• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I this bug or not? An example of very brave slam bidding

#1 User is offline   jardaholy 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-February-24, 13:55

See this board:

I was thinking for a while before my first rebid. Considering 2H as slight underbid, I was almost sure, I would be able to control the bidding after limited 1NT bid from my robot´s partner. However, as you can see, north decided to take the control over the board completely to its side. I think, 4S is the weekest bid in such situation, almost surely denying aces in minor suits. Still, I got 5H cue bid from the north, after what I once more refused to go to the slam. No help - two aces cashed, one down and 6IMPs lost (there were many others who were in the same contract after the same bidding sequence).

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-February-24, 14:21

GIB is really bad at control bidding. Aside from the fact it only cuebids aces, it doesn't take proper negative inferences from bids like 4 / 5.

Basic GIB passes 4, but advanced GIB obviously simulated hands where it thought going on was worth it; unfortunately due to the poor cuebidding rules it doesn't eliminate any of the hands it should.

#3 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-24, 14:22

Generally, the robots provide alerts for all their bids - sometimes even for 'pass'!
Could you please provide the original file. so that we can better understand what was going on.
I'm guessing that after you raised the robots sign-off in 3 it took you for being much stronger and started a control bidding sequence that you were unable to escape from.
I would be interested to know what would have happened if you had bid 4NT over 3.

It's worth remembering that the robot is completely immune to your psychic entreaties. It just follows down the path that is set, like water running downhill.
No amount of King Canuting will stop it.
Some people are like that - they just blast away to the 6 level if they 'think' it's the right place to be.
Here's an example.
Looking at this auction, I imagine West was wondering why East did not stop at 4.

#4 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-24, 15:36

View Postjardaholy, on 2021-February-24, 13:55, said:

I was thinking for a while before my first rebid. Considering 2H as slight underbid, I was almost sure, I would be able to control the bidding after limited 1NT bid from my robot´s partner.

Nobody controls GIB's bidding when GIB wants to bid.

#5 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-24, 17:54

View Postjohnu, on 2021-February-24, 15:36, said:

Nobody controls GIB's bidding when GIB wants to bid.

You could try prayer.

#6 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-February-24, 20:01

The one technique that mostly works is to open 1N whenever remotely reasonable. Something like a good 13 to a bad 18. That usually keeps the bot from making absurd leaps to impossible games/slams, at least.

#7 User is offline   jardaholy 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-February-26, 07:17

It seems to me that I have bad luck in slam bidding with the robots. The example starting this topic is fairly recent... and I have another one, I met right now. But, I really think that it is bug this time.

Look at this board:

After 2C opening, 2NT is slam positive response. I have had several accidents recently after positive 2C response from my robot partner (as north promising 11-14 HPC and jumping to 6NT with bad 8HPC and so on). But his was different. Without long thinking I showed my very good suit (perhaps I should not have after the response showing balanced distribution), but decided to avoid any possible complications by jumping to grand slam invitation (5NT). The true is that I did not have 26-28HPC, I should have had according to the system explanation, but my clubs are furtile source of tricks and I am quite trained in playing squezes from almost one year of intensive playing of the daylongs. Well, the last thing, I expected, was that my grand slam invitation would be PASSED.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users