BBO Discussion Forums: What unusual quirks do you or partner have at the table? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What unusual quirks do you or partner have at the table?

#21 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-June-11, 18:48

View Postbarmar, on 2013-June-11, 11:51, said:

You talking about Lynn Deas? I suspect she gets special dispensation just because of who she is.

I was operating Vugraph at a table with her last year. At one point she asked a TD to take her little dog out for a walk or something.

I've never met Lynn Deas, and so I have nothing against the woman, and do have great respect for her bridge accomplishments. However, this sounds an awful lot like taking undue advantage of her reputation, at least. No one should get "special dispensation" just because of who she (or he) is, and no one should think it proper to ask a TD working at a tournament to walk her dog for her.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#22 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-June-12, 08:21

View Postblackshoe, on 2013-June-11, 18:48, said:

no one should think it proper to ask a TD working at a tournament to walk her dog for her.

It seemed voluntary to me. There aren't a whole lot of director calls in the late rounds of national team events, so the directors for those events are not extremely busy. They mostly just pop in every 15 minutes or so to see how the teams are doing time-wise.

#23 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-18, 15:38

I'm sure it would have been voluntary.

I used to fight with my partner to sit South until we both realized that what we didn't like was keeping both the game score and a personal score. So the rule came in that South keeps the personal score, North explicitly doesn't, and everything was fine thereafter.

My partners, however, refuse to let me use the BridgeMates; with good reason, mind you, that's not a quirk.

It seems that most of my partners insist on sitting East; no worries for me.

It is easier (as a lefty) to use the wrong hand to bid; but it drives me nuts when the cards come out upsidedown. I have no idea why.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#24 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-19, 01:02

View Postmycroft, on 2013-June-18, 15:38, said:

It is easier (as a lefty) to use the wrong hand to bid; but it drives me nuts when the cards come out upsidedown. I have no idea why.

This is precisely the point as to why it is easier to draw the cards from the left. From the left you lift the card out of the box up and to the right and continue moving your arm to the right in a simple arc. The cards are automatically oriented correctly. When you pull from the right, the card comes out up and to the right. Now you need to bring it back over the box while twisting your wrist a little clockwise as your arm comes across your body. If you do not so this twist and instead bring the card across your body leading with the hand then the card ends up upside-down.

So, to avoid being driven nuts, either practise the clockwise wrist movement (your hand will now be behind (to the right) of the card as you place it), or simply move the box to sit on your left.
(-: Zel :-)

#25 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2013-June-19, 02:54

View Postmycroft, on 2013-June-18, 15:38, said:

My partners, however, refuse to let me use the BridgeMates; with good reason, mind you, that's not a quirk.

nige1 likes to sit North to operate the BridgeMate. Everyone else in the country tries to get there before him however.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#26 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2013-June-19, 10:45

Actually, I find it weird to watch the arm-twisters (especially the righties who use their left hand to bid). It's always easier to pull from the other side (provided the cards face my opponent, not me, of course).

I, oddly, never have *my* cards upsidedown. Wonder why.

There is a third option (which I use): lefty cards, placed on my left.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#27 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-19, 16:27

View Postmycroft, on 2013-June-19, 10:45, said:

Actually, I find it weird to watch the arm-twisters (especially the righties who use their left hand to bid). It's always easier to pull from the other side (provided the cards face my opponent, not me, of course).

I, oddly, never have *my* cards upsidedown. Wonder why.

There is a third option (which I use): lefty cards, placed on my left.

We have a player here who bought her own left handed cards and box. The box is marked with her name; she leaves it at the club, but separate from the other boxes. Even so, every so often I see her going around the room trying to figure out "who stole my bidding box?" :D

Oh, and if I place my bidding box on my left, I get complaints from LHO that I'm taking up "his" table space.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#28 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-19, 23:13

I like to clean any bits of fluff, hair etc from the table in front of me.

#29 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-19, 23:27

View PostZelandakh, on 2013-June-11, 02:41, said:

The bidding cards are sorted before play so that all the passes are together in front, followed by the doubles and then the redoubles.

My personal quirk: I always sort the passes on top, followed by redoubles, and then the doubles. The advantage is that you don't double inadvertently if you didn't notice that you ran out of pass cards. I feel that this has helped me a lot more than playing 1430 instead of 0314.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#30 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2013-June-20, 09:57

View Postbarmar, on 2013-June-11, 11:51, said:

You talking about Lynn Deas? I suspect she gets special dispensation just because of who she is.

I was operating Vugraph at a table with her last year. At one point she asked a TD to take her little dog out for a walk or something.

No, not Lynn Deas. It makes me smile to think of someone asking a TD to take their dog out for a pee. :)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)
"At last: just calm down, this kind of disrupted boards happens every day in our bridge community. It will always be an inherent part of bridge until we move to a modern platform, and then will we have other hopefully less frequent issues." P Swennson

#31 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-June-20, 12:08

:P Lap dogs have been a common habit of older women of the upper classes in almost every culture on earth for as far back as anyone can remember. Selling Masterpoints for real money is a tenuous affair. Older, upper class women are a key demographic market segment.

Personally, I am very, very allergic to cats. Thankfully, there are no lap cats.

#32 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2013-June-20, 12:09

I always count my cards in the same way (4-5-4) and pick them up in the same way (4-4-5). No idea why
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#33 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-June-20, 13:23

I sort my cards twice, once by color and once by shape, then put the long suits on the outside with honors toward the center. I do all this below the table so no one draws inferences.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#34 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-June-20, 18:36

Not sure if this is so unusual, but when I count my cards, I count 3-3-3-4.
Wayne Somerville

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users