• You cannot reply to this topic

Impending Doom

#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2008-November-07, 08:28

So, after a tense day at the office (the "office" includes me and my wife), my partner and I sat down against my wife and her partner, with my wife announcing that she cannot wait to hammer me in some contract, to make her day.

So, one HAND FRIGGIN' ONE, I pick up AK Qx A109xx xxxx. Partner opened 1 (he plays a sound opening style), passed to me. 1. LHO, my wife's partner, doubled for the majors. My partner passed, and Leah bid 1. I bid 2, and Ruth raised to 3, passed to me.

1-P-1-X
P-1-2-3
P-P-?

At this point, I was sweating a bit. I visualized partner with a possibility of 4333 shape, as I know that Ruth-Leah overbid on 8-card suits. Heck, 4423 was even possible. So, with great fear, but like a mosquito drawn to the bug zapper, I launched out 4, intended to ask partner to pick a minor.

This was doubled and came back to me. So, with even more sweat developing, I sent it back, still desperately trying to get a minor call. Instead, partner trotted out 4!?!?!

With great sense of impending doom, I decided that our only hope was 5. I of course caught a dummy of xxxx Jxx KQ AQxx and a double from my wife with a 5-card stack on me. -500

Blasted!!!!
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-November-07, 09:18

I give up. Why 4?

Seems like you've shown your shape with 1 followed by 2. I don't see any reason you should expect to make 5 of a minor with your worthless Q and 4HCP in the minors when the opps have announced that everything is splitting badly.

What's wrong with X?

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2008-November-07, 09:22

jtfanclub, on Nov 7 2008, 10:18 AM, said:

I give up. Why 4?

Seems like you've shown your shape with 1 followed by 2. I don't see any reason you should expect to make 5 of a minor with your worthless Q and 4HCP in the minors when the opps have announced that everything is splitting badly.

What's wrong with X?

A couple of reasons.

First, in this partnership, 2 would be interpretted as a Western Q. So, partner would not know my shape precisely.

Second, and more importantly, I was out of my friggin' mind. When your wife desperately wants to hammer you in a ridiculous contract, and your extreme fear is being so hammered and giving bragging rights away, somehow many of us run like wildebeasts right at the damn crocs. Or, like a squirrel dodging back-and-forth on the highway with a screaming car.

In other words, I'm laughing at myself here. :( LOL
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-November-07, 09:24

I think 4 got what it deserved.

Awesome psychology from the wife too, clearly a fearsome competitor to get you on tilt on board 1!

Paul
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#5 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-November-07, 09:33

kenrexford, on Nov 7 2008, 10:22 AM, said:

A couple of reasons.

First, in this partnership, 2 would be interpretted as a Western Q. So, partner would not know my shape precisely.

So what would an X show here, keeping in mind that you've already denied having much in value in hearts?

#6 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-November-07, 09:47

Just double 3H.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#7 User is offline   slothy 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-November-07, 10:06

All I can say Ken:

I hope you got a watertight prenup :( :)

Alex
gaudium est miseris socios habuisse penarum - Misery loves company.

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2008-November-07, 12:32

slothy, on Nov 7 2008, 11:06 AM, said:

All I can say Ken:

I hope you got a watertight prenup :D :)

Alex

Heck -- I'm lucky if I get an extra $2 as allowance for the week. LOL

-P.J. Painter.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users