• You cannot reply to this topic

Amusing freak

#1 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-October-29, 07:58

You hold 10 solid spades and Qxx

What do you open ?

I'll give the other hand later, it's a hand where you could legitimately get a very stupid result.

#2 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-October-29, 08:43

Cyberyeti, on 2021-October-29, 07:58, said:

What do you open ?

I'll give the other hand later, it's a hand where you could legitimately get a very stupid result.

4 if playing Namyats, otherwise 1. I can see a case for opening 1, hoping partner can support, then bid 5NT GSF, but that won't work as opps will be bidding one of the red suits to a high level quickly.

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-October-29, 08:49

1. opening 2 will make partner think you have a hand with more defensive strength. it is very not likely that you will buy contract in 1.

opening 6 will give opponents less room to maneuver but is a total guess :)

bridge diagram has dropped the 10th AKQJ1098765

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-October-29, 08:52

AL78, on 2021-October-29, 08:43, said:

4 if playing Namyats, otherwise 1. I can see a case for opening 1, hoping partner can support, then bid 5NT GSF, but that won't work as opps will be bidding one of the red suits to a high level quickly.

Do you mean 4 or 4, I thought 4 showed hearts, that will guarantee you a monumentally stupid result

#5 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-October-29, 10:54

Cyberyeti, on 2021-October-29, 08:52, said:

Do you mean 4 or 4, I thought 4 showed hearts, that will guarantee you a monumentally stupid result

Yes sorry I meant 4.

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-29, 10:58

And unfortunately, 4 showing spades will also get you a stupid result when partner plays you for about two tricks fewer than you have and stops in 4. But it might be the best chance to stop the opponents from finding their good result.

Really old-fashioned, but 4NT "specific Ace ask" might get you what you need to know.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-October-29, 11:19

mycroft, on 2021-October-29, 10:58, said:

Really old-fashioned, but 4NT "specific Ace ask" might get you what you need to know.

Could easily get you to 6 on a finesse, and also gives you a problem if partner shows 2.

#8 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-29, 13:18

Cyberyeti, on 2021-October-29, 11:19, said:

Could easily get you to 6 on a finesse, and also gives you a problem if partner shows 2.

Are either of those a problem? The former is more than 50% since partner might have another club honor. The latter is only bad if they're the wrong two aces AND partner doesn't have the king AND opps find the right lead.

The downside is more that there's a decent chance we play 5 with 3 losers..

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-October-29, 13:31

smerriman, on 2021-October-29, 13:18, said:

Are either of those a problem? The former is more than 50% since partner might have another club honor. The latter is only bad if they're the wrong two aces AND partner doesn't have the king AND opps find the right lead.

The downside is more that there's a decent chance we play 5 with 3 losers..

If partner has the wrong 2 aces, how are you getting to dummy if they lead a trump ? Yes they might give it away on the lead.

The actual issue was different, what do you respond to 4N with 3 aces ?

7 is cold, but 7N-10 is in the frame here in some auctions

#10 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-29, 13:54

Cyberyeti, on 2021-October-29, 13:31, said:

If partner has the wrong 2 aces, how are you getting to dummy if they lead a trump ? Yes they might give it away on the lead.

That's what I was saying - if he has 2 you still make if one ace is the club, or partner has K, or they find the wrong lead - all three combined looks like good odds for a slam compared to simply stopping in 4 and I can't see a more scientific way of figuring out what partner has.

But yes, three aces does pose a little problem :) I guess technically 6 would 3 show aces after which you can bid 7, but it's such a rare convention you'd both have to be on the same page.

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-October-29, 14:06

Cyberyeti, on 2021-October-29, 13:31, said:

The actual issue was different, what do you respond to 4N with 3 aces ?

7 is cold, but 7N-10 is in the frame here in some auctions

If he has that hand, he should bid 7S.

Btw, I’d never open 4N. We are then forced to at least 5S and I have no reason to think that’s making

I’ll bid 1S.I may never be able to show this hand….’may never’ being an understatement, but maybe the other three players will tell me what I need to know.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-October-29, 14:41

mikeh, on 2021-October-29, 14:06, said:

If he has that hand, he should bid 7S.

Btw, I’d never open 4N. We are then forced to at least 5S and I have no reason to think that’s making

I’ll bid 1S.I may never be able to show this hand….’may never’ being an understatement, but maybe the other three players will tell me what I need to know.

If it's pairs, partner will have Kx/x in two of the side suits instead of what he actually has and 7N will be solid.

Yup, to me it's a 1 opener, what do you bid over pard's 2 ? I can bid a GF not necessarily balanced 2N, not sure what you do if you don't have that if you're not playing 2/1.

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-October-29, 14:51

Cyberyeti, on 2021-October-29, 14:41, said:

If it's pairs, partner will have Kx/x in two of the side suits instead of what he actually has and 7N will be solid.

Yup, to me it's a 1 opener, what do you bid over pard's 2 ? I can bid a GF not necessarily balanced 2N, not sure what you do if you don't have that.

For me, 2D is gf. I have an easy 3S over that….my spades will offer a play for no losers opposite a stiff, at a minimum, and may play opposite a void.

In essence, it demands cue-bidding.

With no ace, he bids 3N to slow me down. Otherwise cuebids up the line. If he bids 4C, I’m definitely slamming….though my continuations are going to be difficult for him to read

I very rarely cue shortness in partners main suit as my first cue…such a cue should, imo, tell him that KQJxx or AQJxx will provide 5 winners.

But here, this is such a freak that I think .

I’ll bid keycard now, knowing 6 is cold, just in case. 4S ‘should’ be forcing, but I’m not risking it. I’m missing grand if he has Void Axx KQxxxx AKxx or the like but I’m reaching grand if he has void Axx Axxxxx Axxx
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#14 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-October-29, 15:06

mikeh, on 2021-October-29, 14:51, said:

For me, 2D is gf. I have an easy 3S over that….my spades will offer a play for no losers opposite a stiff, at a minimum, and may play opposite a void.

In essence, it demands cue-bidding.

With no ace, he bids 3N to slow me down. Otherwise cuebids up the line. If he bids 4C, I’m definitely slamming….though my continuations are going to be difficult for him to read

I very rarely cue shortness in partners main suit as my first cue…such a cue should, imo, tell him that KQJxx or AQJxx will provide 5 winners.

But here, this is such a freak that I think .

I’ll bid keycard now, knowing 6 is cold, just in case. 4S ‘should’ be forcing, but I’m not risking it. I’m missing grand if he has Void Axx KQxxxx AKxx or the like but I’m reaching grand if he has void Axx Axxxxx Axxx

We crossed in the posting, I saw that 2/1 would sort this but in standard it's a nightmare.

I strongly suspect while I would open 1, my pard might open 2 and we'd have an easy time 2-3-4-4N-5-5N-7S where 4 is a solid suit, 5N is "we have control of all suits, tell me more" 7 is solid from the spade hand with only one possible downside (somebody else put the hand up but you do actually have a low spade) which is that partner is 1570 or similar and he doesn't have the highest missing trump and they lead one (and not the low one from 2).

#15 User is offline   mikeh 

Posted 2021-October-29, 16:26

Cyberyeti, on 2021-October-29, 15:06, said:

We crossed in the posting, I saw that 2/1 would sort this but in standard it's a nightmare.

I strongly suspect while I would open 1, my pard might open 2 and we'd have an easy time 2-3-4-4N-5-5N-7S where 4 is a solid suit, 5N is "we have control of all suits, tell me more" 7 is solid from the spade hand with only one possible downside (somebody else put the hand up but you do actually have a low spade) which is that partner is 1570 or similar and he doesn't have the highest missing trump and they lead one (and not the low one from 2).

I have a rule about 2C opening hands. The opponents should not be able to bid and make a grand slam with no freakish shape.

#16 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-October-30, 01:29

mikeh, on 2021-October-29, 16:26, said:

I have a rule about 2C opening hands. The opponents should not be able to bid and make a grand slam with no freakish shape.

Yeah, I open them much more rarely than pard does, but when he opens one and I don't it tends to work:

Was another, I held

And we had the unusual auction 2-3-4-7N where every bid was a jump all in different denominations, unfortunately they didn't lead a spade where you have to discard the A to make it.

#17 User is offline   mikl_plkcc 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:sailing, bridge

Posted 2021-October-30, 15:34

Cyberyeti, on 2021-October-29, 07:58, said:

What do you open ?

I open 2, planning to rebid 3. (in my system, a jump rebid open 2 opening means a freak opener)

#18 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2021-October-31, 12:32

Yeah, 4NT looking for the club ace (5 is zero, right? so clubs is the "highest" ace (5NT/6C)?) might be taking too much room.

2 CAB gets you the answer you want, though, with lots of room.

But there's a reason these bids have gone out of fashion, so lump me in with the 1 bidders (my agreements on 2 are similar to Mike's, and I don't feel like Alerting all my 2 openers, we Alert too many weird things already).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#19 User is offline   Gilithin 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-03, 11:32

mycroft, on 2021-October-31, 12:32, said:

Yeah, 4NT looking for the club ace (5 is zero, right? so clubs is the "highest" ace (5NT/6C)?) might be taking too much room.

Traditionally 5 is zero, 5NT is any 2 (or more) and 6 shows A. I think it is better to play 5NT as A, 6 as any 2 aces, 6-6 as the 3 other aces and 6NT as A + A + A. Anything sensible works on this hand but as Mike points out there are plenty of other occasions where anything but 1 is likely to be much less successful. Even if you open a Namyats-style 3NT or 4, which void are you showing when partner asks? Whatever you do is going to be a distortion of some type because bidding systems are just not designed to show 10-0-0-3 hands.

#20 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2021-November-03, 12:01

Gilithin, on 2021-November-03, 11:32, said:

Traditionally 5 is zero, 5NT is any 2 (or more) and 6 shows A. I think it is better to play 5NT as A, 6 as any 2 aces, 6-6 as the 3 other aces and 6NT as A + A + A.

We play 5 as either zero aces or A (5 asks for disambiguation): this frees up 5NT onwards for 2 ace replies and allows opener to use 5NT as a second enquiry over any 1 ace response.
Not that the convention gets much use.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users