BBO Discussion Forums: Freak boards got us from the bottom to the middle - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Freak boards got us from the bottom to the middle

#1 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2021-November-11, 11:04

We played 7 rounds of 2 boards with 5 tables in total, MP scoring in online play, with all boards played simultaneously, after round 5 we were right at the bottom of the ranking list.

We had only 4 boards remaining to rescue our ranking. I start to find way to generate some swings as an attempt to get our ranking up.

Board 11, sitting S:

It was expected that everyone would land in the same contract 4. We got lucky that the opponents didn't find the killing lead, and we scored a top as a result as the only table making 4. In reality 4 tables ended up at 4 and 1 ended up at 3NT, and the 3NT table ended up 3NT=.

Board 12, sitting S:

Once partner responded 2, I immediately expected the field would sit at 4, and I wanted to generate a swing by bidding a borderline slam. As we were not an established partnership, we hadn't even agreed on which variant of Blackwood we were using (this was a standard Blackwood situation), so I tried cuebidding first, but my partner responded 4NT anyway. I was forced to make up a response and ended up at 5 just made, losing to an ace and an offside king.

Turned out that we were the only table playing in . 3 other tables played in , 2 of them didn't even bother to find a fit after 1 opening (one raised to 4 directly, another splintered 4), and the remaining table was unable to find a fit since W opened 1. There was one table playing in 3NT as well, the same table who played 3NT in the last board. I was surprised that so many people didn't even bother to find a major suit fit after 1 opening even in MP scoring.

Board 13, sitting W:

Double-dummy result is +1 but it requires finessing the K once then drop it the second time, which no sane person will do. A normal line of play should result in 9 tricks. However, we got lucky that the opponent attacked the themselves, giving us a few more tricks in for us to run our , resulting in another top for us.

And the final wild board 14, sitting W:

After 1-(1), I Xed to show both majors. N bid 1 and my partner bid 4. At that moment I knew this was wild and it would be some serious swings. Using the information given, I believed that my partner must have shortness so I considered no loser, and partner's opening bid meant he very likely had a cover for my loser as well, and I made up my courage, picked the 6 bid, which my partner made 12 tricks.

Among 5 tables, we were the only one who actually bid a slam. 3 other tables ended up at 5, and 1 ended up at a disastrous 5 by W. Those 3 tables who ended up at 5 all had the auction preempted with 3 after the opening bid, and the disastrous table had the bidding 1 - (1) - 1 - (3) - / - (5) - 5 - (x) - //, where the suit was never shown.

And finally we ended up at the middle of the ranking list.

#2 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-November-11, 12:05

Yes, a bit of luck in either direction can make a significant difference to your score.

#3 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-November-11, 14:32

Board 12: the 4H bid would be taken by the majority of experienced players as a splinter, not a cuebid

west must have been asleep throughout. I can see the initial pass if one needs sound values to open, but to pass at his second turn is bizarre. Bidding 5C quickly might make life difficult for N-S…obviously it’s east who’d need to bid this and it’s not clear (to put it mildly) but west took his side completely out of the board.

Board 13: on a spade lead, which looks normal, you’re in trouble. Top the king with the Ace and now what?

You could play a heart to the Ace and then make a guess in clubs. Lead the Jack, hoping for the Kxx onside and 10x offside or low to the Queen and then the ace, hoping for the actual Kx onside (both lines win if it’s K10 onside).

But if you lose a club trick, you’re almost certainly down since it’s very likely east has a heart entry.

So in 3N I might duck the first spade, intending to duck twice if RHO returns a spade revealing a 5-3 split and to win if he returns tge 2, revealing the 4-4.

Then I’d play the club Ace (in case of stiff King) and exit a club towards the Jack. On a 3-2 club break and the known 4-4 spade split, I have 9 tricks.

On 14, I think the double is insane. What if North jumps in diamonds? There is something about your hand that suggests this might happen. Opener doesn’t promise a 4 card major with 1C. My advice: bid 1S. You have ample values to deal with almost anything N-S does. You can later double (for takeout) a 3D bid by North should partner pass, so you’ll reach not only 4-4 hearts but also 6-3 and sometimes 6-2 spade fits, which double essentially renders nearly impossible on normal bidding.

Btw, I consider 1D an unusual action with only 3 major suit spot cards and 7 diamonds. While partner won’t play us for AKQxxxx for 3D, tactically it has to be bad bridge to let LHO begin bidding majors at the one-level.

Despite this hopefully constructive criticism, well done for salvaging your round.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#4 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-12, 18:34

Needing some swings, I wouldn't have bid Stayman on Board 11, preferring to jump directly to 3N. It's not the best hand for this action - I'd much prefer to have KJ doubleton and Axx - but 3N vs 4M with 29 HCP combined is a good place to get a swing.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users