• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Rockwell Interesting!

#1 User is offline   JustaDummy 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Too many. Really.

Posted 2012-April-04, 20:07

I’ve been watching all the threads in this Novices / Beginners forum and have found the many posts totally fascinating!

I want to take a leaf out of Henry Root’s book and say, “Well Done!” We need more of this!! Maybe some posts are a bit beyond your Average Joe, but Nothing Wrong With That!!!

And when I read, in one of the posts, that in the case of a hand displayed which N/Bs should assess, the only proper bid (6C, in this case) is virtually impossible to find by any players at any level, I realise that this is absolutely the place for me, as a newbie. How else will I learn what is impossible? Essential reading for every newbie, what?

I’d like to donate a pound (sterling, of course) to each of the contributors to this forum, but, alas, the means are beyond me, since I have not spent a career in wet fish.

However, I CAN contribute in kind.

Here it is. I have discovered a new, possibly rarely-used (but what do I know) construct which simplifies bidding and extracts the essence of that impossible bid, reducing it to a simple algorithm. Yes, I know, algorithms are for the slavish obedience of fools but the guidance of the wise (or some such twaddle promulgated by a war ace who got his legs chopped off for not following the rules).

It is the Rockwell Encabulator (sometimes known as the Chrysler Encabulator, depending on which expert you believe actually first stumbled upon it). Or, simply, Rockwell. I won’t attempt to go through the finer details of this convention, since it is beyond me - but as a novice I feel that it will not be beyond me forever, so I am encouraged by the various posts here to work on it. I haven’t quite mastered the negative double yet, but no matter. The Rockwell is, as far as I can see, in my immediate future! I discount the Chrysler variant, since, although it seems to be more complete, it is too simple. We don’t want that!

There is, I feel, some work required in order to adopt this convention within a partnership, particularly if it is to be applied in, for example, a duplicate environment. Some of the references I have seen in the existing exemplary videos seem to not bear too much relevance to Bridge as I understand it, but I now know that this is just my fault, having waded through the posts on this forum, in which most comments seem to be beyond me and do not in any way relate to Bridge as I know it. But give me time, and I’m sure I’ll get there! Rockwell, here I come!!

Sorry for the paucity of links to the various explanatory videos: there are too many! I simply encourage you to Google “encabulator”. I’m really surprised that this has not been referenced before in this forum (but what do I know).

Rockwell for President!!!
A Seagull Consultant is an expert who flies in, eats all your food, craps all over you, and flies out again.

#2 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-April-04, 20:42

View PostJustaDummy, on 2012-April-04, 20:07, said:

I’ve been watching all the threads in this Novices / Beginners forum

Erm, this is actually the Natural Bidding Forum, not the Novices/Beginners forum.

Anyway, what about a compromise:

You continue to bully anyone who has the temerity to try to help novices by posting in the Novices/Beginners forum, until we reach the goal of nobody except you posting there. In return, you can refrain from posting in any other forum.

Deal?
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#3 User is offline   JustaDummy 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Too many. Really.

Posted 2012-April-04, 21:50

View Post655321, on 2012-April-04, 20:42, said:

Erm, this is actually the Natural Bidding Forum, not the Novices/Beginners forum.

Anyway, what about a compromise:

You continue to bully anyone who has the temerity to try to help novices by posting in the Novices/Beginners forum, until we reach the goal of nobody except you posting there. In return, you can refrain from posting in any other forum.

Deal?

Ah, crap. Sorry. I missed. I do not of course want only me to post in N/B, not that my wish has anything to do with it. I have avoided posting there recently, and then, when I wanted to, I got it wrong.

But I will refrain, permanently. Please ignore my post, and accept my apologies.
A Seagull Consultant is an expert who flies in, eats all your food, craps all over you, and flies out again.

#4 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-April-04, 23:54

Ben (Inquiry), I love this guys sense of humour. Can you move this post to the N/B forum? We don't want to lose people like this.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users