BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1080 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#4401 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-January-29, 10:39

Question: how do you get the quote source in the header to the quote?

Nevermind, I found it!

#4402 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-January-29, 10:57

ldrews, on 2017-January-29, 10:32, said:

Well, since Trump voters currently have power, would you find it acceptable for them to shoot you?

You do understand that I was being facetious, correct?

With this said and done, I view the Trump voters as an unhealthy aberration, one that is already war with me and mine.
I am more than happy to up the ante...

I am not doing anything violent. I am not breaking laws. However, I have a long list of companies that I am boycotting and individuals that I am cutting out of my life.

And in all honesty, if I knew that I could pay a nickel and in so doing, stop you from suffering a horrible painful death I'd keep my money and sleep like a baby...
Alderaan delenda est

#4403 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-29, 11:03

ldrews, on 2017-January-29, 10:30, said:

This doesn't answer the question. What is your alternative solution?

My solution to solve the crisis in Syria is to drop an atomic bomb on North Korea. What is your alternative solution?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4404 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2017-January-29, 11:11

ldrews, on 2017-January-29, 07:41, said:

Apparently a lot of people (those who voted for Trump) feel that potential terrorism from people from the Middle East is a major problem. Trump has just made some attempt to address that perception/problem. If you object to his approach, how would you address that perception/problem?

President Obama already had the right approach in place, allying with other nations to eradicate a problem found within their borders, with our aid and assistance, and to utilize less standing army actions and more drone, special forces actions against specific targets while bolstering intelligence sources and relying on the FBI and others to protect from random homegrown/radicalized terrorists actions within our own borders.

That does not mean I think Obama was 100% right in everything he did - but he understood that generational problems can only be addressed incrementally by any one administration.

The lunacy of the Trump/Bannon approach is that they act and seem to believe that the problems of terrorist activity within the U.S. borders can be solved quickly and easily if only the right decisions are made about which groups to exclude.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4405 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-29, 11:28

Apparently a lot of people (those who voted for Trump) feel that potential terrorism from people from the Middle East is a major problem. Trump has just made some attempt to address that perception/problem. If you object to his approach, how would you address that perception/problem?

By teaching people elementary math:
  • How many people died in the USA through Muslim terrorism in the past 20 years? (Note that this includes 9/11. I could have said the past 10 years.)
  • How many people died from gun accidents in the USA in the past 20 years?
  • How many people died from drunk driving in the USA in the past 20 years?

Spoiler

Don't get me wrong. Every victim of Muslim terrorism is one too many. But if you would look at these facts, what would be your priority?
1) Make people afraid of Muslims for electoral gain.
2) Do something about the real killers.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#4406 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2017-January-29, 11:48

You address it with a strong defense and by keeping the focus on being the best country the US can be, even in the face of those perceived threats.

One of Trump's character flaws is that he lets others control his emotions and behavior whenever he perceives a slight, real or imagined. This nasty order is certain to result in more terrorist attacks, by enraging others with the same character flaw as Trump. And there is no reason to suppose that those attacks will be limited to Trump properties around the world or in the US.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#4407 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-29, 12:28

ldrews, on 2017-January-29, 10:35, said:

I find the reactions amazing! Trump says: "Give me 110% of what I want!" The opposition says:"110%! That is outrageous! Nobody gets that extra 10%! We won't give you more than 100%!" Trump:"OK"

Positive reinforcement. Tactics learned that get the (eventual) job done, bluff and bluster included. A form of brinksmanship that worked before and serves Trump well (if only personally and often at the expense of his shareholders).
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#4408 User is offline   USViking 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-29, 15:25

Has anyone here tipped their hat to the threadstarer?

I thought he was full of it, and I paid no attention to this thread, which I thought was stupid.

It was me who was stupid.

God was I ever wrong, God was Winston ever right, and my hat is off to him for his great prescience. Well done Man.

The USA now has a real baboon for a president, who is surrounding himself mostly (completely?) with junior baboons, having been voted in by 62,985,105 baby baboons. The country will be lucky to escape this administration by baboon without a major calamity.

Bismarck is supposed to have said something like:

God takes care of fools, drunks, and the United States of America.

God please help us now.

#4409 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-January-29, 16:05

USViking, on 2017-January-29, 15:25, said:

Has anyone here tipped their hat to the threadstarer?

I thought he was full of it, and I paid no attention to this thread

I paid attention to the thread, but I never believed that this country could have been so stupid.

We're 8 days into the Trump Presidency and we've already hit the first constitutional crisis...
Alderaan delenda est

#4410 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-29, 16:17

cherdano, on 2017-January-29, 11:03, said:

My solution to solve the crisis in Syria is to drop an atomic bomb on North Korea. What is your alternative solution?

Who was talking about Syria? The topic is immigration control into the USA for the purposes of increasing the safety of US Citizens. Neither Syria nor North Korea pose an immediate threat to the US as far as I can tell.

So your solution is to go kill millions of people in other nations in order to feel safer. I guess that is the traditional left/liberal method.

#4411 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-29, 16:24

Trinidad, on 2017-January-29, 11:28, said:

By teaching people elementary math:
  • How many people died in the USA through Muslim terrorism in the past 20 years? (Note that this includes 9/11. I could have said the past 10 years.)
  • How many people died from gun accidents in the USA in the past 20 years?
  • How many people died from drunk driving in the USA in the past 20 years?

Spoiler

Don't get me wrong. Every victim of Muslim terrorism is one too many. But if you would look at these facts, what would be your priority?
1) Make people afraid of Muslims for electoral gain.
2) Do something about the real killers.

Rik

I totally agree that the fear of terrorism is overblown. However, the President has some power to do something about immigration, but relatively no power to do anything about guns or drunk driving. The US tried to legislate against alcohol, remember. That didn't work out very well. And since guns are embedded in our constitution, the President has little power to do anything about it.

Do you have any concrete practical suggestions for addressing these two issues?

#4412 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-29, 16:29

PassedOut, on 2017-January-29, 11:48, said:

You address it with a strong defense and by keeping the focus on being the best country the US can be, even in the face of those perceived threats.

One of Trump's character flaws is that he lets others control his emotions and behavior whenever he perceives a slight, real or imagined. This nasty order is certain to result in more terrorist attacks, by enraging others with the same character flaw as Trump. And there is no reason to suppose that those attacks will be limited to Trump properties around the world or in the US.

Well, I think it too early to judge Trump's effectiveness. After all he did defeat 17 Republic candidates in the primaries and Clinton in general election. He has run a business empire of some 500 companies. And in one week he has initiated actions to carry out several of his campaign promises and also seems to have his opposition in a tizzy. Additionally, his cabinet picks do not seem like pushovers, but rather many of them have experience in managing large organizations.

So, you may not agree with or like him, but Trump seems like a formidable opponent.

#4413 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-29, 16:35

hrothgar, on 2017-January-29, 16:05, said:

We're 8 days into the Trump Presidency and we've already hit the first constitutional crisis...

What constitutional crisis? A judge issued a partial stay on Trump's Executive Order, which stay may be overturned on review/appeal. The Executive Order is well within the President's authority. What constitutional crisis?

#4414 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-29, 16:49

ldrews, on 2017-January-29, 16:35, said:

What constitutional crisis? A judge issued a partial stay on Trump's Executive Order, which stay may be overturned on review/appeal. The Executive Order is well within the President's authority. What constitutional crisis?

The "silent minority" (long-suffering victims of progressive policies) voted and carried the day. Trump may not have been their "piece de resistance" but Bernie was torpedoed by Hil and the Republicans could only present "establishment" (read same old, same old swampsters) candidates so Trump pretty much won by default. Is he satan or is he savoir? The "vocal majority" is proclaiming their displeasure with not being as correct as they expected to be.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#4415 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-January-29, 17:16

ldrews, on 2017-January-29, 16:35, said:

The one where the Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Patrol stated that they will continue to enforce Trump's executive order regardless of the stay
Alderaan delenda est

#4416 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-29, 17:20

ldrews, on 2017-January-29, 16:24, said:

I totally agree that the fear of terrorism is overblown. However, the President has some power to do something about immigration, but relatively no power to do anything about guns or drunk driving. The US tried to legislate against alcohol, remember. That didn't work out very well. And since guns are embedded in our constitution, the President has little power to do anything about it.

Do you have any concrete practical suggestions for addressing these two issues?

What the president is doing is shoot with a nuclear bomb on a mosquito, and even the wrong mosquito. (Correct mosquitos would be Saudi-Arabia or Pakistan, places where actual terrorists came from, were trained and funded.) If he would take equivalent measures against drunk driving his priority would be to ban bread, since everyone knows that bread contains alcohol. The effect is zero and the consequences for the innocent who are affected are tremendous... But hey, he is doing something about drunk driving!

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#4417 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-29, 17:46

ldrews, on 2017-January-29, 16:17, said:

Who was talking about Syria? The topic is immigration control into the USA for the purposes of increasing the safety of US Citizens. Neither Syria nor North Korea pose an immediate threat to the US as far as I can tell.

So your solution is to go kill millions of people in other nations in order to feel safer. I guess that is the traditional left/liberal method.

You are, of course, missing my point.

Obviously, dropping and atomic bomb on North Korea does nothing to address the crisis in Syria.
Similarly obviously, preventing green card holders from (leaving and) re-entering the country does nothing to address the problem of terrorism.

You are misunderstanding the purpose of the EO. The purpose isn't to address terrorism. The purpose is to make life miserable for as many Muslims in the US as the White House legally can (or believes it cans) - just so it can proudly report that it made life miserable for Muslims.
Terrorism is a problem. We blame Muslims for it. Ergo we make their life miserable.

No sane person would consider dropping an atomic bomb a possible solution to the Syria crisis, and non-sarcastically ask for "alternative solutions". And no sane person would consider banning re-entry for green card holders as a possible solution to address terrorism, and ask for alternative solutions.b
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#4418 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-29, 18:29

hrothgar, on 2017-January-29, 17:16, said:

The one where the Department of Homeland Security and Customs and Border Patrol stated that they will continue to enforce Trump's executive order regardless of the stay

Constitutional crisis, hmmph! The government may have overstepped its boundaries (the courts will soon tell us), but apparently only with respect to individuals in transit. And even then we have to wait for the courts to tell us. But a constitutional crisis? Be serious!

Once again let me explain: Trump says: "Give me 110%", opposition says:"No way! 100% at most!, Trump says: "OK"

#4419 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-January-29, 18:43

cherdano, on 2017-January-29, 17:46, said:

You are, of course, missing my point.

Obviously, dropping and atomic bomb on North Korea does nothing to address the crisis in Syria.
Similarly obviously, preventing green card holders from (leaving and) re-entering the country does nothing to address the problem of terrorism.

You are misunderstanding the purpose of the EO. The purpose isn't to address terrorism. The purpose is to make life miserable for as many Muslims in the US as the White House legally can (or believes it cans) - just so it can proudly report that it made life miserable for Muslims.
Terrorism is a problem. We blame Muslims for it. Ergo we make their life miserable.

No sane person would consider dropping an atomic bomb a possible solution to the Syria crisis, and non-sarcastically ask for "alternative solutions". And no sane person would consider banning re-entry for green card holders as a possible solution to address terrorism, and ask for alternative solutions.b

Well, by your definition I must be insane. Green card holders from the countries designated as supplying terrorists/terrorism represent an increased opportunity for terrorists to legally enter the US. Unless you can verify the good intentions of all of those green card holders, then there exists increased risk. Verifying the good intentions is what the "enhanced vetting" is all about. Are you opposed to verifying those good intentions?

In the commercial world, companies mitigate increased risk by requiring the "risky" party to post a bond to cover potential damages/loss. Would you be agreeable to requiring green card holders from "risky" countries posting a substantial bond to pay for potential damages? If the green card holder is an upstanding individual, he/she should be able to persuade an insurance company to post the bond for a reasonable fee. And if an insurance company won't, why should we, the public, assume the risk?

#4420 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2017-January-29, 19:02

ldrews, on 2017-January-29, 18:43, said:

Well, by your definition I must be insane.

I'd use the words "sociopathic idiot", however, insane does save on ink...

What you are neglecting to consider is that that there is risk with everything that we do. I have a pet cat... He might kill me one of these nights. And yet I let the critter into my house because the risk is very very small.

Personally, I feel a lot safer in the company of a Syrian refugee than I would around a Trump voter.
Alderaan delenda est

• 1080 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

61 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 60 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. awm,
  3. Facebook