BBO Discussion Forums: All games will have at least -2 with 25 HCPs combined in double dummy - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All games will have at least -2 with 25 HCPs combined in double dummy Once opened 2C with 24 HCPs, the hand is doomed

#1 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2021-November-04, 08:27

This is the hand involved:

EW has 25 HCPs, no 8-card fit and 2 stoppers in every suit except where only 1 stopper is available. Look like a textbook 2-3NT bid?! None makes in double dummy. The par result is 2 by the weaker pair on the only trump fit available!

This is the full traveller:
https://www.bridgeba...name=mikl_plkcc

Among all 73 tables, there were only 2 which made a game, and my partner did a great job doubling them holding 5 trumps.

The best action by E/W is to double everything N/S bid after the 2 opening, but I took the risk in order to hope that my partner would have to compete, and that they would not be able to double my 2 bid for penalty in their system.

Otherwise, this hand was doomed by E/W unless their system allowed them to stop at 2 or 2NT after opening 2.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2021-November-04, 09:00

There are no entries to West's hand and neither does West have any tricks.
If this was euchre East might as well go alone!
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-November-04, 13:38

IMO, east should double to show the big NT type hand. As I play it, 2C would not be bid with a 1444 hand so with a suit-oriented hand a suit would be bid over opponent's bid. As for west, there isn't much reason to think the double should be pulled. I would pass and lead a heart - not the best lead as it turns out.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-04, 14:30

"Standard" in the ACBL would be a double by West saying "I have a really bad hand". Depending on agreements, that either says "no A or K (but could be 12 in quacks) or something less (I usually include "no QQ, or 5 high"). Pass shows enough to game force. If it's just "no AK control", East is just in a guess. Partner could have enough to make 4 - or 6! hearts, or 3NT - or she could have this hand. If it's the lower style I prefer, especially at these colours, pass is a good guess.

Resulting, but given that partner has 0-?, I'd double as East and take the points. Hope it's -2 and we don't have slam. But I can see why you would bid. If I did bid, it would be 2NT, though - that heart suit isn't really great, knowing that partner is kind of priced into raising you (is 3 "asking for a stopper"? or good heart raise? Because partner isn't bidding 3NT here!) Yes, on another hand we're in 3NT off a bunch of diamond tricks when partner has Txx and something and I look a little silly. But that's why people overcall.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#5 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2021-November-05, 06:02

View PostWinstonm, on 2021-November-04, 13:38, said:

IMO, east should double to show the big NT type hand. As I play it, 2C would not be bid with a 1444 hand so with a suit-oriented hand a suit would be bid over opponent's bid. As for west, there isn't much reason to think the double should be pulled. I would pass and lead a heart - not the best lead as it turns out.

So you play an agreement that, after interruption, X rebid after 2 opening isn't a takeout double? And how do you bid with 1444 hand with 23+ points?

#6 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-05, 07:06

Some people use a multi or transfer preempt and include some strong offshape hands.

Worrying about 1444's is a sucker's game. Just accept you can't show strong hands with that shape, and find the smallest lie when you are dealt one. Showing the most frequent (balanced, stronger than 2NT) hand type unambiguously is much more important.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-05, 07:10

Could be worse, I can visualise 2-2-X(bust)-P-P-P for the only making game on the board (if partner's bust was 2155 you were potentially getting quite rich)

#8 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-November-05, 08:05

View Postmikl_plkcc, on 2021-November-05, 06:02, said:

So you play an agreement that, after interruption, X rebid after 2 opening isn't a takeout double? And how do you bid with 1444 hand with 23+ points?

I open 1 of something If must open 2C I treat it as a NT hand

I play a standard treatment where pass by responder is cards and double shows weakness.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#9 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-05, 10:07

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-November-05, 07:10, said:

Could be worse, I can visualise 2-2-X(bust)-P-P-P for the only making game on the board (if partner's bust was 2155 you were potentially getting quite rich)

I think 2Sx goes down on optimal defense as declarer keeps getting forced in hearts promoting a third trump trick for EW

#10 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-05, 11:06

Most good pairs would X 2 on the West hand to show weakness. But most social pairs have no idea how to bid after interference of their strong, artificial 2m opening, so interference works remarkably well; move up the ladder a couple of rungs and things change a little. NV it would be quite reasonable to overcall 3 with the South hand.

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-05, 16:26

View PostEricK, on 2021-November-05, 10:07, said:

I think 2Sx goes down on optimal defense as declarer keeps getting forced in hearts promoting a third trump trick for EW

True, but the small hand has to lead a heart blind, which they might do but it's far from certain.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users