BBO Discussion Forums: Is this a forcing pass situation? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this a forcing pass situation?

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-June-25, 03:45

Hi,

Pls help me understand what went wrong here:

Playing IMPs, in a quasi-random team match (but most players were stars, including my partner, so I'd expect them to recognize a forcing pass situation if there is one). We were lead by 35 imps at that point, so i kinda expect my pd to do something crazy in a last attempt to swing score in our favor. I think he also took my xx as desperation rather than legit desire to play or defend doubled.

Is the bidding OK? What alternatives are there? Nothing fancy, 2/1 std.
Was my pass over 6h forcing? Or shd I just x and spare my p of guessing what to do?

Thank you.

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2012-June-25, 05:18

I think you should have doubled. Your partner's 4 bid is a gambling bid, your redouble was also gambling, You wanted to get scientific at the last round of bidding.

Did it go down 2 or 3? Edit: just clicked next, down 3.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-25, 06:20

Until you xx 5s (even trailing by 35 imps a bad idea) there was nothing even
remotely forcing about the bidding by your side. The xx changed the picture
in the sense you showed power for the first time vs just a willingness to save.
Once you xx and W bid 6h your pass was indeed forcing but it was a bad idea
with this hand since the bidding has made it clear the it is simply impossible for
p to have the cards you need to make 6s. Your p should have x just for partnership
harmony.

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-25, 06:54

South is obviously shooting wildly. I assume you meant you were behind by 35 IMP ?

As for north, why redouble? Did you not think that 5x= would be a good enough result?

And then there is west, who wished to defend 5x but feels he must take a dive over 5xx.

East at least, has done nothing strange.

As south, I admit I would be confused by the strangeness of north and west's bids, and probably would settle on passing with zero defense (although I would certainly not bid 4 to begin with).
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-25, 07:00

View Postgszes, on 2012-June-25, 06:20, said:

Once you xx and W bid 6h your pass was indeed forcing but it was a bad idea
with this hand since the bidding has made it clear the it is simply impossible for
p to have the cards you need to make 6s.

Why? Axxxxxx-void-xxxx-xx is enough
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-25, 07:56

Is it time to fix the OP with South's actual first response, yet? Or, perhaps rather than a wild attempt to recover from 35 IMPs behind, similar actions might be the reason for the deficit.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-June-25, 16:22

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-June-25, 07:56, said:

Is it time to fix the OP with South's actual first response, yet? Or, perhaps rather than a wild attempt to recover from 35 IMPs behind, similar actions might be the reason for the deficit.

Hi Agua. I didn't post this as the ATB type of thread. My partner doesn't even know i posted the hand, we never discussed anything. I am trying to understand how badly I over-evaluated my hand there to see slam + forcing pass. This is the actual bidding and in retrospect i came to the conclusion that I complicated things unnecessarily and I should have just doubled 6H.

I gave you the -35 IMPs context because I thought it was relevant. FWIW it wasn't much of our fault, the other table was crazy. We had 4 more boards to go, so there was still a vague chance to win. My bidding was not even prompted by the -35. I really loved my hand after 4s and thought we can make slam.

#8 User is offline   perko90 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-25, 17:23

View Postdiana_eva, on 2012-June-25, 03:45, said:

Pls help me understand what went wrong here:

Is the bidding OK?

What alternatives are there?

Was my pass over 6h forcing? Or shd I just x and spare my p of guessing what to do?

The 4 bid is nuts - even if trying to swing. 1 is enough.

As for your XX, whether swinging or not, you need to have a plan if the opp's don't sit for it. Here, you don't have a clearcut answer. When you look at your hand and imagine ptr's (expecting 7 spades, for example), you have to guess that you may have only 1 defensive trick in clubs but also don't belong in slam yourselves. So, you should have been very happy w/ 5X. Pass, instead of XX, was clearly indicated. Nonetheless, you put the partnership in the situation, so you need to act like you had a plan. X of 6 seems best after the mistaken XX - at least it has a chance of working out. As to whether it's a forcing pass situation ... under normal circumstances, you shouldn't XX and pass. When the rules are thrown out the window in your swing situation, who's to say which ones are still in force?? Who knows?!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users