• You cannot reply to this topic

Huge hand over pre-empt

#21 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-September-24, 05:33

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-September-24, 02:32, said:

Since we start with a weak 2 in front of the preempt, bidding the slam is trivial, this is not the best hand we've seen oposite one of our weak 2s by a long way.

We weren't playing weak 2 but if we were I wouldn't open 2 with only five and a four card major. I play weak twos in second seat as sound.

#22 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-24, 05:42

View PostAL78, on 2022-September-24, 05:33, said:

We weren't playing weak 2 but if we were I wouldn't open 2 with only five and a four card major. I play weak twos in second seat as sound.

As I said, I missed it was second seat not first, we don't open it in 2nd, but do in first.

#23 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-September-24, 16:39

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-September-24, 03:46, said:

I wouldn't open this 2 with three flaws - second seat, four card hearts side suit and no intermediates. I think this is resulting.

the extrem in weak 2 opening are
Ekren 0-5 HCP 4+ AND 4+ EVEN A 4=4=3=2
THE ORIGINAL IS OPENED WITH 2
OR OPENING 2 0-5 HCP 5+ 0-3 0-5 m
part of some strong club system have udiciplend 2 level weak opening
from 2 to 2 so you can open with 5m and 4M normaly in first or second chair rarely at third chair Never in 4 chair

#24 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-September-24, 17:48

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-September-24, 01:48, said:

Without the preempt there is room to investigate, but with it 3NT seems like the right move.

That balancing on 0-10 idea is nuts, why doesn't the partner of preempter have a lousy 11 and the preempter a maximum? You'll be handing out 530's and 730's.

I was about to say something similar. What some people don’t seem to recognize is that after two passes, third seat can basically do pretty much anything. Yes, if he has a full opening hand and partner a strong hand for his pass, one may miss a game. Meanwhile, when game isn’t on, we’ve jammed the auction and created major problems for the opponents

This is very much a matchpoint strategy, since missing games at imps isn’t a great idea. I’ve enjoyed a number of excellent results after heavy third seat two bids and, less often, three bids.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#25 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-September-24, 23:06

View PostDavidKok, on 2022-September-24, 01:48, said:

Without the preempt there is room to investigate, but with it 3NT seems like the right move.

That balancing on 0-10 idea is nuts, why doesn't the partner of preempter have a lousy 11 and the preempter a maximum? You'll be handing out 530's and 730's.

I was about to say something similar. What some people don’t seem to recognize is that after two passes, third seat can basically do pretty much anything. Yes, if he has a full opening hand and partner a strong hand for his pass, one may miss a game. Meanwhile, when game isn’t on, we’ve jammed the auction and created major problems for the opponents

This is very much a matchpoint strategy, since missing games at imps isn’t a great idea. I’ve enjoyed a number of excellent results after heavy third seat two bids and, less often, three bids.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#26 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-26, 13:30

My copy of Andersen and Zenkel Auken is in another country, but ISTR something like:
(3M)-3NT: 15-20 or so, balanced with stoppers. Is it right? Who knows?

Sometimes preempts work. That's why they're still played.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users