• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening the wrong traveller

#41 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2023-May-17, 09:31

View Postpescetom, on 2023-May-03, 04:41, said:

I rewrote the first sentence of OP to make it clearer that the question is related only to the legacy method of paper travellers when electronic scoring is not available.

I've seen it happen with electronic scoring. Sometimes you select the wrong board number and enter the result; then when the traveller screen appears, you see the results from that board. Seeing all these nonsensical results alerts you to the fact that you misentered the result, but also you see the results for a board you haven't played yet.

This is most likely when there's board sharing between tables, so they aren't played in order. But it also happens with the BridgeTab scoring system, simply by mis-tapping.

#42 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-May-17, 09:53

View Postbarmar, on 2023-May-17, 09:31, said:

This is most likely when there's board sharing between tables, so they aren't played in order. But it also happens with the BridgeTab scoring system, simply by mis-tapping.

I think this happens most often when a table plays the boards of a round out of order but do not realise it and try to enter the second (or third) board from a set into the result slot for the first.

#43 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-May-17, 11:42

Or put it in twice, or skip putting in board 12. Cue Humphrey Lyttelton:

Good News: you will usually get the TD call right away (instead of 3 boards later when -100 "but we're only down 1").
Bad News: if it's the first board in the round, or a "put in twice", now E-W at least has seen a board they may not have played.
Good News: much less likely to have "forgotten to put in the last board" when they all discussed the results of the previous board to death.
Bad News: they discuss the results of the boards to death, which reduces this to the previous joke.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#44 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-May-17, 12:49

View Postbarmar, on 2023-May-17, 09:31, said:

I've seen it happen with electronic scoring. Sometimes you select the wrong board number and enter the result; then when the traveller screen appears, you see the results from that board. Seeing all these nonsensical results alerts you to the fact that you misentered the result, but also you see the results for a board you haven't played yet.

This one bit me before your post, as it happened to me, in a slightly different way: partner played the wrong board first, entered the score and then looked at the traveller. Ouch, 40% with our legacy rules applied to the modern world.

I don't think it's a good system design if you automatically arrive at a traveller screen after entering a score, precisely for this reason.
But it is reasonable for a system to allow players to elect to view a traveller after entering a score (or allow TD to configure the system in such a way).
The other two protections I request (so far without success) are:
a) the possibility to delay traveller/barometer access until all boards in a round have been played (also useful to speed things up)
b) a "silent check" on improbable results or impossible leads (with apparent acceptance, but a notification to TD and block of traveller access).

#45 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-May-17, 13:28

I like option a) very much. After the hand is over I want to play the next one and not sit and listen to my opponents "you should have" gripes. However, a lot of players would hate that change.

Option b) will cause players to repeatedly push buttons trying to access the traveller, but will avoid UI from the wrong traveller.

#46 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-May-17, 15:31

View Postjillybean, on 2023-May-17, 13:28, said:

I like option a) very much. After the hand is over I want to play the next one and not sit and listen to my opponents "you should have" gripes. However, a lot of players would hate that change.

And as a TD I want them to get onto the next board, if it was not the last.
Let them gripe only as a prize for finishing early.
I've asked players about this and while many hope it never comes, most concede it makes sense.

View Postjillybean, on 2023-May-17, 13:28, said:

Option b) will cause players to repeatedly push buttons trying to access the traveller

No big deal, they will end up calling TD who should be coming anyway.
This is basically the automation of what happens in a WBF event where the scorers will quickly suss what happened and send TD to your table.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users