7: A-6-2-3
8: K-7-5-J
This is left:

Do you agree with the play till now?
How do you continue?

#2 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-June-21, 14:26

I would now cash the Q - if are 3-3 I'm home. Otherwise I can try for 3-3 . I'm probably missing a squeeze.

#3 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-June-21, 15:26

There doesn't appear to be a squeeze on this hand if LHO's lead was 3/5. There's no entry in C for a dbl if LHO started with 3, and if LHO started with 5 clubs, the major squeeze is positional (and out of position).

However, if LHO made a deceptive lead of a low club and started 4144, now 2 rounds of hearts squeezes him in the blacks. So I think the right play here is HK, and if LHO shows out, you play for the black suit squeeze on LHO (this preserves a win if spades are 3-3 as well). Otherwise you hope for 3-3 hearts or 3-3 spades.

edit: This also wins when righty blows on the second heart and LHO started 4441
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#4 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-21, 17:34

There are a few different squeeze possibilities here. Save your club 9, it's threatening the K/J. Pitch a heart on the diamonds. Cash the spades. Then cross with a heart. You now know who has the long spades. If spades split, you're home. If E has both majors guarded...you're hosed. If E guards spades, it's free to play for a H/C squeeze on W (in fact, you just have). I don't see anything else to do.

As far as reading the lead, it's strange. Since he lead into your bid suit, and he had a longer suit to lead. If he doesn't have 5 clubs, it's weird. It's unfortunate though, as E has 8 cards in the major in that case. He may have led a 3 card suit (or falsecarded the lead), that's fine. We'll find out about the spades first and see where to go from there. If he made a GIB lead from a short suit, then the squeeze possibilities are many, but you'll find out when the Spades are tested if it's even possible.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#5 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-21, 20:29

also note that bunnygo is talking about the whole hand, and I'm just talking about the end position reached in OP
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#6 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-22, 09:53

View PostBunnyGo, on 2012-June-21, 17:34, said:

There are a few different squeeze possibilities here. Save your club 9, it's threatening the K/J. Pitch a heart on the diamonds. Cash the spades. Then cross with a heart. You now know who has the long spades. If spades split, you're home. If E has both majors guarded...you're hosed. If E guards spades, it's free to play for a H/C squeeze on W (in fact, you just have). I don't see anything else to do.

As far as reading the lead, it's strange. Since he lead into your bid suit, and he had a longer suit to lead. If he doesn't have 5 clubs, it's weird. It's unfortunate though, as E has 8 cards in the major in that case. He may have led a 3 card suit (or falsecarded the lead), that's fine. We'll find out about the spades first and see where to go from there. If he made a GIB lead from a short suit, then the squeeze possibilities are many, but you'll find out when the Spades are tested if it's even possible.
I played it against Jack.
This was the ending:

....Q4
....K43
.........T9
T52......J
KT........86
....A9
....A9

As you noted the 9 is important and West is squeezed when you play Q.

#7 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-22, 09:56

View PostQuartic, on 2012-June-21, 14:26, said:

I would now cash the Q - if are 3-3 I'm home. Otherwise I can try for 3-3 . I'm probably missing a squeeze.

&p=c4c7cjcqdad5d2d8dkd6d4dtd3dqd9c2h7hqh8h6djc3c5d7sas6s2s3sks7s5sj
That part is doing the trick to add the play? Did you add it manually or is there a tool for it?
(Note: When I open posts like this on my smartphone browser it crashes.)

#8 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-22, 09:56

Ah, nice. Missed the rounded squeeze against W. wd

#9 User is offline   Quartic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Walking, Climbing, Mathematics, Programming, Linux, Reading, Bridge.

Posted 2012-June-22, 10:31

View Postkgr, on 2012-June-22, 09:56, said:

&p=c4c7cjcqdad5d2d8dkd6d4dtd3dqd9c2h7hqh8h6djc3c5d7sas6s2s3sks7s5sj
That part is doing the trick to add the play? Did you add it manually or is there a tool for it?
(Note: When I open posts like this on my smartphone browser it crashes.)

I did it manually. I also added the known east and west cards.

#10 User is offline   lowerline 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-26, 03:39

Looks like West started with J3-7x-Q765-KT864. Then East started with T976-JT8x-T8-J32. One down. But just maybe West had JT3-7-Q765-KT864 (this would correspond with East's H8). So SQ next.

Edit: I just saw your answer. I played the right card ;-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users