BBO Discussion Forums: I need some advise - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

I need some advise

#1 User is offline   Shibboleth 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-August-13, 16:22

Can you advise some Competitive bridge books and/or internet sources please?I trying to play SAYC , but fail to compete in tournements. Thanks from now.
Have no fear of perfection- you'll never reach it.
-- Salvador Dali

#2 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-August-13, 16:54

Mike Lawrence's complete book on overcall and william bill root's commonsense bidding

#3 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2003-August-13, 17:36

Don't forget Lawrence's text on hand evaluation...many players have benefitted from this book.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-August-13, 17:44

Can you advise some Competitive bridge books and/or internet sources please?I trying to play SAYC , but fail to compete in tournements. Thanks from now.

Larry Cohen's Book "To bid or not to bid" followed quickly by Robson/Segal's excellent book...."Parntership bidding" which can be found on line in PDF format at Dan Neil's webpage... at
http://www.geocities...neill_2000/sys/ his page says he presents this book "with permission from the authors"
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   bglover 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-August-14, 11:06

Depends on what aspects of your game you want to work on...

I agree Lawrence's book on hand evaluation is the best book I've ever read... it really helps you think like a bridge player in all aspects of your game but...

If you are relatively new and have trouble with declarer play, Watson's is the recognized standard.

If you need to work on your defense, I like Eddie Kantar's books. They make you think through the problems, not just feed you the correct answer.

If you want to work on your bidding, particularly in competitive auctions, there are many excellent books out there. Cohen's books are good for the "decision making" process, but are not going to help you devise a system of bids to communicate with partner... I would probably look at something by Dick Pavlicek or Frank Stewart if that was my intention (Pav's website has a wealth of good info there).

Another good book for overall bridge is Kantar's Bridge for Dummies. I flipped through this book a while back and found it both entertaining and informative. I would have no trouble recommending this book to a newer player.

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2003-August-14, 12:03

I'll note in passing that books are somewhat "passe".

I find that I am able to learn much more from a good software program than from a book. BridgeMaster is a great way to test you declarer play. [Much more interesting than reading Watson] Kantar's book on defense is also available in electronic format.

I agree with the recommendation about Lawrence's book on hand evaluation.
I like Clyde Love's book on Squeezes is good. I also have a passing fondness for "Invitation to Annihilation" by Lipkin.
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   Shibboleth 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-August-14, 14:35

Thank you all for your nice advises . I needed advise about competitive bridge books because there is no good players where i live. But in this forum there is expert players to give me book names.I'm an intermediate bridge player(trying to improove myself) and i m living in countryside ,theres is no bookstore here ,i will order all of them :)
Have no fear of perfection- you'll never reach it.
-- Salvador Dali

#8 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-August-14, 14:58

I'm not very experienced in teaching but from my point of view competitive bidding is an area to develop for well advanced players. If you think you are intermediate my advise is to improve your defensive skills, defense is the hardest part of the game and it's very important.
Get some books on defense and apply the concepts.
Just my 2cents.
The legend of the black octogon.

#9 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2003-August-14, 18:46

Another area that I see many suffer is the area of slam bidding. The book "Godfrey's Bridge Challenge" is one of the most excellent books wrote (as most of you know, when Rosenkranz writes, I buy) on this topic and others, and is an inspiration to Key Lime Precision.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#10 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-August-15, 16:05

If you are relatively new and have trouble with declarer play, Watson's is the recognized standard.

Ugh. I find Watson horribly dry to read. I'd recommend Bill Root's "How to Play a Bridge Hand", and "How to Defend a Bridge Hand" instead. Also Mollo & Gardner's "Card Play Technique".

If you need to work on your defense, I like Eddie Kantar's books. They make you think through the problems, not just feed you the correct answer.

This I'll agree with.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users