BBO Discussion Forums: The least understood seqeunce is.... - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The least understood seqeunce is....

#21 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-October-22, 17:28

My view on this which is definitely not standard is that 4 should be a weak hand (old suit = weakness). We don't have that so we should bid some 3rd suit forcing after 3 and 4 later.
It will be very difficult now because we are in 4-11 range so partner would like to make many "just in case" cues. We need to find something about our range and the place for that is after 3 bid. Something like:

1 - 1NT
3 - ?
3 = artificial, good hand (~8-11)
3 = long hearts
3 = minimum preference
3NT = something in red suits
4 weakish hand with support
4 = very good hand for clubs, cuebid.

#22 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-October-22, 18:05

I agree with the bidding to date and i bid 4S now.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#23 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-22, 21:37

Phil, on 2012-October-19, 16:11, said:

Kx xx K9xxx Axxx

1 - 1N
3 - 4
4 -

Your call, and do you agree with 4

4s

the good news is either 4d is kickback for clubs or not...

in any case easy 4s today.

#24 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-October-22, 22:25

mike777, on 2012-October-22, 21:37, said:

4s

the good news is either 4d is kickback for clubs or not...

in any case easy 4s today.

Hell, for that matter 4 could be an asking bid and we can show 2nd round control!
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#25 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2012-October-22, 23:10

:P To me the bidding up to now is almost a no-brainer. Imho, 3 will nearly always show a decent suit. 4 is mildly slammish w/o a stopper. 4 says pard is still interested in slam. 4 shows either the ace or king since I have shown a relatively weak hand with 1NT. It can't be to play since I didn't bid 3 over 3.

#26 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2012-October-23, 00:24

assuming 4d is not clear kickback then it seems

4s can be to play and can be confusing.......

for the 99%

--

but I am told we nonexperts lose for 99% other reasons....

so can we focus on that??

#27 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-23, 04:24

For me 4 is not necessarily a slam try. I could have Kx Qxx xxx Qxxxx. If partner bids 4 or 5, fine and if he cues a red, I bid 4, non-forcing. Maybe he has: AQJxx Jx AK AJTx, or AQJTx xxx A AKJx which I gather from a recent thread many people still foolishly bid 3 on.

Hands that want to cue spades have other options (4NT is a substitute spade cue), but for hands that want to give partner a choice of game, this is the clearest way to do it. And sometimes partner can now bid a slam no one else reaches when two black fillers was all he required:

AQJxx x Ax AKxxx

#28 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-October-23, 08:01

fromageGB, on 2012-October-22, 04:50, said:

Comparing degrees of artificiality, I think 3 that shows a strong hand but can be a doubleton (Zel) is no simpler than 2 that shows an undefined strong hand. So my preference is for 2 as it gives double the room to explore fits and game suitability. That being the case, jumps should show specific shapes/strengths that can then be removed from the alternatives covered by the general purpose 2, so its subsequent descriptions are more precise.

If 2 would be forcing, what does opener do with a minimum opener? I assume 1NT was forcing, so he can't pass. And even if it's only semi-forcing, he shouldn't pass if he's unbalanced, so how would he show a minimum 5=x=x=4 or 5=x=x=5?

In standard, natural bidding, opener's jump shift is just a game force, showing 5 in the original major and usually 4 in the new suit. If you don't want to have to waste space like this, play a big club system.

#29 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-23, 08:05

Phil, on 2012-October-19, 16:11, said:

Kx xx K9xxx Axxx

1 - 1N
3 - 4
4 -

Your call, and do you agree with 4

This SJS GF sequence ( 1M - 1NTF, 3m )shows up at least 4 times a year.

Here is one ( 1S - 1NTF, 3C - ? )from January.

mikeh mentions " Jeff's Magic Elixir " if 3C! is a multi type hand .

My approach, also not standard, is as follows ( post # 7 in the above ) :

1S - 1NTF!
3C - ??
......... The following 4 bids show support or not ... and NO interest in ♣:
......... 3D
......... 3H
......... 3S
......... 3NT
......... 4S

......... The next 4 bids would "show" RKC for w/ 4+support :
......... 4C! = 0
......... 4D! = 1
......... 4H! = 2 - Q
.........4NT! = 2 + Q

... [ Zelandakh showed an "improvement" ( post # 8 ) ]

Anyway, Responder would show ONE key card on this hand ( 4D! bid above ), and Opener is in a good position to make an informed decision .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#30 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-October-23, 08:15

TWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-October-23, 08:05, said:

... [ Zelandakh showed an "improvement" ( post # 8 ) ]

LOL, one of those suggested "improvements" was precisely the same as I suggested here for natural bidding. At least I am being consistent!
(-: Zel :-)

#31 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2012-October-23, 09:00

kenrexford, on 2012-October-20, 08:53, said:

That is why I bid 5D and not 4H or something. else.

So 5 is a natural bid and not a cue for clubs? Or is partner supposed to make an insufficient 5 bid if he doesn't have a heart control either?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#32 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-October-23, 09:29

I've been holding off on this topic but:

I think it standard, at least in NA, for 3 to be played as 3+. How else does one rebid with a gf 6223 or 6133 etc? I suppose one could make a committal 3N or 4M call, but (especially if 1N could conceal a limit raise) this can make constructive bidding awkward. In addition, I am a big fan of being able to differentiate between 4 and 5 card heart suits, so that for me 3 is artificial. I will ignore that in the rest of this post since it isn't part of the OP structure.

I wouldn't have bid 4. Kx in spades is very important....we can almost always get back to clubs at the 6-level, and spades is definitely where we want to play any game.

I would be planning on bidding 4 over 3N and 4 were he to continue patterning out with 4.

As it is, having bid as if my clubs were better than they are, I have to own up to the spade card eventually, so 4 it is.

This should (almost) always be the K, not a stiff....if I have a stiff spade and no heart control, I must bid 5 regressive or 4N, still encouraging but denying any convenient cue.

One reason is that the K is far more likely to be slam-positive than is a stiff, and the second is that we have to be able to play 4 on many layouts on which the bidding to date has been impeccable (assuming that you feel the 4 raise was ok). Imagine we held Kx xx QJxxx Axxx. We'd bid the same way, and he might hold AQJ10x Qx Ax KQJx. 5 requires a diamond finesse while 4 is virtually cold.

We won't miss slam by 4...partner should know that we think 5 (at least) is playable because we chose to make a strong club raise over 3, but in the meantime we have identified the heart flaw. He can and should move with a heart control....indeed, think of AQxxx Ax Ax KQxx.....the spade K was exactly what he needed to hear about.

Back to more general musings: does everybody here have a clear understanding of how to differentiate between a weak hand with a spade preference and a limit raise, if playing a method in which a 3 card limit raise of 1 goes through 1N? Which it does in traditional 2/1 methods. I appreciate that many here play different/better methods:) so this 'everybody' should be limited to the 2/1 crowd!
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#33 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-October-23, 09:42

mikeh, on 2012-October-23, 09:29, said:

Back to more general musings: does everybody here have a clear understanding of how to differentiate between a weak hand with a spade preference and a limit raise, if playing a method in which a 3 card limit raise of 1 goes through 1N? Which it does in traditional 2/1 methods. I appreciate that many here play different/better methods:) so this 'everybody' should be limited to the 2/1 crowd!

I don't know whether everyone does, and maybe I don't have such an understanding either, but what I do unless playing Meck Adjunct or Eisenberg 3C is to bid 4M with an hand that wants to play 4M, 3M with the bad 2-card 5-7 support, 3N with 6-9 stops, 3X or 4 of the jump shift minor with one of the good 1NTF hands, including the 3-card LR, and 5m with a bad hand and m fit. "X" = "values here" and 9+-11 HCP.

Stodgy but practical.

#34 User is offline   Gerben42 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2012-October-23, 11:03

I bid 4 (two without the trump Q).
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#35 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-23, 11:31

1S - 1NTF!
3C - ??
......... 3S = minumun response hand, could be as few as 2 card support
......... 4S = 3 card limit raise - - a hand that would have jumped to 3S over 2C/2D rebid
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift

#36 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-October-23, 12:01

TWO4BRIDGE, on 2012-October-23, 11:31, said:

1S - 1NTF!
3C - ??
......... 3S = minumun response hand, could be as few as 2 card support
......... 4S = 3 card limit raise - - a hand that would have jumped to 3S over 2C/2D rebid

The problem, which I am sure you already know, is that you have now committed a jump to 4 without telling your partner anything about how well your limit raise fits for slam purposes.

For example, give him AKJxx x Ax KQJxx and you xxx KQJx KQxx xx and now on a bad day even game goes down, such that bidding to the 5-level is really a bad idea, but you'd bid the same way with Qxx xxxx KQxx Ax and now 12 tricks are virtually laydown.

Now, I play semi-constructive single raises, and for me a jump to 4 shows 3 card support, too weak for an immediate raise, and thus by definition a hand that cannot offer a play for slam.

This threatens to overload 3, but I deal with that by using 3over 3 as a 'noise' or 'stall'. As I mentioned in my first post, I prefer a method in which 3 is artificial (either a gf 1-suiter, just a hair under a 2opening, or real clubs or precisely a 4 card heart suit. This fits very well with using 3 as a stall on the given hand, since opener can bid 3 (1-suiter), 3 (precisely 4....all gf 5 card heart suits jump to 3), 3N (4 card clubs) or 4 (5-5 or better).

So I show the limit raise via the 'preference' and that preserves the entire 4 level as well as 3N (artificial) for slam exploration.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#37 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-23, 12:20

@ mikeh :

I like it..... including the 3C! multi aspect.

[ I know you have mentioned this treatment before... but this time I thoroughly read it ].
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE

#38 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-October-23, 12:46

Here is why i bid 5D at this point...

Partner has made slam noises expecting me to have no spade fit, while lacking the two black Kings. I cannot imagine any holding for him where the diamond King also in my hand is not enough for slam and where 5S is not a reasonable landing zone. If i bid 5D, he should figure out that i have no heart control but a landing zone at the five level that is not in clubs, meaning per force in spades. Thus, my weird call can only be worked out as something like this hand.

I am forced into this by the odd 4C call. But, given the OP, i must live with that. So, to compensate, only this call works, IMO.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#39 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-October-23, 14:50

barmar, on 2012-October-23, 08:01, said:

If 2 would be forcing, what does opener do with a minimum opener? I assume 1NT was forcing, so he can't pass. And even if it's only semi-forcing, he shouldn't pass if he's unbalanced, so how would he show a minimum 5=x=x=4 or 5=x=x=5?

We are digressing from the OP, but if opener has a minimum 5xx5 etc he cannot show it with a 2 bid, even if you play jump shift as strong. 2 has to be either real clubs or a balanced hand, surely, if 1NT is forcing and you play a natural 2 rebid. Forcing NT means you cannot show a weak real club suit.

#40 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2012-October-24, 01:43

I am not part of the 2/1 crowd but I thought it was standard for 3 here to show 2 card support and no better bid or 3 card support and slam interest, and therefore that a direct 4 is weak. In the specific auction you can perhaps afford to define the 3 bid slightly more tightly by using the 3 grope for more hands but that is my understanding of how (at least) 2/1ers play this.
(-: Zel :-)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

13 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users