• Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-May-02, 11:19

What now?

#2 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-02, 12:51

The same thing we do over every weak NT question, Pinky. Double and take over the world.

Assuming they retreat to s or s (which is no certainty) and P is silent, for me forcing bids are 2N (s and another) and a cue of their suit (lowest two suits else stop ask). So I'll bid 2N then their suit at the four level, then punt 7 if P ever bids them, else prob 6 unless P can persuade me he has a few .

Most awkward scenario is prob that P pulls directly to 2 or and takes away my option to cue. Then I'll prob bid 5N, hoping P takes it as pick a slam, and go to 7 if he bids either of my suits, else play in 6.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-May-02, 14:30

5NT

Too many "ifs" for 7.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-02, 16:18

View PostJinksy, on 2014-May-02, 12:51, said:

The same thing we do over every weak NT question, Pinky. Double and take over the world.

Assuming they retreat to s or s (which is no certainty) and P is silent, for me forcing bids are 2N (s and another) and a cue of their suit (lowest two suits else stop ask). So I'll bid 2N then their suit at the four level, then punt 7 if P ever bids them, else prob 6 unless P can persuade me he has a few .

Most awkward scenario is prob that P pulls directly to 2 or and takes away my option to cue. Then I'll prob bid 5N, hoping P takes it as pick a slam, and go to 7 if he bids either of my suits, else play in 6.

Why do you assume they will run out of NT? There are some of us who don't play pass is xfer to XX.

It will be embarrassing to take only 6-7 tricks in defense when you are cold for 6 or 6 . If you are taking more than that in defense you are probably cold for grand.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-May-02, 17:25

If you don't have a way of showing a strong 2-suiter immediately (does anyone?), I would just start with double. Doesn't seem likely to me that it will go all pass.

#6 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2014-May-02, 17:46

What agreements do you have in place over 1N?

I'd use 2N or 4N depending on what I think partner can best read.

5N might work assuming we play PAS, but would have to be sure partner would sit for 6 over their 6 or 6 when right.
Many have the agreement that 5N with 2P2P shows [one suit other than . So if I show after any of partner's bids, partner knows to correct to 7 with the right hand.
I'd probably stare at this hand for a while if partner answers 6 to 5N, hearing that wag ask "What do you call a 7-card suit?" TRUMPS!!
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#7 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-May-02, 19:35

"If you don't have a way of showing a strong 2-suiter immediately (does anyone?),"....of course!
Definitely NOT double.

2NT to start off with and wait to see how the auction progresses.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#8 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-May-02, 19:41

erghhh.. I'll do 5NT hoping partner bids something. If he bids 6 of a round suit I'll correct to spades, otherwise I'll raise to 7.

Of course, I never hold hands good enough for this to be a problem for me. :angry:
Become yourself.

#9 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-02, 21:12

I think an Astro 2 (spades and another - 54 either way or better) is perfectly fine here.

I raise 2 to 6 (on which partner would certainly raise with the king of trump).

I bid 2N (undiscussed, but surely forcing) followed by 6 over 2. I don't know whether partner will take it the same way, but I think 2N followed by 6 would show better spades than diamonds whereas an immediate 6 would show better diamonds than spades.

#10 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-May-03, 00:22

View Postakwoo, on 2014-May-02, 21:12, said:

I think an Astro 2 (spades and another - 54 either way or better) is perfectly fine here.

I raise 2 to 6 (on which partner would certainly raise with the king of trump).

I bid 2N (undiscussed, but surely forcing) followed by 6 over 2. I don't know whether partner will take it the same way, but I think 2N followed by 6 would show better spades than diamonds whereas an immediate 6 would show better diamonds than spades.

As Astro is passable, I don't think an Astro 2D is a good idea.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#11 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-03, 00:59

edit

#12 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-May-03, 01:08

North alerted South's bid as -
1. Both minors, OR
2. Any big 2-suited hand

Does this conventional overcall have a name?

#13 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2014-May-03, 02:25

Seems a logical convention. I dunno any name for it.

#14 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-03, 14:51

View PostMrAce, on 2014-May-02, 16:18, said:

Why do you assume they will run out of NT? There are some of us who don't play pass is xfer to XX.

I'm one of them.

If either of them has a 5-card suit it's likely they'll pull. Meanwhile P is allowed to have a honour (esp given that, if they don't pull, I expect him to have 5+ of them) or the K, or even the T. With the latter two, we can at least theoretically make 1700, assuming the grand is on.

If the K is in dummy, we still have a chance of taking them for 1400 instead of 980, if P has the A, or 800 if he has the KJ or KT and declarer the J. If declarer has it (and I can't place P with a entry), 800 is odds-on to be 1100 on the same holding.

Meanwhile, it's all very well wanting to be in the appropriate slam, and maybe your methods are good enough to get there without Xing, but mine will struggle. A direct 5N is almost certain to get a round-suit response from P, which leaves you guessing about whether to punt 7 (and wrongsides for a possible 1st-round ruff even if you do get there). Most other suit bids are either preemptive or undiscussed - the only other obviously forcing bids I have without Xing are 2N for the minors (probably NF since I didn't double, though it's hard to imagine P passing), and 4N.

Maybe I could do that and keep bidding s, but it's asking a lot from P to expect him to envisage the hand I have. 4N could be some kind of A ask, or 6-6 in the minors - even if I knew and knew my P knew, I cant imagine wanting to bid it.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#15 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-03, 17:09

View Postthe hog, on 2014-May-03, 00:22, said:

As Astro is passable, I don't think an Astro 2D is a good idea.

Partner is not very likely to have the 6 diamonds that he or she should have to pass the astro 2 bid. I'd be more worried if my minor suit was clubs.

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-03, 19:31

View PostJinksy, on 2014-May-03, 14:51, said:

I'm one of them.

If either of them has a 5-card suit it's likely they'll pull. Meanwhile P is allowed to have a honour (esp given that, if they don't pull, I expect him to have 5+ of them) or the K, or even the T. With the latter two, we can at least theoretically make 1700, assuming the grand is on.

If the K is in dummy, we still have a chance of taking them for 1400 instead of 980, if P has the A, or 800 if he has the KJ or KT and declarer the J. If declarer has it (and I can't place P with a entry), 800 is odds-on to be 1100 on the same holding.

Meanwhile, it's all very well wanting to be in the appropriate slam, and maybe your methods are good enough to get there without Xing, but mine will struggle. A direct 5N is almost certain to get a round-suit response from P, which leaves you guessing about whether to punt 7 (and wrongsides for a possible 1st-round ruff even if you do get there). Most other suit bids are either preemptive or undiscussed - the only other obviously forcing bids I have without Xing are 2N for the minors (probably NF since I didn't double, though it's hard to imagine P passing), and 4N.

Maybe I could do that and keep bidding s, but it's asking a lot from P to expect him to envisage the hand I have. 4N could be some kind of A ask, or 6-6 in the minors - even if I knew and knew my P knew, I cant imagine wanting to bid it.

-If you think they will run out, why are you wasting time with double. If they don't run your pd will. Suppose pd bid clubs or hearts, which is very likely, good luck with expressing 2 suiter of this scale.

-If nobody runs, you cash first 6 tricks and end up looking at your AQxxxxx suit. It is likely that they can score K + 2-3-4-5 club tricks.

Sorry, double seems to me the worst of all.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#17 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-May-03, 22:02

View Postakwoo, on 2014-May-03, 17:09, said:

Partner is not very likely to have the 6 diamonds that he or she should have to pass the astro 2 bid. I'd be more worried if my minor suit was clubs.

Not likely, but possible. Why play joke bridge?
Bidding Astro here is almost as bad a as doubling.

#18 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-May-04, 05:48

View Postkarlson, on 2014-May-02, 17:25, said:

If you don't have a way of showing a strong 2-suiter immediately (does anyone?)

The traditional meaning of a 2NT overcall was a GF 2-suiter and it is is still played at some levels. Playing Multi-Landy it is possible to include these hands within the 2 overcall in exactly the same way as strong hands can be bundled into an opening bid 2 multi.

View Postthe hog, on 2014-May-03, 22:02, said:

Bidding Astro here is almost as bad a as doubling.

Is it? I have seen often enough from very good players that with such strong 2-suiters it is often better to start with a 2-suited overcall than a double. Here you are protected by it being even more unlikely than usual that partner will pass. In addition, the sequences (1NT) - 2 - 2; 3 and (1NT) - 2 - 2; 3NT are available to show GF hands with + and + respectively if you agree to this. So this can certainly work out as a general agreement.

Given that you reject X and 2, what is your choice here if playing the variant in which 2NT shows the minors? We have to do something!
(-: Zel :-)

#19 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-May-04, 06:11

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-May-04, 05:48, said:

The traditional meaning of a 2NT overcall was a GF 2-suiter and it is is still played at some levels. Playing Multi-Landy it is possible to include these hands within the 2 overcall in exactly the same way as strong hands can be bundled into an opening bid 2 multi.

Is it? I have seen often enough from very good players that with such strong 2-suiters it is often better to start with a 2-suited overcall than a double. Here you are protected by it being even more unlikely than usual that partner will pass. In addition, the sequences (1NT) - 2 - 2; 3 and (1NT) - 2 - 2; 3NT are available to show GF hands with + and + respectively if you agree to this. So this can certainly work out as a general agreement.

Given that you reject X and 2, what is your choice here if playing the variant in which 2NT shows the minors? We have to do something!

Unlikely does not mean impossible, does it? Would you bid the same way if your M suit was hearts?

#20 User is offline   the hog 

Posted 2014-May-04, 06:13

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-May-04, 05:48, said:

As 2nt is a big 2 suited, what's the problem?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users