BBO Discussion Forums: The opening lead of GIB has reached a new height - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The opening lead of GIB has reached a new height

#1 User is offline   2200 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-September-25, 10:09

Compare to defence, the opening lead of GIB is another area of random non-science. When GIB leads a spot, despite pd bid the suit or not, it could be:
stiff;
low-hi doubleton;
low from honor doubleton;
lowest from tripleton;
3rd best from xxxx;
4th best from KQJxx(yes I was the declarer of 3NT and GIB led 4th best from KQJ9x, giving me the 9th trick);
anything else.

Today's lead taught me a new lesson which has never appeared in my dream.

The contract is normal but has no play as cards lie.Any little old lady would know what to lead holding AKQ.
However, holding AKQxxx in one suit, which is the reason GIB doubled first since it's too strong for one level overcall, GIB tried to "cut the link of dummy's suit",and eventully had to ruff with it's natural trump trick.

Kaplan(or AL Roth?) once taught his pd: when God dealt you KQJ, he's asking you to lead it.
GIB, honestly followed the rule, since it didn't have KQJ.

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-September-25, 12:34

Good decision by GIB to avoid the "obvious" lead from AKQ. That lead has become too cliche to even consider. On the other hand, low from doubleton is all the rage in some circles. Well done by GIB to adopt the latest bridge fad.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users