• You cannot reply to this topic

Was it somehting I said? or bid? I've been in worse

#41 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-March-13, 23:41

My guess, based on the bidding and your partner's quick exit is as follows:

He was in love with his 's

3 was a Cue-bid thinking the suit had been agreed. (Yes....that is crazy).

4 was where he wanted to play it because you did not cooperate with his cue bid sequence.

6 was, again, your partner saying "Hearts is trump partner".

Wrong? Absolutely. :angry:

The quick exit...embarrassment? :(
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#42 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-March-14, 06:25

Perhaps my main purpose in posting was to make a plea for a little less haste in making judgments. This occurred just a little earlier.

I was South. Not a slam we want to be in, and indeed it made only 11 tricks when the spade finesse lost. But N would bid the same way if that Jack of spades were the Queen. I have partners with whom, after the 2 response, I could bid 3 as an exploration for a spade slam. But this was pick-up, usually the slam would be a stretch, so I just bid 4. It could have been wrong and, if so, it would be my fault. If partner sticks around, we can build on that. If he is out the door, we can't.

Kibbing a game, I watched a defensive botch. Third hand won the opening lead against a suit contract. Holding the AK in a side suit with the Queen in the dummy, he led the Ace, returned the original suit, and then left the table when his partner did not return a card to his King. A moment's thought would show him that the error was his. Had he played the King at trick 2 his partner would have diagnosed the location of the Ace when the King held the trick. There were other possible interpretations for the lead of the Ace.

From what I have seen, it is the players who make these sudden exits who most need to work on their own bidding and play. I suppose I could just say good riddance to them, but I decided to say a word or two.
Ken

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users