BBO Discussion Forums: Strength range for balancing overcall - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Strength range for balancing overcall Balancing overcall

#1 User is offline   paulsim 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-May-21, 01:30

Hi folks,

What is your overcall range in balancing position?

9-15 seems pretty standard, but

Balancing: pass or 1S?

Would yo pass this hand or would overcall 1?

1S or double+S?

Would you overcall 1 or double and bid spade?

Thank you all,

Kind Regards,
Paul_S

#2 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2024-May-21, 01:47

I should probably pass on Hand 1, but likely to end up bidding .

On hand 2 I choose between Takeout/1N if thats your style or NT takeout/Power X. I would definitely Power X, but do you pick shape before strength otherwise? I'm not sure what strength/length X and then bidding would imply

#3 User is offline   shugart24 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-May-21, 06:58

depends on colors too....if white on hand 1, I overcall....red, I am not so sure

ALso probably depends on scoring too: Imps vs Matchpoint

#4 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-May-21, 08:17

My methods for balancing suit calls are basically the same as my direct seat overcalls. The second hand is a normal 1 for me; double then bid is stronger than this. The first hand is light for an overcall; I might preempt 2 in direct seat at NV but balancing I just pass.

In real life I never hold this weak of a hand after 1m-pass-pass.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#5 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-May-21, 10:16

Following up on awm, IRL, if I have the first hand after 1-p-p, partner has the penalty double. Will we set it? On a spade lead, probably (pulling trump the easy way, then the hard way). Will partner lead a spade? Likely not. When they run to a red suit, will we set it? No. What can we make? Not sure. Should I bid 1 and start the crazy? Probably (but not if they're vul).

The second hand is not for me a double-and-bid, either in strength or suit quality, even "borrowing a king". Yes, it's magic when partner has the penalty pass, but she doesn't. And responder has free rein to show a better suit or to delayed-raise partner, especially if opener shows a real minor. You might be bidding your suit (should you choose to) at the 3 level.

Yes, that means that overcalls have a huge range, possibly even larger than opening in a standard system. But there's tools to show good raises, or good other suits, and much of the time it's a partscore battle, so more pushed on shape than HCP - or it's a lead-directing overcall, so general strength doesn't really matter.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#6 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-May-21, 11:35

I seem to be in minority but I was thought that balancing with a suit denies opening strength at min level (jumping is different obviously).

I have tampered this a little since, and at the 1-level, I balance with 1 something up to a min opening (let s say a bad 13-count) and at the 2-level even a bit higher (especially in situations where X plus bid rates to raise the auction too high, eg over 1S pass pass and you have a minor, when partner often bids 2H over X).

Reason is that with a good opening (13-14+) you owe a 2nd bid to partner, who will not jump w/o opening strength too (1D - - X // - 1S e.g. can go up to 11).

I do not recall being too high, or missing a game. But it happens rarely.

Here in hand 1 I am tempted to bid, but LHO surely has a 18-19 bal and RHO some club tolerance, and partner lacks S support for not finding an X card. Depending on scoring, I might try 1S. At least partner knows what to lead in case they end up somewhere else than 1C.

Hand 2 is a (not even close) X then S.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users