• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UNBELIEVABLE !

#61 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-February-06, 08:44

View Postnullve, on 2023-February-06, 05:58, said:

Not every good player thinks it's a good idea to start cuebidding at the five-level. For example:

Quote-mining out of context. You’ve quoted a 1993 article, but failed to point out that it entails an unusual agreement.

He advocated that, for example, in a slam try auction in hearts, a bid of 4S asked partner to keycard via 4N…it isn’t itself a cuebid

Also, having agreed upon a major, a bid at the 5-level is exclusion.

The usual agreement about exclusion is that it is a jump to the 5-level. Thus if we’ve reached 4S, 5C is a cuebid but if we’ve agreed spades at 3S, a jump to 5C would be exclusion

I’ve been a teammate of Fred’s in two WC events and have followed his career with interest ever since he won a silver medal in the BB in the mid 90’s. I may be mistaken but I think that he’d agree that his article contained suggestions that were not and never became mainstream. Certainly I don’t recall ever seeing or reading about any expert pair who followed that rule of never cuebidding at the five level. He had to invent that rule in order that a non-jump ‘cuebid’ at the five level would be exclusion.

You like to quote authority. Larry Cohen writes that asker must jump for a bid to be exclusion. Larry Cohen in 2018 would, I think, be viewed as more authoritative than would Fred Gitelman in 1993…with all respect to Fred, who is a good guy as well as a truly fine player: imagine how Canada would do in bridge were our top players not in the US��
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users