• You cannot reply to this topic

Extreme freak

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-August-26, 12:46

Here is an extreme board partner and I got on the wrong side of:

I was East. I thought about a simple overcall but in the end decided to try and shut out the spade suit. It didn't work. Partner doubled thinking she had a couple of club tricks and a heart trick not knowing we had a nine card side fit so two tricks aren't likely to stand up. A shared bottom with one other pair. If partner doesn't double it is a shared second from bottom so it made little difference. Everyone else was allowed to play in 5 or 6, a few making 12 tricks (including the one pair doubled in 6).

#2 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-26, 12:58

Your 4H call is well thought. Not much defense, and a 74 shape at green with AK in the suit are more than enough.

The rest is a bit unlucky (if S doesn’t bid, N will) but partner’s X was definitely sporty, it is not guaranteed that a H is cashing. And at green, you might not even have the HA.

If lots of pairs were allowed to play 4 or 5H, the level of the game at your club is not extremely high. Wether S or N bids, the other owes him 1 more trick when your side competes at 5H. The par is probably 6HX-1 at IMPs for sure and probably at MPs too.

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2022-August-26, 12:59

If partner bid 5 rather than 5 you might well take the save instead. It really should show heart support as well.

#4 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2022-August-26, 13:13

View PostCyberyeti, on 2022-August-26, 12:59, said:

If partner bid 5 rather than 5 you might well take the save instead. It really should show heart support as well.

That is a good idea, after a pre-empt a new suit response in competition is a fit non-jump which alerts the pre-emptor to any big double fits.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2022-August-26, 14:15

View PostAL78, on 2022-August-26, 13:13, said:

That is a good idea, after a pre-empt a new suit response in competition is a fit non-jump which alerts the pre-emptor to any big double fits.

Most experts would play 5C as simply lead-directing, rather than necessarily showing length as well as high cards. Once partner overcalls 4H, I’d say the chances of a heart cashing are no better than 50%. Overcaller hasn’t denied 8 hearts! And f only 7, the remaining hearts will often be 0-2….I’d not worry about partner not holding the Ace when I have the queen, unless h3 has 8 in which case we definitely don’t want a heart lead.

South’s 4S was a bit strange…it requires an understanding partner to bid on a 5 count and a Jack high six card suit, but north can’t pass 4H with 4=7.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   bluenikki 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-August-26, 14:47

View Postmikeh, on 2022-August-26, 14:15, said:

Most experts would play 5C as simply lead-directing, rather than necessarily showing length as well as high cards. Once partner overcalls 4H, I’d say the chances of a heart cashing are no better than 50%. Overcaller hasn’t denied 8 hearts! And f only 7, the remaining hearts will often be 0-2….I’d not worry about partner not holding the Ace when I have the queen, unless h3 has 8 in which case we definitely don’t want a heart lead.

South’s 4S was a bit strange…it requires an understanding partner to bid on a 5 count and a Jack high six card suit, but north can’t pass 4H with 4=7.

"Seven-four: bid some more" applies to east as well as north.

#7 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2022-August-26, 14:53

View Postmikeh, on 2022-August-26, 14:15, said:

We actually play it mainly lead directing (although it usually in my experience happens to have length), but FNJ is also a legit use.

#8 User is online   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2022-August-27, 00:48

They did well to get to 5S, and I would have let them play there, from your comment the X did not change the
final score much.
I am not sure, I would have found the 4S bid, if North bids 5D, you will be able to play 5H most of the time.

Next board.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#9 User is offline   michel444 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2022-September-14, 20:24

I don't think i will bid 4H over 1
i think a 2 showing a 6 cards major suit is more my style
now LHO is not sure what to do you partner should bid 2 pass or corect to 3

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic