BBO Discussion Forums: Uncomfortable - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Uncomfortable

Poll: Uncomfortable (43 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call?

1. 2N (34 votes [79.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 79.07%

2. 3C (meaning what?) (1 votes [2.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.33%

3. 3H (1 votes [2.33%] - View)

4. 3S (6 votes [13.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.95%

5. Other (1 votes [2.33%] - View)

6. Pass (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2016-March-20, 06:11

A K
Q J 6 5 3
J
Q 10 8 6 4

You open 1, LHO overcalls 2, P bids 2 (forcing), which comes back to you. I don't know the vul - this was passed to me. Assume scoring is some form of imps. What's your call?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2016-March-20, 06:23

I don't think 2N is a lie in any way, but 3 is.

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-20, 08:53

there is nothing "robust" about this 13 count. I have a great deal of pride in my spade AK and club stop but nothing much else. Bidding more than 2n seems wrong and catering to spades with no worries in clubs seems like heading in the wrong direction.

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-20, 10:24

I can't think of any "other" I would want to bid here. So the question is which is the least worst bad bid. I pick 2NT. I don't like it, but I like the other options less.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2016-March-20, 12:58

I'm in with the 2 NT crowd.

It isn't great to have to bid it as NT may be a terrible contract because of transportation issue. But what's the alternative?

OTOH, unless LHO has made a 2 overcall on a really bad suit, partner ought to have some good values and possibly something in beyond anything held in . 2 was a forcing bid after all.

2 NT also frees up the whole 3 level for partner to describe his/her hand. If partner rebids a major we play game in that suit.

#6 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-20, 16:04

A VERY uncomfortable 2nt bid that may present an even worse conundrum coming up.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#7 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2016-March-20, 18:04

Maybe i'm crazy, but i'm very comfortable with 2NT here. It's economical, describes my hand relatively accurately and if we have a better contract than 3NT we've got plenty of room to find it!

#8 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-21, 03:16

Passing 2s would be a decent gamble particularly non vul.

If you're too scared to pass of course you bid 2nt. This part is a non-question. Anything else would be ridiculous.

#9 User is offline   daffydoc 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-21, 06:26

For the one person who said pass - if thats your action hope you have a large stable of partners cause you will lose this one quickly - one CANNOT pass forcing bids and expect partner to be understanding about it - it would a a unilateral action which serious players cannot abide. Better you bid something and perhaps land in a horrible spot then be right and lose a partner. Daffydoc

#10 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-21, 07:44

3hts nothing else even close to consideration,,

#11 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-21, 09:58

View Postdaffydoc, on 2016-March-21, 06:26, said:

For the one person who said pass - if thats your action hope you have a large stable of partners cause you will lose this one quickly - one CANNOT pass forcing bids and expect partner to be understanding about it - it would a a unilateral action which serious players cannot abide. Better you bid something and perhaps land in a horrible spot then be right and lose a partner. Daffydoc

This is the standard reply (which i fully expected to get). All it shows is a lack of moral courage. Should you be trying to find the bid which has the biggest positive expectation or which has the smallest chance of annoying partner?

If you make unilateral decisions too frequently you're probably a very deluded person, but sometimes constant buck-passing doesn't get the job done and someone needs to stick their neck out.

If we got a bad result on the back of it, I would expect my partner to appreciate I was trying to get us the best result on the board just as I expect the same of him whenever he takes any decision, mundane or otherwise.

As for the expectation from passing versus bidding on, I assess the former as having a better return on average non-vul. You should devote your time to proving me wrong.

#12 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-21, 11:58

View Postwank, on 2016-March-21, 09:58, said:

This is the standard reply (which i fully expected to get). All it shows is a lack of moral courage. Should you be trying to find the bid which has the biggest positive expectation or which has the smallest chance of annoying partner?

If you make unilateral decisions too frequently you're probably a very deluded person, but sometimes constant buck-passing doesn't get the job done and someone needs to stick their neck out.

If we got a bad result on the back of it, I would expect my partner to appreciate I was trying to get us the best result on the board just as I expect the same of him whenever he takes any decision, mundane or otherwise.

Agree. It's a kind of bridge player's fallacy, committed in almost every thread on BBF, to think that just because an action can have silly outcomes, it must be wrong.

#13 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-21, 12:11

All it shows is a lack of moral courage.

Au contraire mon chum.

I've seen countless partnerships disintegrate when the partner starts overbidding to compensate for impending moral courage and if I do it twice with the same partner the Director or a committee will roll back my successes if my partner so much as flutters an eyelash before they make that forcing bid.

Passing a reverse after having responded on a (the wrong) shapely 5 count is not in the same league as this one.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#14 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-21, 13:06

Pass says i dont trust you p, great but who else is on your side at the table? Utter tosh to pass.

#15 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2016-March-21, 13:47

As for the expectation from passing versus bidding on, I assess the former as having a better return on average non-vul. You should devote your time to proving me wrong.

"moral courage" What the heck is that in a card game? Are you a lawyer?

How could lying to you partner be "moral" anything?

#16 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-21, 14:32

View Postfourdad, on 2016-March-21, 13:47, said:

"moral courage" What the heck is that in a card game? Are you a lawyer?

How could lying to you partner be "moral" anything?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courage,

especially:

"Courage (also called bravery, bravado or valour) is the choice and willingness to confront agony, pain, danger, uncertainty or intimidation. Physical courage is courage in the face of physical pain, hardship, death or threat of death, while moral courage is the ability to act rightly in the face of popular opposition, shame, scandal, discouragement, or personal loss."

#17 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-21, 16:16

Try foolhardy, lack of discipline, incomptence not courage,
Courage is not the right word, treachery, cowardice , deserting your only friend,
Or better still very very bad bridge.

#18 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-21, 16:59

I don't think pass is right unless LHO is a very sound overcaller, but I don't think it's terrible.

However, if partner wants to pass on these hands, I think we're better off playing non-forcing free bids (and I'm happy to play them). This isn't an annoyance at breaking agreements so much as a recognition that we should be playing systems that match our natural inclinations.

#19 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-21, 20:50

Should you be trying to find the bid which has the biggest positive expectation or which has the smallest chance of annoying partner?

Although I agree in principle that both partners should be allowed to sometimes take speculative action, the fact that you are proposing to pass 2S on this hand suggests that maybe you're not ready for that kind of power... ;)

Partner should have a relatively sound 2S bid because they have the option to double 2C and then convert to 2S and if partner has stretched in terms of HCP, then then they should have short clubs, extra spade length or both!

If partner rebids a non-forcing 3S, you have an obvious 4S raise.

Finally, holding 2 keycards and a diamond control, slam is absolutely in the picture. How about [QJT9xxx AKx xxx ---] or something similar?

If I held an actual minimum hand like [xx KQxxx Kx Kxxx] AND I had a hint from RHO's tempo that they might have some values, then pass *might* have some merit.

#20 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2016-March-21, 22:41

View PostJinksy, on 2016-March-20, 06:11, said:

A K
Q J 6 5 3
J
Q 10 8 6 4

You open 1, LHO overcalls 2, P bids 2 (forcing), which comes back to you. I don't know the vul - this was passed to me. Assume scoring is some form of imps. What's your call?
I rank
  • 2N = NAT. Perhaps they won't lead a .
  • 3 = NAT. Susceptible to ruffs but could well win the post-mortem.
  • 3 = NAT but daft.
  • 3 = UCB and demented.
  • Other e.g. Wank's Pass (or an urgent telephone summons) might be best of all.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users