• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Almost a good defence

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-October-21, 10:57

Acol weak NT system. The displayed auction may not be correct. I know partner raised diamonds at some point and North definitely had the last bid, I can't remember whether or not partner doubled before raising.

Partner leads the A. I wanted partner to switch to a heart and came up with the idea that this was similar to the situation where dummy comes down with a singleton and the rank of the card played signals which suit to switch too. I knew declarer almost certainly a singleton and thought partner would deduce this, so played the king in an attempt to induce a heart switch.

Partner did switch, unfortunately she switched to a club straight into declarer's AQ. That was 5= for a bottom instead of 5-1 for a top. Oops.

#2 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2022-October-21, 14:26

Firstly imo you have no reason to bid 5 diamonds but the defence is utterly hopeless from your partner.
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-October-21, 16:12

View Posteagles123, on 2022-October-21, 14:26, said:

Firstly imo you have no reason to bid 5 diamonds but the defence is utterly hopeless from your partner.

I have likely got the auction wrong but the overall picture of a spade-diamond battle is correct. I was mainly trying to illustrate my thinking in the defence at trick one which almost worked.

#4 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-October-21, 22:08

Your need to find a new partner! How can the K be anything else than a switch to a imo.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users