• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suicidal defence

#1 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2023-January-28, 18:13

Hi

I'm trying to work out what went wrong in this hand and what the exact sequence of bidding and play was that led to West bot suicidally leading back to North's spades with no other entries available

There were four different auctions

4H preempt, 1H followed by 4H, 2C getting to 4H and 1H taking a bit longer to get to 4H. It doesn't appear that related to the different definitions of the hands - although most were outside accurate point counts for simulation

There are two ways of engineering an entry. One is to use the diamonds (duck and then ruff) and the other is to lead spades, and have them led back by West

Can anyone explain how you know how to get that good fortune

I was in the half who didn't leading to a 12 pt IMP swing

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-28, 18:42

Good defense by GIB to keep a diamond winner at the end.

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2023-January-29, 01:16

The defense is so bad that if it were a human partner I would contemplate murder as in the Bennett Bridge Murder case :)

It is the sort of mistake you expect a complete novice to make...unbelievable!

(I await smerriman's comment with interest.)

#4 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-29, 01:38

View Postthepossum, on 2023-January-28, 18:13, said:

Can anyone explain how you know how to get that good fortune

As I've explained in many similar past threads, you can't "know" and you can't do anything to "get" it. If you repeat the same hand over multiple times, GIB won't return a spade.

The reason GIB, on very rare occasions, leads a spade is because it doesn't rule out the fact that you might have gone with suicidal declarer play, forgetting to draw trumps and leading from a doubleton spade holding, thus opening yourself up to get beaten by West giving East a ruff in spades.

A large part of defense is figuring out why declarer is taking a certain line; GIB has 0 of that built into its algorithm.

#5 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-29, 05:46

View Postsmerriman, on 2023-January-29, 01:38, said:

As I've explained in many similar past threads, you can't "know" and you can't do anything to "get" it. If you repeat the same hand over multiple times, GIB won't return a spade.

The reason GIB, on very rare occasions, leads a spade is because it doesn't rule out the fact that you might have gone with suicidal declarer play, forgetting to draw trumps and leading from a doubleton spade holding, thus opening yourself up to get beaten by West giving East a ruff in spades.

A large part of defense is figuring out why declarer is taking a certain line; GIB has 0 of that built into its algorithm.

One of the lines required delaying drawing trumps and ducking and ruffing a diamond

I think that happened in one of the other auctions or not covering club lead

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users