• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Big 2-Suiter

#21 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-May-04, 08:37

I play transfers over weak notrumps just so a hand like this has a second chance. (Unless pard has 6+ hearts and a spade void :o)

Without them 2nt stands out.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#22 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-04, 09:56

View PostMrAce, on 2014-May-03, 19:31, said:

-If you think they will run out, why are you wasting time with double. If they don't run your pd will. Suppose pd bid clubs or hearts, which is very likely, good luck with expressing 2 suiter of this scale.

Because it communicates something honest about my hand, unlike any other call. As Zel said, we have to do something, and other than inventing a convention mid-auction to have 2N show minors or any possible two-suiter, I'm not sure what my better alternative is.

-If nobody runs, you cash first 6 tricks and end up looking at your AQxxxxx suit. It is likely that they can score K + 2-3-4-5 club tricks.

I discussed this in my last comment. If no-one runs (very unlikely, even before accounting for the possibility that they're playing a forcing pass by responder), I have IMO slightly worse expectation than from a direct 5N bid. If they do run, I have a much better chance of finding (the right) grand.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#23 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-04, 11:46

View Postthe hog, on 2014-May-04, 06:13, said:

As 2nt is a big 2 suited, what's the problem?

If 2NT were to have this meaning then the hand is pointless to post, so assume for the sake of argument that you have a client who insists on playing 2NT as showing both minors. Now what?
(-: Zel :-)

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-04, 16:32

View PostZelandakh, on 2014-May-04, 11:46, said:

If 2NT were to have this meaning then the hand is pointless to post, so assume for the sake of argument that you have a client who insists on playing 2NT as showing both minors. Now what?

6 and previous similar topics but was a problem on the leading point of view suggests that this bid will receive a trump lead Posted Image

Imho 7 bid is better than double btw.

Good luck to those who tries to bid a 7-5 1 loser hand scientifically, after they opened 1 NT, + having no agreement.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-May-04, 17:57

View PostJinksy, on 2014-May-04, 09:56, said:

Because it communicates something honest about my hand, unlike any other call. As Zel said, we have to do something, and other than inventing a convention mid-auction to have 2N show minors or any possible two-suiter, I'm not sure what my better alternative is.

I discussed this in my last comment. If no-one runs (very unlikely, even before accounting for the possibility that they're playing a forcing pass by responder), I have IMO slightly worse expectation than from a direct 5N bid. If they do run, I have a much better chance of finding (the right) grand.

Well it is a pity for you that YOU have to invent a convention like this. Others who discuss sequences with their partners already play 2NT as any big 2 suiter.
Just a question - personally I don't necessarily see anyone running after a double, and after you have cashed your Ds, what are you going to do? Lead the SA to hold declarer to 6 tricks? Perhaps you might consider initially underleading your Ds to get pd to put a S through, if he can guess to do so? Seriously, the double is absurd.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#26 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2014-May-04, 23:01

The 2NT bid from South was alerted by North as -
1. Both minors, OR
2. Any big 2-suited hand

East led a club, trumped in dummy. Declarer then played A and a small trumped in hand. When the K fell doubleton, declarer claimed for +1440.

#27 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-06, 08:17

View Postthe hog, on 2014-May-04, 17:57, said:

Well it is a pity for you that YOU have to invent a convention like this.

I'm not normally credited with the Unusual 2N, but thanks.

Others who discuss sequences with their partners already play 2NT as any big 2 suiter.

I'm sure some of them do. I don't believe for a second it's universal, and neither do you. So let's focus on the interesting case when we're not playing it.

Just a question - personally I don't necessarily see anyone running after a double, and after you have cashed your Ds, what are you going to do?

I'm going to lead a D, then look at the table, the state of the match, and make a decision. Yes, if it gets that far I'll have done badly in expectation. I still do not believe the chances of the X being passed out are much higher than 10%.*

Let’s look at the actual hand, which I believe you advocate doing whenever it helps your cause: responder has at least 6Cs and at most 6 points, so he’ll pull. I now have a suit to cue, so I can keep doing so until advancer admits to having a D side suit, after which I can bid 7.

If by some miracle he doesn't pull, P will, which makes life harder, but no more so than it was before I Xed.

* Actually, I’m struggling to think of any lie of cards where an X is odds-on to be passed out. Someone at the table has 5Cs. If responder has them that should be an auto-pull, if P has them I’d expect him to pull unless he has decent values (in which case, as responder, even with a 4333, given a 0-2 count I’d expect him to wriggle out of desperation), if opener has them and receives a non-forcing pass (if his P had a natural XX available), he’s likely to bid them unless they’re particularly weak – in which case chances are P will be getting in with them to return a S.

Much the same goes for the H suit unless it's exactly 444 in the other hands.

#28 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-May-06, 18:04

View PostJinksy, on 2014-May-06, 08:17, said:

I'm not normally credited with the Unusual 2N, but thanks.

I'm sure some of them do. I don't believe for a second it's universal, and neither do you. So let's focus on the interesting case when we're not playing it.

I'm going to lead a D, then look at the table, the state of the match, and make a decision. Yes, if it gets that far I'll have done badly in expectation. I still do not believe the chances of the X being passed out are much higher than 10%.*

Let’s look at the actual hand, which I believe you advocate doing whenever it helps your cause: responder has at least 6Cs and at most 6 points, so he’ll pull. I now have a suit to cue, so I can keep doing so until responder admits to having a D side suit, after which I can bid 7.

If by some miracle he doesn't pull, P will, which makes life harder, but no more so than it was before I Xed.

* Actually, I’m struggling to think of any lie of cards where an X is odds-on to be passed out. Someone at the table has 5Cs. If responder has them that should be an auto-pull, if P has them I’d expect him to pull unless he has decent values (in which case, as responder, even with a 4333, given a 0-2 count I’d expect him to wriggle out of desperation), if opener has them and receives a non-forcing pass (if his P had a natural XX available), he’s likely to bid them unless they’re particularly weak – in which case chances are P will be getting in with them to return a S.

Much the same goes for the H suit unless it's exactly 444 in the other hands.

Here we have a problem. You do not know what an UNT is.

" I don't believe for a second it's universal, and neither do you. So let's focus on the interesting case when we're not playing it." This would not be the case as this is a sequence I have discussed with my partners of course. If you haven't I would suggest you don't play seriously.

"Let’s look at the actual hand, which I believe you advocate doing whenever it helps your cause: responder has at least 6Cs and at most 6 points, so he’ll pull. I now have a suit to cue, so I can keep doing so until responder admits to having a D side suit, after which I can bid 7. "
I suggest you look at the hand again while playing the Barcarole from Offenbach's "Tales of Hoffman"
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#29 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-May-07, 04:01

View Postthe hog, on 2014-May-06, 18:04, said:

"Let’s look at the actual hand, which I believe you advocate doing whenever it helps your cause: responder has at least 6Cs and at most 6 points, so he’ll pull. I now have a suit to cue, so I can keep doing so until responder admits to having a D side suit, after which I can bid 7. "
I suggest you look at the hand again while playing the Barcarole from Offenbach's "Tales of Hoffman"

Can you give an actual argument, just in case I don't have the access to divine revelation you enjoy?

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users