an extra point - 3nt if that shows 15-16.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users