• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

KISS Your lead

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-20, 11:27

MontrealtQ, High standard team event.

The opponents have a non-descript auction, and it is your lead. What would you do and what alternatives do you seriously consider. For those reading the recent articles on self-kibitizing, you ARE allowed to look at your own hand and the auction before the opening lead.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-July-20, 11:45

Hmmm, well, South surely has either the A or K, and I don't think North is bidding 6 off two aces. So... The A and A are marked. Not shocking, most don't open 4 with outside aces in 1st/2nd seat.

Given the quality of our diamond suit, it seems likely that North has a strong side-suit to provide a source of tricks. It seems like hearts, but, possibly clubs. If the hearts are cashing such that declarer can take enough diamond discards, that's a threat.

So, you could lead the 6, some heart, K, or A, and possibly a small club if you're really crazy.

I think if partner has a heart trick, then, I'd wager that we're defeating this contract anyways. Soooo... I'm going to assume that they don't.

A 6 lead, K lead, heart lead all allow the potential for diamond discards on cashing hearts, so, I'm seriously considering a small club here.

Yeah, it's the 2 or the K for me. I think, in a moment of inspiration, I might lead the club. I'm used to partner telling me how dumb I am though when I do things like this. Hahahaha

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-July-20, 22:21

Lamford "MontrealtQ, High standard team event. The opponents have a non-descript auction, and it is your lead. What would you do and what alternatives do you seriously consider. For those reading the recent articles on self-kibitizing, you ARE allowed to look at your own hand and the auction before the opening lead."

++++++++++++++++++
:) I rank
1. K In real life, this is the only lead I'd consider.
2. A Conceivably partner has K, singleton, or a trump trick. Or we might just save an overtrick.

#4 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-23, 11:31

View Postnige1, on 2020-July-20, 22:21, said:

:) I rank
1. K In real life, this is the only lead I'd consider.
2. A Conceivably partner has K, singleton, or a trump trick. Or we might just save an overtrick.
[/hv]

Not unexpectedly the KD beats the contract as declarer has a doubleton, and nowhere for the second diamond to go. The player led the ace of clubs, and now the losing diamond went on the KC in dummy. A low club might work, as declarer has a stiff jack, but I agree that I would not consider another lead.

I would also be terrified that if another lead was necessary, and I made it, I would be classed as a self-kibitzer. We live in strange times.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#5 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-23, 13:53

At the table, I lead the king of diamonds. So does everyone else. Because this is a discussion forum, I consider a club. But in real life I lead a diamond with no second choice.

If I did look elsewhere, a low club must be as good as the ace. The ace wins if partner has a singleton, but this is very unlikely. Either works if partner has the king and a low club might cause a problem if partner has the Q. But I'm not lwading a club.

#6 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-July-23, 14:58

I sort of broke down my thinking earlier, but, yeah. K is the pragmatic lead. I think the A can never be right. Whenever the A is right, so is a small club. But, the opposite isn't true. It's the psychological game, playing the K on top of a low club is only right if I've under-lead my ace. No one is under-leading AQ. And, most don't under-lead aces against slams. I suppose, if declarer plays the K, it's a sign of either how poor a player they are, or how much they respect you as a player. Hahaha

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users