Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2/1 forcing question

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-February-10, 05:37

Not sure which forum. I usually get jumped on in any forum so I am trying here and hoping to clarify ,y understanding of the system
Nothing more. Simple query about clarification on how to bid this system

Would be grateful for any assistance on how you identify a spade fit versus NT in this system, without any personal attacks and putdowns please

Some went to 3NT, some to 4S, some used FSF and found a partial fit and didn't know which way to go

Simple informational query

Everyone has opportunity to answer constructively without any personal insinuation :)

An opportunity to be respectful, and nice and friendly and constructive without any obnoxiousness

I will offer my (non-expert) opinion but the difficulty in finding such an easy fit in such a widely used system is concerning. Such a simple auction

Half the field took the gamble on 4S, half on 3NT and one tried FSF and had to guess on 3NT/4S based on 7 or 8 trumps. What kind of system is that

You can be left hanging or in t he dark. and IMO that is pathetic. That is not personal either

How do you determine whether you have a nice spade fit or a disastrous 3NT. That is not personal either. I have a right to know. A major bidding system that I pay to use

I may not be Bob Hamman but I have the right to say that I think such a basic thing is pathetic

Shall I bid spades again, clubs, shall we gamble on having 8 spades or risk going game with only 7. Shall we go NT risking shortness in diamonds

How do we get there

Put that hand through a few different systems too :)

May post another. Same tourney. Nice club fit totally goes missing

Its not personal so don't dare go personal against me

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-10, 05:55

I would use whatever form of checkback I play.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-February-10, 06:03

I don't play this, but with a pick-up partner 3 is GF so North can either follow up with 3card support or bid 3NT with a stopper in the unbid suit
Without 3 card support you should have 2533

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-10, 06:34

In the GIB system, you can use 2 (New Minor Forcing), partner will tell you if they have 3-card heart support, and then you chose 4 or 3NT accordingly.

3 probably isn't forcing in the GIB system, if you want to show this shape you probably have to bid 2 followed by 3. Personally I wouldn't be bothered with the clubs with this hand.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-10, 12:33

As Helene said 2 as NMF solves this one quite easily, as you immediately find out if partner has 3 spades or not.

If not, up to you whether you want to bid 3NT or follow up with clubs if you're worried about diamonds - Kx isn't ideal as dummy so there are arguments either way. (Will depend on what GIB responds to 2 too.)

There are other hands where NMF doesn't work as well, specifically when you have slam interest, which is why NMF is rarely played at higher levels - better to play 2 as artificial and game forcing. But GIB doesn't play that, and here it makes no difference.

FSF doesn't exist in this sequence, so you may have misread the descriptions at other tables.

#6 User is offline   Frank_lol_ 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-February-10, 16:28

I don't know why you spent 3 sentences talking about friendliness. Did anything happen?

Anyway, new minor forcing seems to be appropriate here. With XYZ you will bid 2D instead of 2C.

#7 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-10, 17:41

Thanks for the feedback

I am not sure what went wrong with the bidding. Whether it was lack of clarity on the bidding sequence or even that I misread something as 2-3 when it said 3

I could just be going crazy some days. I was sitting pondering after 2C, 3S (secondary support) I was actually convinced that I didn't know if we 7 or 8 tricks
Others seemed to make the same error

I think I am just going crazy or cross-eyed

But to sit there, go through the thought process, read the bid meaning, add up to 7 or 8 and decide wrongly is strange is it not :)

#8 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-10, 17:48

While I'm here feeling a bit stupid here is the earlier hand that maybe scrambled my brain over knowing how to bid - reading the various rebid options :(

Sad :( There was a reason that I didn't show my clubs and felt short on options

Two perfectly fine and straightfowrard contracts going missing in the same 8 hand IMP tourney :(

Sometimes I am dealing with people and issues that can scramble my brain

Put it down as a bad day at the GiB Tourney Office

#9 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-10, 18:38

I'd just pass 2 there. You know partner doesn't have an opening hand (at least by GIB's definition; I expect most would open it), so you have zero interest in game, regardless of whether it's making on this particular freak hand or not. Whatever the description says, 2 will almost certainly be a 6 card suit, so it'll be the best place to play.

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-11, 05:41

smerriman, on 2023-February-10, 18:38, said:

I expect most would open it

I don't think I would. It is a rule-of-20 hand if you include the sec queen, and it is aceless. Is is too strong for 2. I would open 3 in 1st nonvul. Maybe it pays off opening 1 even 2nd vul?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-11, 10:21

Frank_lol_, on 2023-February-10, 16:28, said:

With XYZ you will bid 2D instead of 2C.

XYZ as we play it also offers 3C as an alternative which well defines this hand and is precisely limited to game-only strength (with slam interest we could have bid 2NT and then spades to show the same 5-5 shape).

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users