BBO Discussion Forums: What will happen to the game of bridge if the requirement to disclose agreement is removed? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What will happen to the game of bridge if the requirement to disclose agreement is removed? i.e. the game is played with secret agreements

#21 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-November-04, 14:41

View Postmycroft, on 2021-November-04, 11:16, said:

5-card Stayman: Ah, but not in ACBL or NZ at least (not sure about Oz). Explicitly so that opener can't tell responder what his rebid will mean by Alert of lack thereof. If both are Alertable because "simplicity", of course, then we're back in the same boat.

2C is not alertable in Oz, but the responses are unless it is 2M showing 4+ cards in that suit.

#22 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-04, 15:53

View Postpescetom, on 2021-November-04, 12:01, said:

As mycroft said, it is the responsibility of all players to call the director when an irregularity occurs.
These 5 situations depend upon national regulations and of course some situations are easier to regulate than others (Stayman is an inherent sore spot).
TDs also have discretion about penalties and are often reluctant to issue them in a club situation.
In my club:
1. a mild reprimand, but a penalty after 3-4 times
2. a reprimand, penalty next time
3. like 2
4. like 1 (but an alert is due for any non-natural meaning, not just specific meanings)
5. no action (no alert required above 3NT beyond first round, players in doubt about high level bids are encouraged to ask 'please explain the auction').

What form does a reprimand take?
What are the penalties?
In all the clubs I've played in I have never seen or heard of a maintained database that would allow Directors to record:
"I reprimanded Giuseppe - mildly - on 7Aug 2007. If he fails to announce his better minor twice in the next three years I'll give him right bollocking".

In any case, this doesn't help the people whose game was damaged the first two times.
Isn't rectification of damage the purpose of the rules and regs?

Bridge rules aren't parking tickets they are intended to rectify the damage caused to other parties by omission or commission.
A mild reprimand rectifies nothing.

#23 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-04, 16:02

View Postpilowsky, on 2021-November-04, 15:53, said:

What form does a reprimand take?
What are the penalties?

Are you kidding?
A reprimand is me saying "Giuseppe, you should announce that as 'Strong'", or similar.
A minimum penalty is 1MP.
Giuseppe is going to catch that if he ignores me too often, or arrives late without warning, or fouls a board or whatever.
I don't have problems remembering that I already advised him about the announcement last month and a week ago.
All this has nothing to do with rectification of damage to the opponents.

#24 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-09, 10:37

View Postmycroft, on 2021-November-04, 11:16, said:

5-card Stayman: Ah, but not in ACBL or NZ at least (not sure about Oz). Explicitly so that opener can't tell responder what his rebid will mean by Alert of lack thereof. If both are Alertable because "simplicity", of course, then we're back in the same boat.

4-card Stayman is announced in the EBU.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#25 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-November-09, 11:09

So, 1NT opener gets to tell partner what her responses mean. Great.

Do I think this is an issue in practise? Not as much as many. But the ACBL explicitly removed the Alert from 2NT-3 5-card (and 1NT-2 5-card) because it was felt that too many were using it as a crutch.

So, of course, a whole bunch of people playing 1NT-3 Puppet thought that alert had been taken away as well. Because obviously. Yes, there are benefits to "simpler streamlined Alerting systems" to go with the downsides.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users