• You cannot reply to this topic

4414 prime 21 count

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2023-January-29, 22:22

"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#2 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-January-29, 23:12

1 If partner cannot drag up a response you might end up in the wrong contract, but any other opening could go badly wrong. The opps. are at favorable vulnerability and could not open in 3rd. I expect partner to bid something here. The only problem is that the good hand might end up as dummy, so a 2NT opening despite the stiff might be the better opening gambit if partner has 5M. I guess partner turns up with Hxxxx and the missing cards honors in the other suits in a 7HCP hand and 6/6 is on. Tough.

#3 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-29, 23:38

Hi,

either 1C or 2NT, 2NT most likely being the better option.

The issue with 1C is, that you will have a serious problem with choosing a rebid, if partner happens
to answers 1D.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-January-29, 23:48

I think it’s close.

Were partner not a passed hand, I’d reject 1C because I can never catch up after a 1M response, and I definitely can’t drive beyond game without some sign of life from partner…who will not stretch since he won’t and shouldn’t play me for this much.

Since he is a passed hand, we are less worried about missing slam.

However, I think I slightly prefer 2N anyway.

Lots of good things can happen. If he was responding 1M to 1C, he’s either using stayman or he’s transferring over 2N.

If stayman, and playing standard (I currently play a method where 2N 3C 3S shows 4=4 majors), I’ll bid 3S and then 4H over 3N. At least he expects 20+ hcp

If transfer, I super accept and now slam may be biddable.

It he bids 3N, well the opps will strain to lead a major, plus partner may have me covered in diamonds….and maybe we can make game.

On a bad day, he bids 3N on his 3=3=2=5 and they run diamonds on us.

In short, while 1C is perhaps technically the ‘correct’ call, I think it’s losing bridge, in the long run.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-January-30, 04:59

We actually play 1x-1y-3N as this sort of thing (huge 4441 with support) rather than the traditional hand with a long minor. You can also put it into your multi.

Mike: may depend on your 2N range, but do you really think partner is bidding over 2N with J or Q xxx, 10xxx, xxxx, Q ? (or the (34)51 version of that) I would bid over a 2+ club with that but probably not a 20-21 2N particularly with the J rather than Q.

#6 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-January-30, 05:29

You can put the strong 4441s into your Multi 2 or 2 bids giving 2X-2X+1-3Y, where Y is the suit below the short suit.

With the hand above
2 - 2
3 is 4414/44(05)

Another alternative is on Chris Ryall's site, but this may require tweaking other parts of your system.

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2023-January-30, 07:55

View PostCyberyeti, on 2023-January-30, 04:59, said:

We actually play 1x-1y-3N as this sort of thing (huge 4441 with support) rather than the traditional hand with a long minor. You can also put it into your multi.

Mike: may depend on your 2N range, but do you really think partner is bidding over 2N with J or Q xxx, 10xxx, xxxx, Q ? (or the (34)51 version of that) I would bid over a 2+ club with that but probably not a 20-21 2N particularly with the J rather than Q.

No. But note that I said that if partner has a hand on which he’d respond in a major to a 1C opening, then he rates to respond to 2N. Now, in fairness, one can, I suppose, come up with a hand where he’s too weak to respond to 1C but would do so anyway because he’s very short in clubs. But one can’t cover every possibility. You have to open something and I remain convinced that 2N is the best call.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-30, 09:04

I agree with Mike (again, almost by rote, when it comes to bridge judgement. When I don't agree, he usually convinced me he's right). Just a note that at least in the ACBL, you only get to use Mike's level of judgement on the Open/Open+ charts; if you're stuck in Basic+, that T had better be the Q.

"If the law says that, the law is an..." yeah, I know. I don't disagree either. But still.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#9 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-January-30, 09:06

View Postmikeh, on 2023-January-30, 07:55, said:

No. But note that I said that if partner has a hand on which he’d respond in a major to a 1C opening, then he rates to respond to 2N. Now, in fairness, one can, I suppose, come up with a hand where he’s too weak to respond to 1C but would do so anyway because he’s very short in clubs. But one can’t cover every possibility. You have to open something and I remain convinced that 2N is the best call.

It's a hand where there is no perfect opening bid unless you have a system bid for it. I happen to prefer 1, you aren't doing to enjoy 2N-3N opposite some weak hands with 5 or 6 clubs and a doubleton diamond either.

#10 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-January-30, 10:20

View Postmikeh, on 2023-January-29, 23:48, said:

Were partner not a passed hand, I’d reject 1C because I can never catch up after a 1M response, and I definitely can’t drive beyond game without some sign of life from partner…who will not stretch since he won’t and shouldn’t play me for this much.

I would prefer 2NT to 1 in either situation. But if one does choose 1 and unpassed partner responds 1M, what is the catch up problem you see? I'm going to splinter 3, now partner has some idea of my shape and the ensuing control-bid sequence is going to expose most slams, I would have thought.

#11 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-January-30, 11:48

While I'm excited to be opening off shape nt hands, I thought my best approach here was 1.
I didn't want to hear 2nt:3nt. I can handle any response other than perhaps 2 from partner. I don't have a splinter available.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#12 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-January-30, 14:46

View Postjillybean, on 2023-January-30, 11:48, said:

While I'm excited to be opening off shape nt hands, I thought my best approach here was 1.
I didn't want to hear 2nt:3nt. I can handle any response other than perhaps 2 from partner. I don't have a splinter available.

Curious, what is 4 if it isn't a splinter ?

I don't like 4, you really expect partner to bid up with Qxxxx, Kxx, xxx, xx which is all you need for a slam.

#13 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-January-30, 15:28

View PostCyberyeti, on 2023-January-30, 14:46, said:

A void, as 3 might as well already be splinter?

#14 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-January-30, 15:37

View Postjillybean, on 2023-January-30, 11:48, said:

Make it just:

and you have probably have 6 or even 7, yet would bid the same.
Time to rethink.

#15 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-January-30, 15:59

View Postpescetom, on 2023-January-30, 15:28, said:

A void, as 3 might as well already be splinter?

OP said they didn't have a splinter available under the diagram where they posted the whole hand

#16 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2023-January-30, 16:07

View PostCyberyeti, on 2023-January-30, 15:59, said:

OP said they didn't have a splinter available under the diagram where they posted the whole hand

Yes, but nevertheless you said:

View PostCyberyeti, on 2023-January-30, 14:46, said:

and I was replying to that.

Splinter replies are pertinent to the thread as presumably OP is looking for alternative methods.

#17 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-January-30, 17:27

My uncertainty on this hand was the opening. After the 1 response I'm somewhat constrained by not having a splinter available.
3/4 undiscussed
(still learning)

#18 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2023-January-31, 03:33

View Postjillybean, on 2023-January-30, 17:27, said:

My uncertainty on this hand was the opening. After the 1 response I'm somewhat constrained by not having a splinter available.
3/4 undiscussed

But the good thing: Your partner did make a response, ask him, if he whould also make a response without the Jack.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#19 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2023-January-31, 04:46

View Postpescetom, on 2023-January-30, 16:07, said:

Yes, but nevertheless you said:

and I was replying to that.

Splinter replies are pertinent to the thread as presumably OP is looking for alternative methods.

The point I was making was if 4 was bid undiscussed, what else was it going to be taken as ? It doesn't matter on the actual hand, partner will sign off as fast as possible, but 4 has to be a splinter whether void or singleton.

#20 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked

Posted 2023-January-31, 11:20

View PostP_Marlowe, on 2023-January-31, 03:33, said:

But the good thing: Your partner did make a response, ask him, if he whould also make a response without the Jack.

Give him 4 spades 842x and I'd expect him to bid 1 but I will check :)

Edit: yes, I will get a 1 response with 6 points a any 4 spades
(still learning)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users