• You cannot reply to this topic

missed game at teams

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-October-23, 15:31

This hand from Friday evening random teams has been niggling me:

I thought for some time about what to do at my second turn and very nearly doubled, but bottled it. Two off undoubled was a poor score compared to the other table:

Eight imps away. From the brief discussion after the implication was my partner would take a double by me as penalty and passed. +300 our way would at least have limited the loss to three imps.

Was I a coward?

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-23, 15:43

If your partner is going to think double is penalty you were probably right to pass.

But double with anyone else seems clear.

[edit]Sorry, the way I said 'anyone else' sounded way too harsh. But it's very rare someone would play it that way.

#3 User is online   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-October-23, 16:40

There are no guarantees in bridge but playing fearful of error is a losing style. It could go wrong but a takeout double is called for with that hand. If it’s not takeout, change your methods.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-October-23, 19:14

View PostAL78, on 2021-October-23, 15:31, said:

This hand from Friday evening random teams has been niggling me:

I thought for some time about what to do at my second turn and very nearly doubled, but bottled it. Two off undoubled was a poor score compared to the other table:

Eight imps away. From the brief discussion after the implication was my partner would take a double by me as penalty and passed. +300 our way would at least have limited the loss to three imps.

Was I a coward?

This is a good example of why you defend far more than your side declares

I don’t know if you play that a double by partner (over 4H) would be negative. I suspect not, although almost all experts would play it as negative…less experienced players often play negative doubles through 3S or some such. Fwiw, with my current regular partners, we play either through 4S or, as I prefer, through 7S.

The higher the level, the less rigid is the definition of the negative double. Also, the higher the level, the more opener should leave it in absent good shape.

If double would be negative (by responder) then reopening with a double is automatic, since partner may be sitting there with a penalty hand….and, if not, he may well have a long suit he couldn’t bid earlier without grossly overbidding.

If double would be penalty, then once again reopening with a double seems clear to me. If responder has nowhere to go, he passes.

It’s unlikely they can make an overtrick….if they do, c’est la vie. If they make, and for some weird reason the result isn’t duplicated, you’re losing only 5 imps. But once in a while, there is a double game swing on hands like these.

If your partner thinks a reopening double is penalty, he (or she) is mistaken. Think about it: how likely is it that opener has 4 sure defensive tricks sitting in front of the 4H bidder?

My guess is that a takeout double (which will often be left in, either for blood or as the best of poor choices) comes up 10 times as often as a penalty double by opener.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#5 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-October-24, 03:37

View Postmikeh, on 2021-October-23, 19:14, said:

Fwiw, with my current regular partners, we play either through 4S or, as I prefer, through 7S.
My personal preference is to play negative doubles through 7, and when prompted I explain I don't know where to run after 7X. Unfortunately my partners prefer negative doubles through 4 only, so that's what I (am forced to) play.

#6 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2021-October-24, 08:21

Interesting hand.

If you had opened 1 (preparing for easy rebid) then you have several options over 4 and a double for Takeout might be appealing.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#7 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2021-October-24, 11:32

View PostPrecisionL, on 2021-October-24, 08:21, said:

Interesting hand.

If you had opened 1 (preparing for easy rebid) then you have several options over 4 and a double for Takeout might be appealing.

How would opening 1 have made any difference? I still have the same decision on whether to double, and I still have a TOX hand. Looking back I really should have doubled, and hope if partner took it as penalties it at least goes off, or many off if she holds something like KJx.

Why open 1 when I have longer clubs and no bidding problem if partner holds the hearts and I don't get a heart barrage?

#8 User is offline   Douglas43 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Walking, boring my wife with bridge stories

Posted 2021-October-24, 12:00

I agree with the others, it's more likely that you'll want a takeout double than penalties under the bidder. And partner is still there lurking with KJ9x...in my dreams

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users