BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1073 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#10181 User is offline   PeterAlan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-May-21, 06:45

View Postldrews, on 2018-May-15, 06:49, said:

It seems to me that one of the differences in the conversations stems from whether you believe the world is a collection of friendly family members or a collection of competing nations. Those are not mutually exclusive but do give rise to different premises. I hold to the latter view.

From the view of competing nations, it is important to be able to effectively compete, economically and militarily. The steel and aluminum industries are considered essential to the ability to compete militarily and so must be supported/protected/encouraged via tariffs. So "national security" is not just a "pretext", it is primary factor.

The primary factor that magically goes away if China imports enough US agricultural produce?

#10182 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-21, 07:27

View PostPeterAlan, on 2018-May-21, 06:45, said:

The primary factor that magically goes away if China imports enough US agricultural produce?

I would not think so.

#10183 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-May-21, 09:04

From What’s Wrong With Our System Of Global Trade And Finance by John Judis at TPM:

I first learned of Dani Rodrik in 1997 when I came across his pamphlet, Has Globalization Gone Too Far?. That pamphlet created a sensation in a Washington awash with “new economy” optimism. It was an opening salvo against what Rodrik has come to call “hyper-globalization.” Since then, the fissures that Rodrik saw in the global system have become crevasses. Rodrik has continually updated his own critique. His most comprehensive statement was in his 2011 book, The Globalization Paradox.

Rodrik was born in Istanbul in 1957, part of Turkey’s small Sephardic Jewish community. He came to the United States to attend college at Harvard and subsequently got a PhD. in economics at Princeton. He has taught political economy at Harvard’s Kennedy School for most of the last 32 years. Besides writing books and articles, he also has a blog, where he comments regularly on American, European, and Turkish politics. He is a noted critic of Recip Tayyip Erdogan’s administration.

As globalization has come under attack from the left and right, I wanted to ask Rodrik what he thought about the jeremiads from the Trump administration and how he assessed the problems of global capitalism in the wake of the Great Recession.

Real Grievances And Fake Solutions

Judis: During his campaign and presidency, Donald Trump has made a big issue of America’s trade deficit, and singled out China, Mexico, and Germany for blame. When Trump was in Europe recently, he attacked the Germans for having a trade surplus. He even threatened to block German car exports to the United States. Is there any basis for Trump’s complaints?

Rodrik: Like most everything with Trump, I think there is a significant element of truth in the causes that he picks up. He is addressing some real grievances. But then the manner in which he addresses them is completely bonkers. So in the case of Germany, I do think Germany is the world’s greatest mercantilist power right now. It used to be China. China’s surplus has gone down in recent years, but Germany’s trade surplus is almost 9 percent of GDP. And they are essentially exporting deflation and unemployment to the rest of the world.

I think the damage, though, is done to the rest of Europe and not the United States. In addition, it is not a trade problem. It is a macro-economic problem. The solution is to get German consumers to spend more and save less and the German state to spend more and to increase German wages. It is not the trade policies of the US or any other country that is going to be able to address this issue. It is similar to the way Trump has picked up grievances about how trade agreements have operated in the United States. These agreements have created loses, and grievances that have not been addressed, and I think there is a lot of truth to those kind of things, but I don’t think he has any realistic way of dealing with those things.

Judis: So you do think our trade deficit is a problem?

Rodrik: Yes, but I don’t put it on the top of our concerns. There have been times when it is a bigger issue. The U.S. could use more aggregate demand and one of the places it could come from is smaller trade deficit. But you could get the same result more effectively through a more aggressive fiscal stance on the part of the federal government and the states, particularly through expenditure on infrastructure. I do think the low labor force participation is something we should try to bump up and I think there is a place for increasing demand. A lower trade deficit might contribute a little bit to raising it, but I don’t think it’s where the major action is.

Judis: Do you think there is a point in trying to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)?

Rodrik: The damage of NAFTA has already been done. Many communities affected by NAFTA have already experienced sizable losses, but there is no way you are going to bring back the jobs that have been lost. Those are water under the bridge. So we shouldn’t fool ourselves that we can reverse the consequences of NAFTA.

If we are going to be renegotiating NAFTA, we might be able to put a symbolic stamp on a new type of trade agreement, but there is absolutely no sign that the current administration is approaching it that way. I would have let NAFTA be NAFTA. I would have put TPP on hold, and I would have articulated a new approach to trade agreements before starting on new agreements. There is a complete disconnect between what Trump said he wanted to do on trade agreements and what seems to be happening.

Rebalancing Trade Agreements

Judis: Where do you see the disconnect?

Rodrik: I don’t think Trump’s proposed remedies for the issues that he picked up from the angst, the anxiety created by jobs losses have any chance of working. I also thought from the outset his bite would be much less than his bark. That when push came to shove, he would not do some of the radical things that he said would do, like building a wall or putting 35 percent tariffs across the board on imports from China. I am glad he is not doing these things, and I think the optics at some point will look more and more awkward and at that point his base will start to wonder what is really happening with his promises.

Judis: And what should a president concerned about trade do? What are new types of trade agreement that are worth pursuing?

Rodrik: There is a kind of rebalancing we need to do in the world economy. I would put it under three major headings. One is moving from benefiting capital to benefiting labor. I think our current system disproportionately benefits capital and our mobile professional class, and labor disproportionately has to bear the cost. And there are all sets of implications as to who sits at the bargaining table when treaties are negotiated and signed, who bears the risk of financial crises, who has to bear tax increases, and who gets subsidies. There are all kinds of distributional costs that are created because of this bias toward capital. We can talk about what that means in specific terms.

The second area of rebalancing is from an excessive focus on global governance to a focus on national governance. Our intellectual and policy elites believe that our global problems originate for a lack of global agreements and that we need more global agreements. But most of our economic problems originate from the problems in local and national governance. If national economies were run properly, they could generate full employment, they could generate satisfactory social bargains and good distributive outcomes; and they could generate an open and healthy world economy as well.

This is an important issue with the cosmopolitan and progressive left because we tend to be embarrassed when we talk about the national interest. I think we should understand that the national interest is actually complementary to the global interest, and that the problem now is not that we are insufficiently globally minded, but that we are insufficiently inclined to pursue the national interest in any broad, inclusive sense. It might seem a little bit paradoxical but it’s a fact.

The third area for rebalancing is that in negotiating trade agreements, we should focus on areas that have first order economic benefits rather than second or third order. When tariffs are already very small, you do not generate a lot of economic benefits by bringing them down further. When you restrict governments’ ability to regulate capital flows and patent/copyright rules, or when you create special legal regimes for investors, you do not necessarily improve the functioning of our economies. In all these areas, global agreements generate large distributional effects — large gains for exporters, banks or investors, but also large losses to rest of society – and small net benefits, if any at all. In other words, past agreements addressing trade and financial globalization have already eked out most of the big efficiency gains. Pushing trade and financial globalization further produces tiny, if not negative, net gains.

One major unexplored area of globalization where barriers are still very large is labor mobility. Expanding worker mobility across borders, in a negotiated, managed manner, would produce a large increase in the size of the economic pie. In fact, there is no other single global reform that would produce larger overall economic benefits than having more workers from poorer nations come and work, for a temporary period, in rich country markets. Of course, this too would have some redistributive effects, and would likely hurt some unskilled native workers in the rich nations. But the redistribution you’d get in this area per dollar of efficiency gain you’d generate is small – much smaller than with trade liberalization, greater capital mobility, or any other area of the world economy. This may seem paradoxical, but it is an economic fact. This is a major reorientation in our global negotiation agenda we need to think about.

Judis: What is social dumping?

Rodrik: We have remedies against dumping when a foreign country sells things below cost. You protect your domestic company by putting tariffs on the importer who is dumping. Now we often subject our workers to competition with workers elsewhere who are working under very dangerous or substandard labor regulations. These are workers who don’t have bargaining rights and so forth. I think in those cases there is an argument we should have a parallel trade remedy that allows for a policy to protect American or European workers from unfair competition.

We protect workers from competition from other domestic workers. I can’t hire workers in the United States who work below minimum wage, but I can compete back door by outsourcing to a company in Bangladesh and doing it that way. So social dumping is essentially a mechanism that undermines domestic labor standards and other norms. Preventing it would be one way of changing the rules to make them more symmetric with respect to how we treat businesses and workers.

Judis: A lot of things you are proposing are difficult politically. It would be very hard to get an agreement on social dumping given the power of banks and multinationals. Where do you see changing coming?

Rodrik: I think the change comes because the mainstream panics, and they come to feel that something has to be done. That’s how capitalism has changed throughout its history. If you want to be optimistic, the good news is that capitalism has always reinvented itself. Look at the New Deal, look at the rise of the welfare state. These were things that were done to stave off panic or revolution or political upheaval.

I don’t want to overdramatize but I think in some ways we are at the cusp of a similar kind of process. You have the populists at the gate, and the centrist political figures and the powers behind them are looking for ways of maintaining the system, and I think they realize they need to make adjustments.

We say we wonder how the people that benefit from the system, the multinationals, the high tech companies, will ever be willing to change, but we forget where these people get their idea of what their interest is. They operate with a particular narrative. The way to change the way they act is to change their ideas of what their interests are.

I think this might be a moment where this is happening. They are seeing the process they believed was perfect is not so perfect. And they see that if nothing is done, there are going to be a bunch of rightwing populists and nativists and xenophobes who are going to gain in power.

So I think the powerful interests are reevaluating what their interest is. They are considering whether they have a greater interest in creating trust and credibility and rebuilding the social contract with their compatriots. That is how to get change to take place without a complete overhaul of the structure of power.

More.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#10184 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-May-21, 21:46

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-May-19, 17:02, said:

Hypothetically, we might discover that that $1.6M payout for the playmate's abortion was to cover Trump rather than the RNC bigwig...
(You know, the playmate that looks just like Ivanka...)

That would probably be enough get the evangelicals thinking that President Pence might be a good change of pace.

I wasn't expecting this to blow up quite this early...

http://nymag.com/dai...not-broidy.html
Alderaan delenda est

#10185 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-May-22, 11:48

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-May-21, 21:46, said:

This ties in nicely with the link posted by Richard.

But today, we turn our attention to one Elliott Broidy, who may well be moving into the first tier of Trump scandal players. His is a tale of government influence, foreign machinations, piles of money, and even a Playboy model mistress.

A new article from the Associated Press lays out a remarkable campaign that Broidy and his partner George Nader waged in 2017 in order to obtain huge consulting contracts from Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, in exchange for which they would use Broidy’s connections to the new president to help the Saudis and the UAE in their conflict with Qatar, a U.S. ally that houses a critical American military base.

And as the Daily Beast reports, after years of trying with almost no success to obtain federal military contracts, in 2017, Broidy’s company, Circinus LLC, received millions of dollars in defense work. The Trump presidency has been very good to Broidy, and he may have also been very good to Trump himself.

Like many aspects of the Trump corruption scandal, when you peel back one layer you find more and more layers. For instance, you’ll be unsurprised to learn that Nader also has ties to Russia. Like Broidy, at the very least he could be facing criminal charges for acting as an agent of a foreign government without registering. And Nader is now cooperating with Robert Mueller’s investigation.

Once we learn everything there is to learn, the Trump scandals may not wrap up into a neat and easily understandable package. But all the Trump scandals all lead back to one story — a story about incredibly corrupt people, including the president himself, trampling over the law and the interests of the country in order to stuff their own pockets. And it just keeps getting bigger.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#10186 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-22, 12:45

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-May-21, 21:46, said:

While this is interesting, surely one could ask the woman involved? The NDA doesn’t prevent her from discussing every relationship she ever had. So if the NDA is with Broidy, she can tell us whether she ever slept with Trump. And if the NDA is with Trump (or anyone other than Broidy) she can call Broidy out as a liar. Seems unlikely that she’s so loyal to either man that some financial incentive wouldn’t convince her to break silence (about the man she didn’t sign the NDA with anyway).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#10187 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-22, 14:10

Tax giveaway produces dividends

https://www.msn.com/...D6bK?li=BBnbfcN

Who could have foreseen this??? B-)

#10188 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-22, 14:26

View Postawm, on 2018-May-22, 12:45, said:

While this is interesting, surely one could ask the woman involved? The NDA doesn’t prevent her from discussing every relationship she ever had. So if the NDA is with Broidy, she can tell us whether she ever slept with Trump. And if the NDA is with Trump (or anyone other than Broidy) she can call Broidy out as a liar. Seems unlikely that she’s so loyal to either man that some financial incentive wouldn’t convince her to break silence (about the man she didn’t sign the NDA with anyway).

Isn't the purpose of a NDA to not disclose information? If this NDA is similar to the one for Stormy Daniels, breaking the NDA could result in millions of dollars in penalties, must more than the original payment, and enough to bankrupt most people.

#10189 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-22, 14:46

View Postjohnu, on 2018-May-22, 14:26, said:

Isn't the purpose of a NDA to not disclose information? If this NDA is similar to the one for Stormy Daniels, breaking the NDA could result in millions of dollars in penalties, must more than the original payment, and enough to bankrupt most people.

Legally, this is a spurious claim - in a valid contract the damages cannot exceed actual damages. You would have to prove millions of dollars in damages in order to have a valid contract. But a yahoo from the worst legal school in the U.S. might not know this, and even if he did he might try to intimidate by threatening an unenforceable amount.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#10190 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-22, 14:59

View Postjohnu, on 2018-May-22, 14:26, said:

Sure, but the NDA has to be quite specific about what can/cannot be disclosed. The NDA is presumably about a specific relationship/individual, and that individual is either Broidy or Trump (but not both). It's not a blanket "she cannot disclose any information about anything to anyone."
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#10191 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-22, 17:59

The squeeze is on.

A business partner of Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump’s longtime personal attorney, has agreed to cooperate with the government as “a potential witness,” according to The New York Times. Evgeny A. Freidman, also known as the Taxi King, will reportedly “avoid jail time” as part of the plea deal and “will assist government prosecutors in state or federal investigations.” Freidman has been Cohen’s partner in his taxi ventures “for years,” and even managed cabs for Cohen after the state barred him from managing taxi medallions, the newspaper reported. Freidman was charged with “failing to pay more than $5 million in taxes,” as well as four counts of tax fraud and one count of grand larceny. In court on Tuesday, Freidman only pleaded guilty to one charge of evading $50,000 in taxes. He faces four years of probation if he holds up his end of the agreement.

#10192 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-22, 18:26

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-May-22, 17:59, said:

The squeeze is on.

The key point is that almost all of these potential crimes appear to be at the state level which cannot be pardoned by POTUS. While Cohen wouldn't serve time in Federal prisons for Federal crimes if pardoned, if he is convicted of state crimes I'm sure NY state prisons will be just as unpleasant, if not worse. Added pressure to cooperate with Mueller.

#10193 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-23, 04:10

https://www.politico...dd-frank-603388

Trump can mark this as a victory; however, the passage of this bill sets the risk management climate right back to the HOLLYWOOD / VEGAS style banking that caused the 2008 housing bubble.

Irrational exuberance by institutional investors, NEXT EXIT!

House sends major bank bill to Trump, capping years of effort
The House on Tuesday sent a milestone bank deregulation bill to President Donald Trump for his signature, delivering a victory to lenders that spent years fighting to roll back rules enacted in the wake of the 2008 Wall Street meltdown.

The House passed the bill in a 258-159 vote with support from almost all Republicans but only 33 Democrats.

The bill would rewrite some key parts of the 2010 Dodd-Frank law, a signature piece of Obama-era legislation that ratcheted up regulation of the banking industry in response to the financial crisis.

The bill's opponents warned that the effort would put consumers in harm's way and wasn't necessary at a time when the industry is drumming up record profits. But a bipartisan group of lawmakers backing the bill argued that it would make it easier for banks to lend and would adjust regulations to fit the risks posed by lenders of various sizes.

"This is the most pro-growth banking bill in a generation," said House Financial Services Chairman Jeb Hensarling (R-Texas), who helped lay the groundwork for the legislation.

While the rollbacks in the bill are significant, the legislative win for Trump falls short of pledges he had made to dismantle Dodd-Frank. They're also smaller in scope than past Republican attempts to repeal parts of the law. Despite his support, Hensarling himself said, "I wish it did gut Dodd-Frank. It didn't."

"It turns out that taking a centrist approach — one that was derided by one side as milquetoast and the other as a gift to Wall Street — is the only way to get bipartisan legislation through Congress,” Capital Alpha Partners Director Ian Katz said.

The White House hopes to get the bill to Trump's desk before Memorial Day, a senior administration official said, adding that there might be an announcement in the next couple of days about expediting the president's signature.

The legislation was the product of years of negotiations between Senate Banking Chairman Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) and a small group of Senate Democrats who were willing to retool Dodd-Frank despite resistance from others in their party, who assailed the lawmakers for doing the bidding of the finance industry.

The core group of Democrats were Sens. Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.), Joe Donnelly (D-Ind.), Jon Tester (D-Mont.) and Mark Warner (D-Va.). All but Warner face tough reelection contests this year in states that Trump won in 2016. Asked if the Democrats would be invited to attend the bill's signing ceremony, the White House official said invitations hadn't been finalized.

The Senate legislation incorporated deregulatory proposals churned out over several years by the House Financial Services Committee under the leadership of Hensarling, who is retiring in January.

When the Senate passed the bill in March, Hensarling at first refused to take it up because he wanted more House priorities to be addressed. Senate Democrats refused to expand the legislation and threatened to kill it if Hensarling made changes.

As an alternative, Hensarling is now assembling a follow-up package, though it’s unclear if it will be able to attract sufficient backing from Democrats to clear the Senate’s 60-vote threshold.

The bill the House passed Tuesday would ease rules for a wide range of lenders.

The smallest banks would win relaxed mortgage regulations and streamlined capital requirements while escaping restrictions intended to discourage risky bets in bank trading. One of the most controversial elements in the legislation would shield small lenders from mortgage disclosure requirements intended to help fight discrimination.

In a major win for several larger banks and credit card providers, the bill would also create exemptions from enhanced Federal Reserve oversight for banks with $50 billion to $250 billion in assets, such as American Express and SunTrust.

And while the biggest Wall Street players scored significantly fewer wins in the bill than their smaller competitors, a handful of the nation’s largest, internationally active banks including BNY Mellon and Citigroup would benefit from provisions that would soften capital and liquidity requirements.

In addition, consumers would score free credit freezes from credit-reporting companies while active-duty military members would be entitled to free credit monitoring. Veterans who refinance their mortgages would also see new consumer protections.

Taken together, top Democrats with the backing of watchdog groups warned that the rollbacks weren't worth the risks posed to consumers and the economy just a decade out from the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression.

“There are a lot of problems, even with the so-called consumer provisions,” said Americans for Financial Reform policy director Marcus Stanley, who fought the legislation.

In recent days, the biggest question hanging over the bill was the extent to which it would attract support from Democrats — a key data point for an emerging industry narrative that the debates around banking regulation were becoming less partisan.

Political goodwill would help the companies and their trade groups as they gear up to lobby for more rollbacks, including for big changes at the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, which will be left standing under the bill headed to Trump this week.

But as bank lobbyists focused the last several weeks on making sure Republicans led by Hensarling didn't derail the legislation, Rep. Maxine Waters (D-Calif.), backed by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, rallied Democrats to oppose it. Pelosi described it as "another Republican giveaway to big banks."

Waters, Pelosi and House Minority Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) argued against the bill on the House floor Tuesday, joining forces with Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.), the progressive lawmaker who serves as deputy chair of the DNC.

In stark contrast to the two weeks of debate on the bill in the Senate — where Democrats were some of its strongest defenders and Minority Leader Chuck Schumer's opposition was almost imperceptible — not a single House Democrat spoke in favor of it on the floor.

Even House Democrats who had voted for standalone versions of the bill’s components were uneasy supporting the package. It landed in the middle of primary season, at a time when Democrats are feeling more confident about winning back the House and are trying to craft a message that will resonate in November's elections.

"Passage of S.2155 is an important mile marker, but the hyperbolic rhetoric coupled with only modest Democratic support suggest that this may be the only financial policy bill of consequence for quite some time," Compass Point Director of Policy Research Isaac Boltansky said.

#10194 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-23, 09:36

The really troubling aspect of this is that it required so many millions of gullible, ignorant, or simply deluded voters to buy what was being sold. First, Bloomberg reports:

Twitter bots may have altered the outcome of two of the world’s most consequential elections in recent years, according to an economic study.

Automated tweeting played a small but potentially decisive role in the 2016 Brexit vote and Donald Trump’s presidential victory, the National Bureau of Economic Research working paper showed this month. Their rough calculations suggest bots added 1.76 percentage point to the pro-“leave” vote share as Britain weighed whether to remain in the European Union, and may explain 3.23 percentage points of the actual vote for Trump in the U.S. presidential race.

“Our results suggest that, given narrow margins of victories in each vote, bots’ effect was likely marginal but possibly large enough to affect the outcomes,” according to authors Yuriy Gorodnichenko from the University of California at Berkeley and Tho Pham and Oleksandr Talavera from Swansea University in the U.K.

This is eerily similar to the conclusions James Clapper relayed in his new book, that the Russian efforts to elect Dennison worked.

#10195 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-23, 10:28

It has only just come to me that what this president really is is ruthless, ruthless in the manner of John D. Rockefeller and Harold S. Vanderbilt, totally uncaring, unmoved, and untouched by anyone or anything that does not contribute to his personal goals of self-enrichment and self-aggrandizement.

In this, everyone is being conned, supporters and resistance.

It is doubtful this president has any genuine concerns one way or another about social issues but takes the side of whomever he deduces will be most useful to him, cruelly tossing 2.4 million low income woman off health coverage from Planned Parenthood in order to garner the support of the pro-life groups, judging, and maybe rightly, that this group is larger and more prone to vote for him than the group affected.

It took the might of the U.S. government along with years and years to finally disassemble Standard Oil; when the CEO of the neo-Standard Oil is the president and controls the government, there is no solution.

If you understand that this is all ruse to get and retain voters, the following takes on a new meaning:

By Marc A. Thiessen
May 23 at 12:23 PM
President Trump’s critics were apoplectic last week when the president referred to MS-13 gang members as “animals.” Of course, no one should be dehumanized. Yet many of the same people expressing outrage that Trump would dehumanize vicious gang members have no problem dehumanizing innocent, unborn children.

Trump has stood up for the humanity of the unborn child like no president in recent memory. And this is why so many Christian conservatives stick with him. Witness the foot-stomping standing ovation the president received Tuesday night at the annual Campaign for Life gala of the pro-life Susan B. Anthony List. Not only was Trump reportedly the first president to address this incredible organization in its 26-year history, he used the occasion to deliver on yet another pro-life promise, one that his Republican predecessors could not, or would not, fulfill: He announced a new rule to stop indirect taxpayer funding of abortion through the Title X family planning program.

“When I ran for office, I pledged to stand for life, and as president, that’s exactly what I have done,” Trump declared. “Today, we have kept another promise. My administration has proposed a new rule to prohibit Title X funding from going to any clinic that performs abortions.”

Even Wapo op-ed is connable.

#10196 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-23, 14:51

Dotard Dennison is at it again:

From a Yahoo quote:

“If you look at Clapper, he sort of admitted they had spies in the campaign, yesterday, inadvertently,” Trump Dennison told reporters on the South Lawn.

Except Clapper said precisely the opposite.

Appearing on ABC’s “The View” Tuesday, Clapper was asked by co-host Joy Behar whether the bureau was, indeed, spying on the Trump Dennison campaign — as the president and his allies have claimed.

“No, they were not,” Clapper replied. “They were spying on — a term I don’t particularly like — but on what the Russians were doing. Trying to understand were the Russians infiltrating, trying to gain access, trying to gain leverage or influence — which is what they do.”

“Well, why doesn’t he like that? He should be happy,” Behar said.

“He should be,” Clapper said.

If you are upset, you have something to hide, especially as the campaign members approached were, by the campaign's description, a "low-level non-paid volunteer and a coffee boy".

#10197 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-24, 05:51

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-May-23, 10:28, said:

It has only just come to me that what this president really is is ruthless, ruthless in the manner of John D. Rockefeller and Harold S. Vanderbilt, totally uncaring, unmoved, and untouched by anyone or anything that does not contribute to his personal goals of self-enrichment and self-aggrandizement.

In this, everyone is being conned, supporters and resistance.

It is doubtful this president has any genuine concerns one way or another about social issues but takes the side of whomever he deduces will be most useful to him, cruelly tossing 2.4 million low income woman off health coverage from Planned Parenthood in order to garner the support of the pro-life groups, judging, and maybe rightly, that this group is larger and more prone to vote for him than the group affected.

It took the might of the U.S. government along with years and years to finally disassemble Standard Oil; when the CEO of the neo-Standard Oil is the president and controls the government, there is no solution.

If you understand that this is all ruse to get and retain voters, the following takes on a new meaning:

Even Wapo op-ed is connable.

Winston,

Trump is no more ruthless than the very Congressional codgers (politicians) who claimed foul when he became President-Elect.

The 2016 election was supposed to be Hilary's coronation. Since she was an establishment candidate, upper crust Wall Street investors, lobbyists, executive members of the business community, and government agencies would know what to expect from her administration. Instead, everyone got a wild joker card with Trump's victory and that scared them because politics is POWER. Politics decides how the power base will be divided; politics ultimately determines who lives and dies on the streets. Several different stakeholders didn't know if they were going to be on the short end of the stick with Trump's policies and that's unnerving when big money (wealth) and the stability of the capital markets are on the line.

HRC was "supposed" to win the election. She was denied the Presidency by both Obama and Trump; once bitten, twice shy. Out of touch politicians forgot that when they don't take care of the economics of the voting working poor (especially those displaced in the Russet belt), they risk losing elections that were "no brainers". People often vote with their wallet instead of their conscience. Further, it's a strong testament to where we are heading politically when voters put more faith in a snake oil salesman perpetrating as a real estate mogul than a shady Democratic establishment candidate who is chronically engrossed in scandals. Voters had to ask themselves, "In the matter of Clinton versus Trump, do we take the devil we know or the devil we don't know?"

Congress pulled almost all of the levers of government to attack Trump once he became President-Elect. He was too mercurial, inexperienced, unpredictable, and anti-establishment for Congressional, media, and investor tastes. So we have opted to overturn the 2016 election through the machinations of government. I think it's more disturbing when Congress empanels a special counsel as revenge for Trump winning an election than owning the political mistakes that were made in a critical federal election. Trump has been demonized for our current political crisis but he is only part of the problem.

We have a political shell game going on between Republicans and Democrats, and the voter keeps on picking an empty shell and they are tired of it!

#10198 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-May-24, 07:33

From the NYT's Morning Briefing:

A little-known lawyer with no government experience is the latest threat to Europe’s establishment.

The lawyer, Giuseppe Conte, is poised to become Italy’s next prime minister, heading the coalition of parties that led elections in March by vowing to crack down on illegal immigration, challenge budget rules from Brussels and lift sanctions against Russia.

The markets have been nervous about the prospect of a populist government in Italy, which has enormous debt and is too big to bail out. If the Italian economy crashes, the European economy could tank, too.

From What's The Matter With Europe? by Paul Krugman at NYT:

If you had to identify a place and time where the humanitarian dream — the vision of a society offering decent lives to all its members — came closest to realization, that place and time would surely be Western Europe in the six decades after World War II. It was one of history’s miracles: a continent ravaged by dictatorship, genocide and war transformed itself into a model of democracy and broadly shared prosperity.

Indeed, by the early years of this century Europeans were in many ways better off than Americans. Unlike us, they had guaranteed health care, which went along with higher life expectancy; they had much lower rates of poverty; they were actually more likely than we were to be gainfully employed during their prime working years.

But now Europe is in big trouble. So, of course, are we. In particular, while democracy is under siege on both sides of the Atlantic, the collapse of freedom, if it comes, will probably happen here first. But it’s worth taking a break from our own Trumpian nightmare to look at Europe’s woes, some but not all of which parallel ours.

Many of Europe’s problems come from the disastrous decision, a generation ago, to adopt a single currency. The creation of the euro led to a temporary wave of euphoria, with vast amounts of money flowing into nations like Spain and Greece; then the bubble burst. And while countries like Iceland that retained their own money were able to quickly regain competitiveness by devaluing their currencies, eurozone nations were forced into a protracted depression, with extremely high unemployment, as they struggled to get their costs down.

This depression was made worse by an elite consensus, in the teeth of the evidence, that the root of Europe’s troubles was not misaligned costs but fiscal profligacy, and that the solution was draconian austerity that made the depression even worse.

Some of the victims of the euro crisis, like Spain, have finally managed to claw their way back to competitiveness. Others, however, haven’t. Greece remains a disaster area — and Italy, one of the three big economies remaining in the European Union, has now suffered two lost decades: G.D.P. per capita is no higher now than it was in 2000.

So it isn’t really surprising that when Italy held elections in March, the big winners were anti-European Union parties — the populist Five Star Movement and the far-right League. In fact, the surprise is that it didn’t happen sooner.

Those parties are now set to form a government. While the policies of that government aren’t completely clear, they’ll surely involve a break with the rest of Europe on multiple fronts: a reversal of fiscal austerity that may well end with exit from the euro, along with a crackdown on immigrants and refugees.

Nobody knows how this will end, but developments elsewhere in Europe offer some scary precedents. Hungary has effectively become a one-party autocracy, ruled by an ethnonationalist ideology. Poland seems well down the same path.

So what went wrong with the “European project” — the long march toward peace, democracy and prosperity, underpinned by ever-closer economic and political integration? As I said, the giant mistake of the euro played a big role. But Poland, which never joined the euro, sailed through the economic crisis pretty much unscathed; yet democracy there is collapsing all the same.

I would suggest, however, that there’s a deeper story here. There have always been dark forces in Europe (as there are here). When the Berlin Wall fell, a political scientist I know joked, “Now that Eastern Europe is free from the alien ideology of Communism, it can return to its true path: fascism.” We both knew he had a point.

What kept these dark forces in check was the prestige of a European elite committed to democratic values. But that prestige was squandered through mismanagement — and the damage was compounded by unwillingness to face up to what was happening. Hungary’s government has turned its back on everything Europe stands for — but it’s still getting large-scale aid from Brussels.

And here, it seems to me, is where we see parallels with developments in America.

True, we didn’t suffer a euro-style disaster. (Yes, we have a continentwide currency, but we have the federalized fiscal and banking institutions that make such a currency workable.) But the bad judgment of our “centrist” elites has rivaled that of their European counterparts. Remember that in 2010-11, with America still suffering from mass unemployment, most of the Very Serious People in Washington were obsessed with … entitlement reform.

Meanwhile our centrists, along with much of the news media, spent years in denial about the radicalization of the G.O.P., engaging in almost pathological false equivalence. And now America finds itself governed by a party with as little respect for democratic norms or rule of law as Hungary’s Fidesz.

The point is that what’s wrong with Europe is, in a deep sense, the same thing that’s wrong with America. And in both cases, the path to redemption will be very, very hard.

The path to redemption will be very, very hard? Veryly.
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#10199 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2018-May-24, 07:37

Is not Trump the "people's candidate"? Draining the swamp implies using that bottom-land for something and someone. The established power-brokers didn't hold much (if anything) over Trump and the fact that he is not beholden to them has created all this backlash in the media and the deep-state. That he is beholden to other interests is not surprising. He is very much a wild-card AND a loose cannon but how this shakes out is ensuring a full news-cycle for the media, at least.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#10200 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2018-May-24, 07:46

“No, they were not,” Clapper replied. “They were spying on — a term I don’t particularly like — but on what the Russians were doing. Trying to understand were the Russians infiltrating, trying to gain access, trying to gain leverage or influence — which is what they do.”

Well, if the US was not actively applying measures (sanctions etc.) against Russian interests, they might not be so inclined. (The intelligence communities have their own rivalries that hardly need extraneous encouragement...)
Before, the large corporations fear of communism fueled the anti-Russian sentiment. Now, it is part left-over angst and part imperialist competition with a super-power wanna-be. Corporate interests have been at the heart of American imperialism since the early 1800's, we should be used to it, and the "unexpected" blow-back that it always causes, by now.
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

• 1073 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

57 User(s) are reading this topic
1 members, 55 guests, 1 anonymous users

1. Facebook,
  2. Google,
  3. pilowsky