• You cannot reply to this topic

Defending precision 2C

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-July-20, 13:56

Background:

We play weak and at the right vul VERY weak jump overcalls over 1
We play int-strong jump overcalls over a weak 2 and don't change what we do if it's intermediate

What jump overcalls do most people who do something like the above play over a precision 2 ?

The hand in question was at even vul, xx, K10x, AKQxxxx, x

#2 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-July-20, 17:27

The only intermediate jump over calls I have played are against Two over One 1 and 1 opening bids. I guess, I'd have some questions for you if I were to provide any feedback. Are your jump overcalls intended to be single suited? What do you do with a 16 HCP hand with 2 suits? Double?

#3 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-21, 00:41

If you already have an agreement as to what you do over intermediate 2D openers, why would you do anything different over intermediate 2C?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#4 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-21, 01:15

A 2C opening is well defined within a narrow range. In these circumstances a preempt seems to be less useful as your opponents will be well placed to judge what to do.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2020-July-21, 04:17

View Postgordontd, on 2020-July-21, 00:41, said:

If you already have an agreement as to what you do over intermediate 2D openers, why would you do anything different over intermediate 2C?

Well we play weak over a precision spade and 1N which are the openers below, and when I asked partner what he thought, he (who actually plays precision more often than I do) said that a weak 3 overcall was something that was a useful weapon, I wasn't sure.

To Kingcovert: The jumps are single suited, I suspect 3 would be both majors, a 16 count with diamonds and a major if not good enough for 4 leaping michaels would just be overcalled in the major

#6 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-July-21, 07:55

I suspect that it might matter whether opps are playing 2 as 6+ or as 5+. After all, Precision players who play 2 as 6+ are giving up better constructive bidding(*) for better ability to handle competition.

Of course you probably don't want to switch depending on the difference, but it might matter which is more prevalent in your area.

(*) Playing 6+, the (41)35 hands are a bit hard to handle, whereas "everyone" knows that, if the opps don't jump in, the Berkowitz-Cohen relays handle all the possibilities over 5+ 2 very well.

#7 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2020-July-21, 10:19

Cyberyeti "Background: We play weak and at the right vul VERY weak jump overcalls over 1 We play int-strong jump overcalls over a weak 2 and don't change what we do if it's intermediate. What jump overcalls do most people who do something like the above play over a precision 2 ?"
++++++++++++++++++++++
On the given hand I overcall 2. Over an opponent's weak 2 or Precision 2, the kind of structure I like:
- X = T/O
- 2/2/2 = NAT 5+ cards.
- 2NT = NAT 16-18 HCP.
- 3 = ART 5+ 5+ .
- 3/3/3 = NAT F/G Sets suit. Invites cues.
- 3N = NAT often based on a long suit.
- 4 = ART 5+ 5+ .
- 4 = ART 5+ 5+ .

#8 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2020-July-21, 12:32

View Postnige1, on 2020-July-21, 10:19, said:

Cyberyeti "Background: We play weak and at the right vul VERY weak jump overcalls over 1 We play int-strong jump overcalls over a weak 2 and don't change what we do if it's intermediate. What jump overcalls do most people who do something like the above play over a precision 2 ?"
On the given hand I overcall 2. Over an opponent's weak 2 or Precision 2, the kind of structure I like:
- X = T/O
- 2/2/2 = NAT 5+ cards.
- 2NT = NAT 16-18 HCP.
- 3 = ART 5+ 5+ .
- 3/3/3 = NAT F/G Set's suit. Invites cues.
- 3N = NAT often based on a long suit.
- 4 = ART 5+ 5+ .
- 4 = ART 5+ 5+ .

I like the two-way Leaping Michaels, but am unsure about the GF natural JS over an intermediate bid. It is interesting.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users