• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Swedish Club in Competition 2

#1 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-March-14, 16:46

The Swan notes are pretty quiet on this situation. It seems pretty obvious to me that partner has the 11-13 bal hand for his pass. The notes specifically say

1 (pass) 1M (DBL); RDBL shows 3-c support and either a good 11-13 or 17+.

OK, so we are playing non-mandatory support redoubles, can I extrapolate that we are also playing non-mandatory support doubles in this auction? Seems they might have mentioned it...

Anyway, I'd like to bid a natural, invitational 2NT here, is that what partner should take it as? But it seems we will potentially miss a 5-3 heart fit, is there a solution?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#2 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-March-14, 23:19

I'm loving this series of questions, a regular partner and I are looking at some sort of two way club thing.

My uninformed view is:

If you're playing non mandatory support doubles, 2NT should be natural and invitational (with a stop? Probably), there is minimal risk that you will miss the 5-3 heart fit. If you bid 2NT (which is invitational on the basis that pard has shown a mini NT at this point), and partner has 3H and wants to accept the invite he can always bid 3H, which should show three small cards in support and offering a choice of games.

If you're promising a stop with the 2NT bid, partner isn't going to want to pull to play in a 4-3 fit.

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-15, 03:22

Do the notes suggest anything after the auction 1 - 1; 1NT - (2)?
(-: Zel :-)

#4 User is offline   wclass___ 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-15, 03:24

X
Seeking input from anyone who doesn't frequently "wtp", "Lol" or post to merely "Agree with ..." --sathyab

#5 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-15, 04:32

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-March-14, 16:46, said:

I'd like to bid a natural, invitational 2NT here, is that what partner should take it as? But it seems we will potentially miss a 5-3 heart fit, is there a solution?

I think partner should take 2N as natural and invitational, yes. We play suit responses to the two-way club as showing 5, so I wouldn't expect any problems finding the fit here. (FWIW, I agree opener is definitely showing the weak opener - the auction isn't forcing you to bid again, and you will have game-going values if opener is 17+ and responder has a positive response.)

#6 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-15, 04:46

I don't know about Swedish Club but it seems the situation is the same as in Polish Club.
In PC people play support doubles (not mandatory but you almost always make it).
You shouldn't worry about missing 5-3 heart fit because if partner refused to make support double it means hearts won't play better than NT anyway.
Imo this hand is GF though and I would just bid 3NT.

#7 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-22, 16:03

2NT or 3NT seem OK to me. Doubling has little to gain here (the unlikely case where opener has 3-card raise AND 3NT is a bad contract). Anyway, perhaps support doubles should apply to most 11-13 bal?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users