Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Agreed suit

#1 User is offline   izzykatz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-September-13, 01:55

I bid 1 spade, partner answers Bergen 3 diamond. We have enough strength to try slam.
If I bid 4 no trump - is the suit set and known for all (spade)?
Izzy

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2022-September-13, 02:23

Yes, but also it is very unlikely that 4NT is the best bid on the given auction. Normally you would make control bids first, rather than asking for keycards.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-September-13, 04:22

Adding to David’s post: keycard is intended to keep you out of small slam (rather than, as most players seem to think, to simply announce that you are interested in slam) or to allow you to bid grand when you can count thirteen winners.

While I can construct hands where the only question we have, after a Bergen 1M 3D is how many keycards partner has, such will be very rare. Hence, as David said, one normally cuebids, learning whether we have all the suits under first or second round control, before launching into keycard.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-September-13, 08:21

You have bid and raised spades. Therefore spades are trump for an eventual 4NT Keycard.

As everyone is saying, it's too early for Keycard absent some crazy hand like AJxxxx A KQx KQx. But after you know that you actually have 12 tricks, and it's time to find out if you're going to lose 2 first, when you bid 4NT it will be Keycard for spades.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   izzykatz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2022-September-13, 09:01

Thanks for the fast reply
Izzy

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users