BBO Discussion Forums: What do you expect for this double? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you expect for this double?

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-December-15, 16:30

At his first turn to bid, South could have overcalled a 15-18 NT or made a takeout double which only promises 3 cards in each major. What do you expect him to have now? Which North hands should leave the double in?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-15, 16:42

Which hand were you😕? Without prior discussion I would guess a good 13 to a bad 15 with clubs over declarer to penalize if they rescue. And some kind of tolerance for S in case the balancing was particularly weak or shapely. Maybe sth like

Qx
AJx
Qxxx
KQTx

Which is a normal pass over 1C.

So, what happenned?

#3 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-15, 16:54

Easts 1nt bid shows 18-19 balanced but obviously they don't have it. I'm putting green and red cards in my lap and playing them as appropriate and don't care what the double shows as they may declare like they bid.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#4 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-15, 17:33

North should trust his partner and pass .
South usually have a 6-card plus minor suit with a A and a K in two of side suits,and usually it is a long suit.

#5 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-15, 18:05

Basically pure penalties. Imo North should always leave the double in unless he doesn't really have his bid. 12-14 balanced that couldn't act over 1C seems like the typical hand.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#6 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-16, 13:28

View Postbroze, on 2015-December-15, 18:05, said:

Basically pure penalties. Imo North should always leave the double in unless he doesn't really have his bid. 12-14 balanced that couldn't act over 1C seems like the typical hand.

That doesn't seem like pure penalties. I'd expect a lot of 6-counts to balance (and I'd consider it having their bid).
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#7 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-16, 17:34

View PostJinksy, on 2015-December-16, 13:28, said:

That doesn't seem like pure penalties. I'd expect a lot of 6-counts to balance (and I'd consider it having their bid).

I think this is just semantics. Let's not forget either that when the opening 18 count plays out of its hand it's less likely to score as well as (say) a 14 count playing opposite a four count. I would expect to beat 1N most of the time with a split deck and sometimes balancer will have a 10 count.

Why, do you think the double means something different? Imo it has to be this (or of course a penalty pass...)
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#8 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2015-December-16, 18:22

It seems weird to me to have the cheapest bid here show a really rare hand type. I consider it quite exceptional to hold a 13-14 point hand that passed over 1. But I consider it pretty normal to hold a 10-11 point hand that would like to show some values now. So I thought double should be "do something intelligent, partner" with 10-11 points and, say, 2452 shape. But maybe I'm wrong.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-17, 02:25

Double post
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-17, 02:25

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-December-16, 18:22, said:

It seems weird to me to have the cheapest bid here show a really rare hand type. I consider it quite exceptional to hold a 13-14 point hand that passed over 1. But I consider it pretty normal to hold a 10-11 point hand that would like to show some values now. So I thought double should be "do something intelligent, partner" with 10-11 points and, say, 2452 shape. But maybe I'm wrong.

To me most intelligent thing to do with 10-11 hcp and no fit, when opener showed 18-19 balanced, is not to ask pd to do something intelligent. Especially after forgetting to overcall with 10-11 hcp with the shape you suggested ( 2452) over 1

Double is penalty for me. Double can be made by hands like

- 13-14 hcp balanced hands
- 15-16 hcp with long clubs which was unable to start 1 NT. Such as x KQx AQx AJT9xx or alike.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-17, 07:35

View Postmgoetze, on 2015-December-16, 18:22, said:

Why is it exceptional to hold 13-14 hcp? It is completely normal to pass with that many values and no 5-card suit, and no shape for a takeout double.
It is certainly more likely than having 10 hcp and five cards in a suit I could have overcalled at the one-level.
In fact, given that we can rule out hands with 3+spades, there are basically no hands with 14 hcp that would act over 1, but would pass if you took away a king (but keep the same shape).

Sorry I am complaining about your posts so often but so often I just do not understand where your questions is coming from.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#12 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-19, 02:14

You say penalty is a small target but it's a smaller target for partner to have a t/o double. That would involve p having fewer than 3 spades and fewer than 3 clubs but not having an overcall. That means he must have 5 low diamonds. He could bid 2s on a good doubleton. So he's either got all his points as a very chunky doubletob club or an almost solid heart suit (i'm assuming no 4 card heart overcalls vul but if you think he would that removes even more hands).

Xx akxx xxxxx kx or xx kjxx xxxxx aq

#13 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-December-19, 04:37

You might look for a penalty with 9 after partner opened and they doubled.
So here I'd look for a penalty with any 11 without spades, since partner may be balancing with 9.

#14 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-December-19, 17:13

One of the few pure penalty Xs in bridge!
The artist formerly known as jlall

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users