BBO Discussion Forums: Response after 2D interference - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Response after 2D interference

Poll: Response after 2D interference (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Your call ?

1. Double (11 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. 2S (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. 3C (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 3NT (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Other (please explain) (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-June-30, 09:06

MP

NS play 5cM 2/1 GF. S has fairly solid opening style, unknown opponents.
After 2 interference, agreements are that 2NT is a limit raise with 4 card support, 3 with 3 card support, double shows either a strong hand or 4 card spades with probable clubs.

What is your choice of call? Please answer the poll and make related comments here.

Bonus question: what do you prefer 2 to show in this situation?

#2 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2021-June-30, 09:44

Isn't this a classic (negative) double? I'm prepared to give up on clubs in order to find the spade fit and expect to bid no trump over most of partner's rebids.

Everyone is my world plays 2 as 5+ spades, forcing for one round.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   LBengtsson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-June-30, 13:45

only a amateur would come up with other bid than X. only problem is whether to bid 2NT or 3NT (or 3 or 4 or 3?) after partner bids 2 90% of time. but let partner bid first in response to X

#4 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2021-June-30, 15:43

I play negative free bids so 2 would be an offer to play.
Without NFB, 2 should be forcing 5+

(I voted along with everyone else, for a double)
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH
(still learning)

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-June-30, 17:45

As an amateur player, and I confess I didn’t realize that we still have professional players posting here, I came up with two possibilities.

Since the overcall marks the diamond King onside, we have an opening hand. Unless playing a light opening style (which I do), this is an easy game force. Playing a style where partner opens virtually all 11 counts and some good 10 counts (Axxx AQxxxx x xx is not my idea of either a pass or 2H), it’s not quite so clear.

The normal way to show this shape and strength, if we deem it a game force, is to bid 3C then 3S over the likely 3H.

However, that makes little sense here since we’re looking at the diamond stoppers. So if partner has xx AKxxx xx AKxx we will miss the good slam in clubs. Too bad….we are far more likely to want to play in 3N than in any number of clubs. At the same time, we’d probably do better in a 4-4 spade fit, most of the time, than in 3N.

So I make the seemingly routine double

2S would, for me, show at least 5 spades. The real issue is how much strength does it show.

For example, after 1H (2C), I’d play that 2D is a one round force, but 2S is stronger. Why? Because we don’t want partner to have to jump or cuebid if he has extras and a 6 card heart suit, especially if it’s not a great suit.

Thus 1H (2C) 2S (P) 3H is, imo, not passable. This in turn means that 2S has to be strong enough to be able to bid over 3H.

After 1H (2C) 2D (P) 2H is also ‘forcing’ in that partner shouldn’t pass it, imo, but the partnership can get out in 2N, 3D or 3H.

So here, by analogy, 2S to me promises a hand that can bid again. With weaker, but longer spades, I double and then consider bidding my spades next time. Note I say consider….I’d need to look at my hand and the auction.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   nullve 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:partscores

Posted 2021-June-30, 18:08

Is

View Postmikeh, on 2021-June-30, 17:45, said:

Since the overcall marks the diamond King onside, we have an opening hand. Unless playing a light opening style (which I do), this is an easy game force. Playing a style where partner opens virtually all 11 counts and some good 10 counts (Axxx AQxxxx x xx is not my idea of either a pass or 2H), it’s not quite so clear.

The normal way to show this shape and strength, if we deem it a game force, is to bid 3C then 3S over the likely 3H.

However, that makes little sense here
since we’re looking at the diamond stoppers. So if partner has xx AKxxx xx AKxx we will miss the good slam in clubs. Too bad….we are far more likely to want to play in 3N than in any number of clubs. At the same time, we’d probably do better in a 4-4 spade fit, most of the time, than in 3N.

So I make the seemingly routine double

consistent with

View Postmikeh, on 2021-June-18, 14:11, said:

I’ve seen a number of bad players make negative doubles with game going values and a long suit.

Here’s a typical one: 1H (2C) and we hold KQxx xx AKJxxx xx. I see a lot of doubles here, rather than the clearly correct 2D.

If you have a forcing hand, bid your long suit (assuming it’s 5+) and then if need be, you can later show a second suit, secure in the knowledge that you’re describing your shape and strength to partner.

(from https://www.bridgeba...egative-double/)

?

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2021-June-30, 19:09

I’m probably being naive, but I will give you the benefit of the doubt and proceed on the assumption that you’re asking a sincere question, rather than, as I suspect, trying to criticize my posts. Some of them undoubtedly do deserve criticism but I think you’re way off base here.

I gather, from your posts on this site, that you think you’re a good player. If you are, then I suggest you re-read my posts and the inconsistency will disappear.

Good players plan their auctions as best they can

With KQxx xx AKJxxx x (note that I inadvertently gave us 14 cards….change it to 4=2=6=1/4=1=6=2/4=2=5=2), and a 2C overcall of partner’s 1H, we have three features to show, not counting the heart tolerance which may become important

We want to show values, diamonds and spades. We have zero interest in trying to get to notrump from our side.

A double gets in spades. We can later show strength, although how we do that may be problematic, depending on how the auction proceeds. What we almost surely can’t do, after doubling, is show 4 spades and longer diamonds and game force values.

On the other hand, if we bid 2D, we’ve shown the diamonds and at least much of our strength, and (very importantly) we can expect to be able to show spades, and confirm game going values) at our next turn. And if we belong in 3N by partner, we can usually do this at the 2 or 3 level.

So bidding 2D is clearly superior to doubling.

In contrast, on the hand in this thread, we have 4 things to show, again not worrying much about hearts for now.

We want to suggest spades, to find a 4-4 fit. We want to show game values. We want to show good stoppers. And, in a perfect world, we’d like to show clubs since moderate hands could make a club slam playable

Unfortunately we probably can’t show all of these features below 3N.

So we have to compromise. Bidding 3C will far too often find partner bidding a relatively meaningless 3H…say he has AJx AKJxx xxx xx or such…what else could he do over 3C?

And, depending on style, can he bid 3as on some minimums? Or does 3S show extras? I didn’t want to get into that issue, but it’s important. If he’ll always rebid 3S with 4 spades and 5 hearts, then 3C becomes more playable since a bid of 3H would usually deny 4 spades (though 4=6 majors is a worry) and we can bid 3N over 3H

If partner requires extras for 3S, or we don’t know what partner thinks it requires, bidding 3C rates, much of the time, in our having to suppress either spades or stoppers after he bids 3H.

Also, even when he raises clubs (what else would you have him do with say Qx AQJ10x xxx Kxx) we’d rather be in 3N than 5C and we can’t get there over 4C.

So, because we should be planning the auction, the two hands, being very different, can be treated differently without giving rise to any real inconsistency.

If you were being sincere, then I hope this answers your question.if you were trying to take a shot, then maybe this explanation will help others.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-June-30, 19:17

Mike will probably answer for himself (Edit: he just did :) ) but yes I think it is consistent. When we double with this kind of hands we accept that we can't show the fifth club, which is ok here when we have only five modest clubs and the hand is not very slammish. Also, with KQxx xx AKJxxx xx (14 cards by the way but presumably one of the red doubletons is a singleton) we can bid 2 economically.

This post has been edited by helene_t: 2021-June-30, 19:18

The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2021-July-01, 09:13

Thanks to all who replied here, in particular to mikeh.

I was comfortable with a negative double, but perplexed that some experienced pairs playing similar system bid differently with some 3, 3NT and even one 2 which for me should be 5 card. My agreements here are basically picked up from other players because my teacher was big on negative free bids, so I was wondering if there was maybe more to this than meets the eye.

South had solid 6 card hearts, so most roads led to 4 in any case. Those who punted 3NT hit lucky, with 3NT+2 clearly outscoring 4+1 at MP.

#10 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2021-July-01, 12:19

View Postpescetom, on 2021-July-01, 09:13, said:

Thanks to all who replied here, in particular to mikeh.

I was comfortable with a negative double, but perplexed that some experienced pairs playing similar system bid differently with some 3, 3NT and even one 2 which for me should be 5 card. My agreements here are basically picked up from other players because my teacher was big on negative free bids, so I was wondering if there was maybe more to this than meets the eye.

South had solid 6 card hearts, so most roads led to 4 in any case. Those who punted 3NT hit lucky, with 3NT+2 clearly outscoring 4+1 at MP.

IMO the system you choose to play should be based on the form of scoring you prefer. Negative free bids have always seemed to me to be designed for match point scoring while the standard forcing bid fits imps .

I had the good fortune to play many times against Barry Crane , and his methods always to me seemed custom made for matchpoints.

But unless you can form a Crane-Shuman level partnership, I suggest keeping it standard.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users