• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Robot race strategies

#41 User is offline   brianshark 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2009-January-20, 07:58

It can be extremely frustrating when despite my efforts to pass out a hand, the opps open and I have to compete for a crappy partscore, which takes up a lot of the time. Also, a couple of times the opps bid to a cold game that can't be touched. (Does this happen often?)

I only open 1NT with a hand that would accept an invite, except maybe if red. But I don't open 1NT opposite a passed partner anymore because I've played in too many partscores that way.

I always super-accept when partner transfers over my 1NT with 3+ in the major as it means we push to an aggresive game often, and the bidding goes quickly.

I find that I play the hands about twice as fast as GIB on average. Even at the game level. Except GIB can zip through a couple of 3N+2 type hands in no time. But GIB plays high level hands well. One time he flew through 6NT in about 20 seconds making on a double squeeze.

With regards to doubles in competitive auctions, I think GIB interprets all but the basic t/o double situations as just extra values with no clear bid, where humans would play them as more t/o oriented, which catches out a lot of people. GIB doesn't need a trump stack to want to defend part-scores doubled. But if you actually have your extras and can defend at least close to GIB standard, you will do fine. I find that a lot of people who complain about GIB doing crazy things get caught out because they simply don't have their bid according to what GIB expects them to have.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

#42 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-January-20, 08:15

brianshark, on Jan 20 2009, 08:58 AM, said:

A couple of times the opps bid to a cold game that can't be touched. (Does this happen often?)

Yes. I get these sometimes also. Although at my table they are usually Xed :rolleyes:. I have even had GIB bid 2 making slams against me in Best Hand! Both Vul. too :(
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#43 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-January-22, 22:44

Yeah, GIB seems to be very good at bidding distribution hands and finding those 22 HCP games. This is another reason to be careful when balancing, it will often push them to the game they weren't going to bid.

Unfortunately, GIB N is not very good at figuring out that they're bidding so much because they have voids, so he likes to double them just because I've shown a little extra.

#44 User is offline   AceOfHeart 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-04, 08:48

I dont understand some of the description of the bids. What exactly does 8421 HCP in means?
Make love, not war

#45 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-04, 10:36

AceOfHeart, on Feb 4 2009, 09:48 AM, said:

I dont understand some of the description of the bids. What exactly does 8421 HCP in means?

A = 8, K = 4, Q = 2, J = 1. Accompanied with that GIB will tell you how many '8421' points are shown.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#46 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-04, 10:41

The 8421 points are only used when cue bidding. they aren't super reliable.

#47 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2009-February-05, 16:14

Or when making game tries. It's GIB's way of representing "concentrated values".

#48 User is offline   AceOfHeart 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-06, 07:33

Well I understand that the GIB somehow based on history will open 4th seat with 10 points sometimes. But is the choice of bid based on history too?

I have the honor of GIB opening 1 on this hand a few days back at 4th seat all non vul.

Also have GIB play for finnese on a 9 card fit and drop on 8 card fit on at least 5 hands yesterday.
Make love, not war

#49 User is offline   JLOL 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-February-06, 08:32

AceOfHeart, on Feb 6 2009, 08:33 AM, said:

Also have GIB play for finnese on a 9 card fit and drop on 8 card fit on at least 5 hands yesterday.

OMG the horror!

#50 User is offline   AceOfHeart 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-March-11, 09:38

One thing I notice about robot race is that GIB plays much faster in the web client when it is declaring, and somewhat have slower reaction time when I am declaring . However in the windows client, the opposite seems true, defence seems more responsive to my clicks while the gib takes only to declare.

So what i do having a chioce of 2 contracts if I am doing the web I let GIB declare and client, I declare.
Make love, not war

#51 User is offline   arrows 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-March-14, 16:10

Are the boards duplicated?

I guess not?

when I am still struggling, some other guys already run away with 5000+.

#52 User is offline   AceOfHeart 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-March-15, 00:37

not replicated
Make love, not war

#53 User is offline   MolvaM 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2009-March-30, 14:42

I am aware that claiming is not an option. but I am waiting for BBO to introduce the "concede rest" button. If I have already collected my 7 tricks in a 1NT contract I would like to have the option of conceding the rest of the tricks and move on to the next hand.

#54 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2009-March-31, 06:33

The option to autoplay singletons is greyed out in my windows client. It is there as an option, but disabled. How do I enable it?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#55 User is offline   fred 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-March-31, 07:29

1eyedjack, on Mar 31 2009, 12:33 PM, said:

The option to autoplay singletons is greyed out in my windows client. It is there as an option, but disabled. How do I enable it?

I think it will become enabled when you are at a table (perhaps only if you are sitting).

Fred Gitelman
Bridge Base Inc.
www.bridgebase.com

#56 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-March-31, 07:50

arrows, on Mar 14 2009, 05:10 PM, said:

I guess not?

Step 1: Bid Your Slams
Step 2: Make Your Slams
Step 3: Profit

Grand slams especially...

Seriously...slams are where you make the big points. You don't want to be playing part scores at all.

Also, your game bidding should be very aggressive... a game needs to be only about 45% NV, 38% vulnerable, so even a bit more aggressive than IMPs.

If you're trying to place high occasionally (and accept also placing very low somewhat often), be even more aggressive.

#57 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-March-31, 11:32

TylerE, on Mar 31 2009, 08:50 AM, said:

arrows, on Mar 14 2009, 05:10 PM, said:

I guess not?

Step 1: Bid Your Slams
Step 2: Make Your Slams
Step 3: Profit

Grand slams especially...

Seriously...slams are where you make the big points. You don't want to be playing part scores at all.

Also, your game bidding should be very aggressive... a game needs to be only about 45% NV, 38% vulnerable, so even a bit more aggressive than IMPs.

If you're trying to place high occasionally (and accept also placing very low somewhat often), be even more aggressive.

I tried this strategy a little while ago. I bid slams aggressively, and landed in the right slam a few times but invariably GIB overruled and went to grand which failed by a trick. Since then, I have learned from others that "never jump to a slam without using Blackwood first cuz GIB will put you in grand". Lesson learned.

#58 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2009-March-31, 15:24

And jumping to 5 in a minor frequently causes GIB to put you in slam, sometimes off 2 aces.

I've had some pretty good luck opening hands that would be 4th-seat 2 bids (i.e. a good opening with a good 6-card suit) at the 4 level -- about 75% of the time I pick up a good dummy and make the game.

#59 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-April-21, 08:07

These robot races are addictive, aren't they!

The Biggest event in the history of bridge has inspired me to try them. I read all the good advice in this thread.

I have been passing most of my strong notrumps when not vul. Sometimes, the hand is passed out, and we go onto the next hand (good). Sometimes the robot opponents want to open the bidding on junk and slowly play a partscore (grr). But the interesting one is when partner opens 1M. I usually respond 1NT, partner bids a new suit, I bid 3NT, but the robot (ok, I admit he can't know that I have passed a balanced 15) invariably goes back to 4M on his 5 card suit.

Another strange GIB bid has happened twice. When we have been doubled at the 5 level, silly partner bids 6:

P    (1)  3  (4)
5    X    6  (X)
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#60 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2009-December-07, 20:03

When GIBs are defending, I noticed they don't falsecard.*

(I only play MBT$1 best hand really, not robot race, though I think it's the same.)

So if QJ is out and East plays Q, as declarer you know they don't have J.

*I don't notice count that well. They may be falsecarding count. But I'm pretty sure about this part.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users