• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defensive cock-up

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-October-26, 09:15

MPs. This was embarrasing against the weakest pair in the room.

Yes I should have found the club switch earlier and got it more off, but thought at the time being passive was the way to go. Everyone else is playing in spades our way making 140 or 170. A bottom. Of course as usually what happenes against near beginners they rub my nose in it.

Looking at the hand it looks like I have to lead a club at trick one then lead another one when in with the heart ace. That gives us three club tricks and two red suit aces. Double dummy says we can take another trick somewhere, a diamond lead ducked then club through, DA, D ruff, another club through. I don't know how to find that defence at the table.

#2 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-26, 09:39

View PostAL78, on 2021-October-26, 09:15, said:

Looking at the hand it looks like I have to lead a club at trick one then lead another one when in with the heart ace. That gives us three club tricks and two red suit aces. Double dummy says we can take another trick somewhere, a diamond lead ducked then club through, DA, D ruff, another club through. I don't know how to find that defence at the table.

J to the Ace at trick 1 and the lowest returned asking for a club is sufficient for -3. Once you lead a spade -2 is the best you can get.

If you open 1 you will either overbid to 4 and make it on the lucky lie of the clubs, or partner will axe 4 or you'll play 3

#3 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-26, 09:52

Well - this hand is a case for playing very sound weak 2s - then North can double 4. Makes finding the club switch easier too. (The diamond opening lead is ridiculous.)

The modern trend is to open this hand 1.

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-26, 09:54

View Postakwoo, on 2021-October-26, 09:52, said:

Well - this hand is a case for playing very sound weak 2s - then North can double 4. Makes finding the club switch easier too. (The diamond opening lead is ridiculous.)

The modern trend is to open this hand 1.

Doubleton when you have Ax is attractive, probably what I'd lead if my spades were KJ9xxx, just the sequence in spades looks automatic.

#5 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-October-26, 10:57

"Cock-up"? that is a new English word for my dictionary lol! yes you made a real jumble of the defense. 2 is imo a bad bid in 3rd seat. either open 1 or if you are going to preempt (which is not a good bid) make life difficult with 3. 2 is passive.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users