• You cannot reply to this topic

Gerber?

#21 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2021-November-03, 05:25

View PostLBengtsson, on 2021-November-01, 21:51, said:

The poll on bridgewinners says it all...

who uses gerber? 33-34 in no trump contract for small slam. what it does not say on the ingredient tin is that with 33 or 34 points you will make 6NT also. north has AK K AJ and east leads QJ10 and his partner has A. not just missing AK 6NT will not make.

I will stop at 3NT is 33 is the max, and bid 6NT if 35 is guaranteed. If the estimated range is between 33 to 35 I will use Gerber.

With 34 I bid 6NT if all aces are held, but stop at 4NT if an ace is missing.

Similarly, the minimum I will consider 7NT is 38; with 37 I will go to 7NT if QJ is missing, but stay at 6NT if a K is missing.

#22 User is offline   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2021-November-03, 05:27

View PostDavidKok, on 2021-November-02, 09:34, said:

Depending on your system there's no need to misdescribe upgrade the hand. You have the boss suit so interference is not a problem, and if partner has a way to show 10-11 balanced over 1 you won't miss 3NT. If anything, opening 1NT makes you miss 4.

Sticking to MLT with the interior sequence in spades and both red 10s seems a bit too dogmatic. I think the hand is well worth a 15-17 NT opening, but a 1 opening is even better.

Dogmatic yes, but I upgrade MLT (non-simple) for the JTs and still too weak.
I prefer systematic/consistent and use as a tiebreak after an invite with 16hcp or in this case to upgrade or not

#23 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-November-03, 08:56

View Postmikl_plkcc, on 2021-November-03, 05:25, said:

I will stop at 3NT is 33 is the max, and bid 6NT if 35 is guaranteed. If the estimated range is between 33 to 35 I will use Gerber.

With 34 I bid 6NT if all aces are held, but stop at 4NT if an ace is missing.

Similarly, the minimum I will consider 7NT is 38; with 37 I will go to 7NT if QJ is missing, but stay at 6NT if a K is missing.

Losing bridge imo.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#24 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2021-November-06, 04:50

Why is it losing bridge? There are 40 HCPs in total, and with perfectly balanced hands, HCPs are a good indicator of trick taking potential. So it translates to 3 HCPs per trick, 35-37 for 12 tricks and 38-40 for 13 tricks.

37 without a K means 50% chance for the K to be on side only, definitely not a good probability for bidding 7. And although 50% is the theoretical break even point for a small slam, you need to consider if other people will be in game or slam anyway - others may have bid a one in a bad denomination which doesn't make - looking at the travellers there are usually a lot of strange contracts which is impossible if done in a classroom.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users