BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#10161 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-May-18, 09:25

Here is a comprehensive list of everything Don Jr. claims he doesn’t know, in his own words (with some partial quotes), regarding his 2016 meeting with Jared Kushner, Paul Manafort and an unclear number of Russians. There are 216 items in total.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#10162 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-18, 13:00

This disgrace needs to be removed from office:

KEVIN LAMARQUE/REUTERS
President Trump “personally pushed” the U.S. Postmaster General Megan Brennan to “double the rate the Postal Service charges Amazon.com and other firms to ship packages,” sources told The Washington Post. Brennan has reportedly resisted Trump’s requests in various White House meetings and attempted to explain to the president the “bound by contracts and must be reviewed by a regulatory commission” and the “current arrangement with Amazon was beneficial for the Postal Service.” Trump has also met with Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin, then-National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn, and Domestic Policy Council Director Andrew Bremberg about “Amazon’s business practices.” This comes after Trump has repeatedly criticized the company, with claims that it is being “subsidized by the Postal Service” and that the Post serves as its “chief lobbyist” and “tax shelter.” Some administration officials told the newspaper that “several of Trump’s attacks aimed at Amazon have come in response to articles in The Post that he didn’t like.” The Washington Post is owned by a holding company privately owned by Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.

This is not some banana republic where a dictator gets to determine state actions against personal enemies. This action is deplorable, and anyone who supports this clown is deplorable, as well.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#10163 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-18, 14:03

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-May-18, 09:25, said:

Here is a comprehensive list of everything Don Jr. claims he doesn’t know, in his own words (with some partial quotes), regarding his 2016 meeting with Jared Kushner, Paul Manafort and an unclear number of Russians. There are 216 items in total.

Can you imagine what Dennison's responses will be like if he ever has to answer questions before a grand jury?

Q. What is your name?
A. I don't know

Q. Are you the POTUS?
A I can't recall

Q. What are the names of your children?
A. I plead the 5th

I hope Dennison will take his testimony prep time seriously as these answers will take weeks to learn so they can be properly matched to the questions.

#10164 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-18, 16:35

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-May-18, 13:00, said:

This is not some banana republic where a dictator gets to determine state actions against personal enemies. This action is deplorable, and anyone who supports this clown is deplorable, as well.

Obama empowered the EPA to use secret science and regulation to declare both particulates and CO2 as existential dangers and their removal as monetary justification for the destruction of the coal industry as well as other draconian measures. Was that okay because it was virtue signalling and agrees with a progressive, environmentalist (Marxist?) perspective?
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#10165 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-19, 03:12

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-May-18, 13:00, said:

Not just deplorable, but it looks like an impeachable offense. The 2nd article of impeachment of Nixon was:

repeatedly engaged in conduct violating the constitutional rights of citizens, impairing the due and proper administration of justice and the conduct of lawful inquiries, or contravening the laws governing agencies of the executive branch and the purposed of these agencies.

One of the primary reasons for article 2 was that Nixon sent an enemies list to the IRS commissioner to audit and harass people on the list.

#10166 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-May-19, 06:37

From Why Germans Are Getting Fed Up with America by Leonid Bershidsky at Bloomberg:

Germans have never liked U.S. President Donald Trump, and the backlash against his actions is stronger than ever after he pulled the U.S. out of the Iran nuclear deal last week. But there’s a growing gap between the German establishment and German voters: The former may be anti-Trump, but the latter are increasingly anti-American.

German Chancellor Angel Merkel vented her frustration with Trump in a speech in the North Rhine-Westphalia city of Muenster on Friday, saying his Iran decision “undermines trust in the international order.” “If everybody does just what they want, that’s bad news for the world,” Merkel said.

This outburst coincided with one of the most provocative covers Germany’s highly respected weekly Der Spiegel ever published — an outstretched middle finger bearing Trump’s likeness, with the English caption, “Goodbye, Europe!” Spiegel’s editorial to go with this image called on Europe to join the anti-Trump resistance:

The West as we once knew it no longer exists. Our relationship to the United States cannot currently be called a friendship and can hardly be referred to as a partnership. President Trump has adopted a tone that ignores 70 years of trust. He wants punitive tariffs and demands obedience. It is no longer a question as to whether Germany and Europe will take part in foreign military interventions in Afghanistan or Iraq. It is now about whether trans-Atlantic cooperation on economic, foreign and security policy even exists anymore. The answer: No.

These are strong words. But of course, there was nothing in Merkel’s speech about dissolving Germany’s alliance with the U.S., and the Spiegel editorial only calls on Europe to “begin preparing for a post-Trump America and seek to avoid provoking Washington until then.” The German establishment appears to believe that Trump is the problem and that the time-honored European approach — waiting for the problem to go away, as Europe is already doing with its conciliatory plan to stave off Trump’s threatened steel and aluminum tariffs — is the best bet.

Europe’s defense dependency on America also serves as a reality check. No matter how many times Merkel may tell Trump that Germany plans to raise its defense spending to the 2 percent of gross domestic product demanded by the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, her government’s current budget proposal only increases it to 1.29 percent of GDP in 2019 from 1.24 percent this year — and envisions a drop to 1.23 percent in 2022. “One must say, quite simply, that Europe alone isn’t strong enough to be the global peacekeeper,” Merkel said in Muenster.

German voters, however, don’t care so much about that. The Pew Research Center and Germany’s Koerber Stiftung recently compared Americans’ and Germans’ views of bilateral relations and found that while Americans say security and defense ties are the most important aspect of the relationship, to Germans economic ties and shared democratic values hold more significance.

In general, according to Pew Research and Koerber Stiftung, a majority of Germans — as opposed to only a small minority of Americans — appears to believe the U.S.-German relationship is “bad.” That share has increased since Trump’s election, but Germans were more negative about the U.S. than most Europeans even when Barack Obama — who was popular in Germany — was president.

Germany avoided being dragged into the Iraq war but couldn’t resist U.S. pressure to get involved in Afghanistan against most Germans’ will (now, a majority still wants the troops out of that country). Germans, who had done their best to shed their violent past, watched aghast as the U.S. used torture, extralegal detention and blanket surveillance — practices that were instituted under George W. Bush and partly survived in the Obama era.

Even before Trump settled in the White House, Germans began learning that the U.S. doesn’t handle economic and trade ties in the same ways as they do. The U.S. punitive attack on Volkswagen following its cheating on exhaust tests began under Obama, and it far exceeded anything the company had to face at home or anywhere in Europe; Trump’s complaints about the German auto industry merely continued the same line.

Now, another incomprehensible economic spectacle is unfolding parallel to Trump’s pressure on European steel and aluminum exporters. National Security Adviser John Bolton is threatening sanctions against European companies for dealing with Iran — and, at the same time, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is promising U.S. investment in North Korea if it denuclearizes. Wasn’t that what the Iran deal was about?

“So, American firms will soon be able to do business in North Korea, but not European ones in Iran,” commentator Mark Schieritz wrote on Twitter. Schieritz published a column in Zeit Online arguing that the U.S. was no longer a partner but a rival for Europe. He argued that time had come for Europe to confront the U.S. and respond to its “blackmail” in a tit-for-tat format — something the more sober Spiegel editorial didn’t advocate.

The cautious German elite, led by Merkel with her preference for compromise in any situation, has been holding back the anti-American sentiment so far. But that position may become untenable as Germans realize their country isn’t getting much out of being a U.S. ally. A majority can’t imagine a situation in which U.S. soldiers would need to defend Germany against aggression, and as the values gap with the U.S. grows and the economic benefits of partnership shrink, anti-Americanism can become an increasingly attractive political card to play.

Germany has done the U.S. a favor by not seeking a leadership role in the decades since its reunification. There’s no guarantee, however, that post-Merkel it won’t take a more assertive stance, using the European Union as a vehicle for its ambition. Even if a post-Trump U.S. government walks back some of his unilateralism, the mistrust that’s been building up for years won’t go away overnight.

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#10167 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2018-May-19, 06:52

View Posty66, on 2018-May-19, 06:37, said:

From Why Germans Are Getting Fed Up with America by Leonid Bershidsky at Bloomberg:

Well, you know that the motto for lots of folks is, "Real men don't think things through." That's why those folks love Trump and hated Obama.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#10168 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-19, 08:12

From Yahoo:

“Mueller already has everything that they have requested and the only point of a presidential interview is to set a perjury trap,” Hannity said in comments posted online by Media Matters. “This witch hunt is now a direct threat to this American republic. Mueller is causing irreparable damage to the rule of law in this country.”

I really would like to hear a genuine defense of this claim. How is it possible that following the law does irreparable damage to the law? How can a lawful inquiry threaten the American republic?

And as a first amendment question, isn't this a bit like yelling, "fire" in a crowded theater when there is no fire?

#10169 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2018-May-19, 11:21

From The Untold Story of Robert Mueller's Time in Combat by Garrett Graffe at Wired:

ONE DAY IN the summer of 1969, a young Marine lieutenant named Bob Mueller arrived in Hawaii for a rendezvous with his wife, Ann. She was flying in from the East Coast with the couple’s infant daughter, Cynthia, a child Mueller had never met. Mueller had taken a plane from Vietnam.

After nine months at war, he was finally due for a few short days of R&R outside the battle zone. Mueller had seen intense combat since he last said goodbye to his wife. He’d received the Bronze Star with a distinction for valor for his actions in one battle, and he’d been airlifted out of the jungle during another firefight after being shot in the thigh. He and Ann had spoken only twice since he’d left for South Vietnam.

Despite all that, Mueller confessed to her in Hawaii that he was thinking of extending his deployment for another six months, and maybe even making a career in the Marines.

Ann was understandably ill at ease about the prospect. But as it turned out, she wouldn’t be a Marine wife for much longer. It was standard practice for Marines to be rotated out of combat, and later that year Mueller found himself assigned to a desk job at Marine headquarters in Arlington, Virginia. There he discovered something about himself: “I didn’t relish the US Marine Corps absent combat.”

So he headed to law school with the goal of serving his country as a prosecutor. He went on to hold high positions in five presidential administrations. He led the Criminal Division of the Justice Department, overseeing the US investigation of the Lockerbie bombing and the federal prosecution of the Gambino crime family boss John Gotti. He became director of the FBI one week before September 11, 2001, and stayed on to become the bureau’s longest-serving director since J. Edgar Hoover.

And yet, throughout his five-decade career, that year of combat experience with the Marines has loomed large in Mueller’s mind. “I’m most proud the Marines Corps deemed me worthy of leading other Marines,” he told me in a 2009 interview.

Today, the face-off between Special Counsel Robert Mueller and President Donald Trump stands out, amid the black comedy of Trump’s Washington, as an epic tale of diverging American elites: a story of two men—born just two years apart, raised in similar wealthy backgrounds in Northeastern cities, both deeply influenced by their fathers, both star prep school athletes, both Ivy League educated—who now find themselves playing very different roles in a riveting national drama about political corruption and Russia’s interference in the 2016 election. The two men have lived their lives in pursuit of almost diametrically opposed goals—Mueller a life of patrician public service, Trump a life of private profit.

Those divergent paths began with Vietnam, the conflict that tore the country apart just as both men graduated from college in the 1960s. Despite having been educated at an elite private military academy, Donald Trump famously drew five draft deferments, including one for bone spurs in his feet. He would later joke, repeatedly, that his success at avoiding sexually transmitted diseases while dating numerous women in the 1980s was “my personal Vietnam. I feel like a great and very brave soldier.”

Mueller, for his part, not only volunteered for the Marines, he spent a year waiting for an injured knee to heal so he could serve. And he has said little about his time in Vietnam over the years. When he was leading the FBI through the catastrophe of 9/11 and its aftermath, he would brush off the crushing stress, saying, “I’m getting a lot more sleep now than I ever did in Vietnam.” One of the only other times his staff at the FBI ever heard him mention his Marine service was on a flight home from an official international trip. They were watching We Were Soldiers, a 2002 film starring Mel Gibson about some of the early battles in Vietnam. Mueller glanced at the screen and observed, “Pretty accurate.”

His reticence is not unusual for the generation that served on the front lines of a war that the country never really embraced. Many of the veterans I spoke with for this story said they’d avoided talking about Vietnam until recently. Joel Burgos, who served as a corporal with Mueller, told me at the end of our hour-long conversation, “I’ve never told anyone most of this.”

Yet for almost all of them—Mueller included—Vietnam marked the primary formative experience of their lives. Nearly 50 years later, many Marine veterans who served in Mueller’s unit have email addresses that reference their time in Southeast Asia: gunnysgt, 2-4marine, semperfi, ­PltCorpsman, Grunt. One Marine’s email handle even references Mutter’s Ridge, the area where Mueller first faced large-scale combat in December 1968.

The Marines and Vietnam instilled in Mueller a sense of discipline and a relentlessness that have driven him ever since. He once told me that one of the things the Marines taught him was to make his bed every day. I’d written a book about his time at the FBI and was by then familiar with his severe, straitlaced demeanor, so I laughed at the time and said, “That’s the least surprising thing I’ve ever learned about you.” But Mueller persisted: It was an important small daily gesture exemplifying follow-through and execution. “Once you think about it—do it,” he told me. “I’ve always made my bed and I’ve always shaved, even in Vietnam in the jungle. You’ve put money in the bank in terms of discipline.”

Mueller’s former Princeton classmate and FBI chief of staff W. Lee Rawls recalled how Mueller’s Marine leadership style carried through to the FBI, where he had little patience for subordinates who questioned his decisions. He expected his orders to be executed in the Hoover building just as they had been on the battlefield. In meetings with subordinates, Mueller had a habit of quoting Gene Hackman’s gruff Navy submarine captain in the 1995 Cold War thriller Crimson Tide: “We’re here to preserve democracy, not to practice it.”

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#10170 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-19, 12:09

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-May-19, 08:12, said:

From Yahoo:

“Mueller already has everything that they have requested and the only point of a presidential interview is to set a perjury trap,” Hannity said in comments posted online by Media Matters. “This witch hunt is now a direct threat to this American republic. Mueller is causing irreparable damage to the rule of law in this country.”

When Hannity says the interview is a perjury trap, what he really means is that it is a self-incrimination trap if Dennison answers truthfully. It is only a perjury trap if Dennison is planning to lie. Hannity is obviously expecting Dennison to lie and commit perjury.

The obvious solution is for Dennison to plead the 5th amendment. Oh wait, Dennison has previously said, “The mob takes the Fifth, If you're innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” when talking about a State Dept ee in the Clinton email debacle.

Of course, that 5th amendment ship has already sailed. During his deposition for his divorce from Ivana, he is reported to have claimed the 5th amendment 97 times.

#10171 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-19, 13:08

Another layer of the onion is peeled back.

May 19, 2018
WASHINGTON — Three months before the 2016 election, a small group gathered at Trump Tower to meet with Donald Trump Jr., the president’s eldest son. One was an Israeli specialist in social media manipulation. Another was an emissary for two wealthy Arab princes. The third was a Republican donor with a controversial past in the Middle East as a private security contractor.

The meeting was convened primarily to offer help to the Trump team, and it forged relationships between the men and Trump insiders that would develop over the coming months — past the election and well into President Trump’s first year in office, according to several people with knowledge of their encounters.

Erik Prince, the private security contractor and the former head of Blackwater, arranged the meeting, which took place on Aug. 3, 2016. The emissary, George Nader, told Donald Trump Jr. that the crown princes who led Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates were eager to help his father win election as president. The social media specialist, Joel Zamel, extolled his company’s ability to give an edge to a political campaign; by that time, the firm had already drawn up a multimillion-dollar proposal for a social media manipulation effort to help elect Mr. Trump.

Source: NYT

#10172 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-May-19, 15:06

View PostWinstonm, on 2018-May-19, 13:08, said:

Another layer of the onion is peeled back.

May 19, 2018
WASHINGTON — Three months before the 2016 election, a small group gathered at Trump Tower to meet with Donald Trump Jr., the president’s eldest son. One was an Israeli specialist in social media manipulation. Another was an emissary for two wealthy Arab princes. The third was a Republican donor with a controversial past in the Middle East as a private security contractor.

The meeting was convened primarily to offer help to the Trump team, and it forged relationships between the men and Trump insiders that would develop over the coming months — past the election and well into President Trump’s first year in office, according to several people with knowledge of their encounters.

Erik Prince, the private security contractor and the former head of Blackwater, arranged the meeting, which took place on Aug. 3, 2016. The emissary, George Nader, told Donald Trump Jr. that the crown princes who led Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates were eager to help his father win election as president. The social media specialist, Joel Zamel, extolled his company’s ability to give an edge to a political campaign; by that time, the firm had already drawn up a multimillion-dollar proposal for a social media manipulation effort to help elect Mr. Trump.

Source: NYT

The presence of Erik Prince and the UAE emissary has added interest. In January 2017, Erik Prince was meeting with UAE officials in the Seychelles and "accidentally" met with Russian oligarch and Putin associate, Kirill Dmitriev.

#10173 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-May-19, 16:24

View Postjohnu, on 2018-May-19, 03:12, said:

Not just deplorable, but it looks like an impeachable offense.

Bill Maher talked about this topic during his final rant last night.

Trump can commit all the impeachable offenses he wants, because he's totally safe from prosecution. If he's impeached, it will take a 2/3 vote of the Senate to convict him and remove him from office. And even if we get a blue wave in November, it won't be enough for Democrates to get enough seats to achieve that.

He also theorized on Trump ignoring Mueller's request for an interview. Mueller might then subpoena him, but how would that be enforced? It could go all the way to the Supreme Court, but they don't have any way to enforce their rulings, either.

#10174 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-19, 16:58

View Postbarmar, on 2018-May-19, 16:24, said:

Trump can commit all the impeachable offenses he wants, because he's totally safe from prosecution. If he's impeached, it will take a 2/3 vote of the Senate to convict him and remove him from office. And even if we get a blue wave in November, it won't be enough for Democrates to get enough seats to achieve that.

He also theorized on Trump ignoring Mueller's request for an interview. Mueller might then subpoena him, but how would that be enforced? It could go all the way to the Supreme Court, but they don't have any way to enforce their rulings, either.

Which is why there has been talk of a Constitutional crisis.

#10175 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-May-19, 17:02

View Postbarmar, on 2018-May-19, 16:24, said:

Support for Nixon within the Republican House and Senate was near absolute until one day it completely collapsed.

At some point in time, something will happen that fractures Republican support for Trump. For example, someone might consciously drive a wedge between Trump and his evangelical base.

Hypothetically, we might discover that that $1.6M payout for the playmate's abortion was to cover Trump rather than the RNC bigwig...
(You know, the playmate that looks just like Ivanka...)

That would probably be enough get the evangelicals thinking that President Pence might be a good change of pace.
Alderaan delenda est

#10176 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-19, 22:12

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-May-19, 17:02, said:

Support for Nixon within the Republican House and Senate was near absolute until one day it completely collapsed.

At some point in time, something will happen that fractures Republican support for Trump. For example, someone might consciously drive a wedge between Trump and his evangelical base.

Hypothetically, we might discover that that $1.6M payout for the playmate's abortion was to cover Trump rather than the RNC bigwig...
(You know, the playmate that looks just like Ivanka...)

That would probably be enough get the evangelicals thinking that President Pence might be a good change of pace.

With the current makeup 49-51, it would require 18 Republicans (assuming all Democrats voted to convict) to feel compelled to vote conviction else alienate their own constituency and face voter rebellion.

#10177 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-20, 12:21

With his latest ridiculous Twitter outburst, it occurred to me that if the electorate is stupid enough to believe DD (Dotard Dennison) that the Justice Department, FBI, and all national security agencies are colluding with the Democrats to end his reign of terror, and they continue to re-elect his henchmen then the U.S.A. deserves to go the way of the dodo.

#10178 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-20, 13:29

With this latest, DD (Dotard Dennison) has clarified his position on obstruction of justice - he's all for it.

“I hereby demand, and will do so officially tomorrow, that the Department of Justice look into whether or not the FBI/DOJ infiltrated or surveilled the Trump Campaign for Political Purposes,” Mr. Trump tweeted on Sunday afternoon, “and if any such demands or requests were made by people within the Obama Administration!”

#10179 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-May-20, 15:27

View Posthrothgar, on 2018-May-19, 17:02, said:

I don't think you can compare today's Congress with that of 4 decades ago. I think it has gotten far more partisan since then.

And Nixon was never actually tried after he was impeached, he resigned before that could happen. Trump would never do such an honorable thing, he'll just keep tweeting about how the whole procedure is a witch hunt.

#10180 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2018-May-20, 16:44

View Postbarmar, on 2018-May-20, 15:27, said:

I don't think you can compare today's Congress with that of 4 decades ago. I think it has gotten far more partisan since then.

And Nixon was never actually tried after he was impeached, he resigned before that could happen. Trump would never do such an honorable thing, he'll just keep tweeting about how the whole procedure is a witch hunt.

Yes, but Nixon got the news that the Senate had the votes to convict and that is what prompted the resignation. What turned the tide for the Senate was the tapes of the enemies list and Nixon on tape saying to use the IRS and Justice Department against his enemies.

Today, DD would be elevated by at least 1/4 of the country as a counter-hero for using an enemies list that way.

• 1071 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

111 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 111 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google