BBO Discussion Forums: Are you new to the BBF novice/beginner forum? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Are you new to the BBF novice/beginner forum?

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-January-05, 17:22

If so, you may not realize that there are many pages of topics. Some of the old topics will be of interest to you perhaps. Click on the little number (1 to 12 so far) at the bottom of the page to call of other pages. There is an pick-box option to only list topics active in the last day, the last 5 days, 10 days, etc... all the way to the "beginning". To see all the topics, you have to click this to beginning. Note how the number of pages changes as you go from today (one page) to five days (roughly 2 pages), to the beginning (currently 12 pages).

There are interesting threads for exploring, including ones on carding, opening leads, lebehnshol, law of total tricks, and more than a dozen hands to play (suitable for beginners and novices).

Similar additional pages exist in most of the other forums.

Ben

This post has been edited by inquiry: 2004-January-06, 10:02

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   Scoti 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-June-01, 17:44

T/Y for all this information, Ben.
C.A. Coll [Scoti]

#3 User is offline   JustaDummy 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Too many. Really.

Posted 2012-March-16, 12:10

Er… Is this not a new forum? Where are all these "pages of topics?" :P
A Seagull Consultant is an expert who flies in, eats all your food, craps all over you, and flies out again.

#4 User is online   mikeh 

• Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-March-16, 12:19

View PostJustaDummy, on 2012-March-16, 12:10, said:

look at the date of that post: I think he just relocated it from the B/I without modification
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2012-March-16, 19:18

View PostJustaDummy, on 2012-March-16, 12:10, said:

I will be moving old beginner threads from the old b/i forum (now i/a forum) as time goes along. Then there will be pages of threads here.
--Ben--

#6 User is offline   JustaDummy 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-16, 19:51

Thanks Ben. Great job.
A Seagull Consultant is an expert who flies in, eats all your food, craps all over you, and flies out again.

#7 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-19, 13:08

Maybe the top post should have an example of how to display hands in a readable fashion
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#8 User is offline   JustaDummy 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-19, 16:18

View Postkuhchung, on 2012-March-19, 13:08, said:

Maybe the top post should have an example of how to display hands in a readable fashion

Great idea! There is a post or two buried in the forum about how that's done, from MrAce and FrancesHinden. But if you don't happen upon them, you might never know.

I know it means work for Admins (probably inquiry, sorry, Ben), but it would help as a sticky (pinned).

#9 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-19, 17:48

Not even necessarily hand diagrams, just things like AQJxx xx Kxx xxx is very readable
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#10 User is offline   JustaDummy 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-19, 18:30

View Postkuhchung, on 2012-March-19, 17:48, said:

Not even necessarily hand diagrams, just things like AQJxx xx Kxx xxx is very readable

So what would you like to see in the pinned notice?

#11 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-March-19, 18:59

Post two should be here

'here is how to ask a good question' It should cover

• making a good topic line - When creating a topic, select a subject that is informative to new reads such as 'How does hand evaluation change in competition? Or "What is the minimum standard for an overcall of 1 of a suit"
  • Outline how a question should be asked - the question itself, any relevant hands, any follow up points. Remind users when stating a question they should provide relevant information about their general system. Deciding how to respond to partners 1C in competition depends on things like 'do you play ACOL, SAYC, Polish Club, Precision or 2/1 GF? What is your NT range and what is the number of cards you promise when you open 1 of a major'
  • Here is how to display a hand so people can read it

#12 User is offline   JustaDummy 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-19, 19:28

View PostCthulhu D, on 2012-March-19, 18:59, said:

Post two should be here

'here is how to ask a good question' It should cover

• making a good topic line - When creating a topic, select a subject that is informative to new reads such as 'How does hand evaluation change in competition? Or "What is the minimum standard for an overcall of 1 of a suit"
  • Outline how a question should be asked - the question itself, any relevant hands, any follow up points. Remind users when stating a question they should provide relevant information about their general system. Deciding how to respond to partners 1C in competition depends on things like 'do you play ACOL, SAYC, Polish Club, Precision or 2/1 GF? What is your NT range and what is the number of cards you promise when you open 1 of a major'
  • Here is how to display a hand so people can read it

That will work for posts which ask a question with the hope of getting an answer from someone more experienced. But it isn't the only type of post. If you restrict posts to that shape, do you not restrict the forum?

#13 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-March-19, 19:36

View PostJustaDummy, on 2012-March-19, 19:28, said:

That will work for posts which ask a question with the hope of getting an answer from someone more experienced. But it isn't the only type of post. If you restrict posts to that shape, do you not restrict the forum?

I'm only saying here is how to ask a question, if you're not asking a question the advice obviously doesn't apply. Maybe I could clarify with 'if you're going to ask a question of the 'what should we do here' variety then this is how you should ask it'

If you want to discuss whether you should ACOL or Std American is the best system for beginners it's a different thing.

#14 User is offline   Parvenu90 

• Pip
  • Interests:Entertainment, Gambling, Sports.

Posted 2012-April-30, 00:20

OMG hi! :)
Happy finesse.

#15 User is offline   zacirka 

• Pip

Posted 2013-July-12, 13:20

Hello. I'm new on bridge. I read BBO stuf Beginners: Learn bridge basics. And sometimes I try to play online. Players come on my table and ask me "nat c?". What it means?

#16 User is offline   inquiry 

Posted 2013-July-12, 16:15

View Postzacirka, on 2013-July-12, 13:20, said:

Hello. I'm new on bridge. I read BBO stuf Beginners: Learn bridge basics. And sometimes I try to play online. Players come on my table and ask me "nat c?". What it means?

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to bridge! Try to get into the Beginner/Intermediate bridge group. They will be helpful to you.. an open game for a complete novice online can be quite an adventure, but in the BIL club, there is a lot of hand holding and helping as you learn the game.

I am not positive what "nat c" means. Nat looks like the abbreviation for "natural" which is what the learn bridge basics teaches. I assume "C" might stand for clubs. So they might be asking if you play a natural 1C opening bid. The answer, if that is the question, should be yes. Maybe someone else knows for sure what is being asked of you.
--Ben--

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2013-July-15, 03:54

If I saw this question in the Main Bridge Club, I would assume they were asking if we played better minor or short club (that is, whether a 1 opening promises 3 or 4 and whether a 1 opening promises 2 or 3). If I saw the question in the Acol Club, I would think it was a very strange way of asking if we were playing 4 or 5 card majors.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#18 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-July-15, 04:07

View Postinquiry, on 2013-July-12, 16:15, said:

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to bridge! Try to get into the Beginner/Intermediate bridge group. They will be helpful to you.. an open game for a complete novice online can be quite an adventure, but in the BIL club, there is a lot of hand holding and helping as you learn the game.

I am not positive what "nat c" means. Nat looks like the abbreviation for "natural" which is what the learn bridge basics teaches. I assume "C" might stand for clubs. So they might be asking if you play a natural 1C opening bid. The answer, if that is the question, should be yes. Maybe someone else knows for sure what is being asked of you.

Nat( C ) is a system taught to beginners in Poland.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#19 User is offline   GrannyDCD 

• Pip

Posted 2013-September-29, 09:07

I am new to bridge. A senior who is taking lessons. Are there good simple instructional books that will help me to understand the game better

#20 User is offline   dontzy4 

• Pip

Posted 2014-February-06, 10:18

I receive this message when I try to login :

Login Denied. Obsolete client. Please login via our web page at ...

Err = 788

My account it's new :rolleyes:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users