• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Automatic ?

#21 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-July-19, 07:44

View PostCyberyeti, on 2021-July-19, 01:59, said:

Even more unfortunately the other hand is xxx, void, Ax, AQJxxxxx and the auction at our table was 4-5.
I don't like 4 on this hand. Does 4 not agree spades with extra club length/values? It becomes quite difficult, not to say impossible, for partner to judge that opener has only 3 spades along with 8 club tricks opposite the king.

#22 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-19, 07:53

View PostDavidKok, on 2021-July-19, 07:44, said:

I don't like 4 on this hand. Does 4 not agree spades with extra club length/values? It becomes quite difficult, not to say impossible, for partner to judge that opener has only 3 spades along with 8 club tricks opposite the king.

What do you do with 8 or 9 good but not solid clubs, a card or two and a spade void ? I think you bid 4. Do you think 7 is likely to make if 7 doesn't and partner doesn't put you back to 7 ? it's possible but unlikely. There are plenty of scenarios where having the hand short in the blacks on lead is important.

#23 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-19, 08:11

A void in partner's suit and you want to bid a slam? I'd contend myself with an immediate 5. Natural 4m bids, even if forcing, are big underdogs in competition.

Your system focuses on leads much more than I think is wise, and on the example auction you were unable to judge the level of your fit on the 7-level. I think that this is not a coincidence.

#24 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-July-19, 08:17

View PostDavidKok, on 2021-July-19, 08:11, said:

A void in partner's suit and you want to bid a slam? I'd contend myself with an immediate 5. Natural 4m bids, even if forcing, are big underdogs in competition.

Your system focuses on leads much more than I think is wise, and on the example auction you were unable to judge the level of your fit on the 7-level. I think that this is not a coincidence.

Not my system, this was team mates auction. I wouldn't have bid 4.

#25 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-19, 08:22

Ah, my mistake. The point stands though, I would prefer 4 fit-showing and 5 to play over two shades of club holdings.

#26 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2021-July-19, 09:29

View PostDavidKok, on 2021-July-19, 08:22, said:

Ah, my mistake. The point stands though, I would prefer 4 fit-showing and 5 to play over two shades of club holdings.

Our auction would depend what 2 actually was, but assuming it was ambiguous as to which 2 suiter, we'd have the same auction to 3, I'd bid 3, partner bids 4 and now we're cooking on gas. If opps produce 4 over 3 we may not have gained so much (the 2 suited hand is 1561 his partner was pretty pusillanimous with his 4531 so I suspect he's not bidding again)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users