Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB and double dummy

#1 User is offline   jackmiller 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2023-July-09, 06:51

What's the difference between GIB and double dummy? With DD, the computer sees all the cards and sees singleton kings, which way to finesse, etc. DD also plays perfect defense, seeing partners cards I've read that if you are using the hand viewer in BBO to analyze your play, the GIB button gives you DD, but I thought GIB is what robots would play. I didn't think the robots were "perfect." If I'm playing against robot defenders, do they see all the cards and make the perfect play? Thanks.

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-July-09, 08:43

Yes, it's a confusing name for the button. But it's function is to show the number of tricks available double dummy, as you say. It has nothing to do with the robot and the robot has little to do with double dummy (it does use DD analysis to evaluate simulations of possible layouts, but of course it can't see the actual cards and it rarely makes a perfect play).

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-July-14, 08:06

The GIB robot software makes use of DD solver internally (much of its strategy involves dealing lots of hands consistent with the bidding and play, then performing DD analysis of each to determine the best action). When we display DD results, it's done using this component of GIB, hence the button label.

We renamed this in the menus in the BBO application.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users