BBO Discussion Forums: Ridiculous - Is the software even working?! - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ridiculous - Is the software even working?!

#1 User is offline   dave251164 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 71
  • Joined: 2010-October-29

Posted 2021-February-20, 05:04

I played in a Daylong IMP2 yesterday - 368 players started and 340 finished.
These were the numbers playing each board 7,4,7,7,9,6,6,5.
I thought being played only 6 or 7 times was bad, but only 4 or 5 times is absolutely ridiculous!
How can you have a meaninful comparison?
Is the software that assigns boards to players even working properly?!
Is cheating really so endemic that so few players get to play each board?

We've lost bingos and the speed tourneys are so slow as to be unplayable and now daylongs IMPs seem to be dying a death due to so few players.
It really has been all down hill since Flash went.
Why didn't BBO just buy the right to use Flash and have their own programmers keep a version updated for BBO, rather than waste their time and money on a version that is largely unfit for purpose?
0

#2 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,799
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2021-February-20, 06:17

View Postdave251164, on 2021-February-20, 05:04, said:

I played in a Daylong IMP2 yesterday - 368 players started and 340 finished. These were the numbers playing each board 7,4,7,7,9,6,6,5. I thought being played only 6 or 7 times was bad, but only 4 or 5 times is absolutely ridiculous! How can you have a meaningful comparison? Is the software that assigns boards to players even working properly?! Is cheating really so endemic that so few players get to play each board?
Cheating is endemic. At the end of a tournament with hundreds of competitors, however, your score should be compared with dozens of others. For example, all my scores were compared with at least 60 others in a daylong that I entered today, even although results are provisional because the tournament is less than half-way through.

View Postdave251164, on 2021-February-20, 05:04, said:

We've lost bingos and the speed tourneys are so slow as to be unplayable and now daylongs IMPs seem to be dying a death due to so few players. It really has been all down hill since Flash went. Why didn't BBO just buy the right to use Flash and have their own programmers keep a version updated for BBO, rather than waste their time and money on a version that is largely unfit for purpose?
Obviously, lack of Flash doesn't cause cheating or inadequate score-comparisons. IMO, the problem is more to do with most programming effort being devoted to scaling up the user-base and raising revenue. When a harassed programmer spares a few rushed moments to fix a basic Bridge-software bug, unforeseen side-effects often worsen the users' overall experience. IMO rigorous regression-testing would mitigate these difficulties.
1

#3 User is offline   0 carbon 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 439
  • Joined: 2009-January-19
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2021-February-20, 08:45

FWIW, Flash is not supported by any current browser. It has too many security flaws which keep turning up.
0

#4 User is offline   Jellicoe 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 2021-February-21

Posted 2021-February-21, 05:58

How can someone cheat on Daylong?
0

#5 User is offline   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 20,633
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2021-February-23, 10:23

View PostJellicoe, on 2021-February-21, 05:58, said:

How can someone cheat on Daylong?

If we didn't have deal pools, you could just play twice with different usernames, or you could ask a friend who played before you about the hands.

We probably need to adjust the size of deal pools to account for fewer entries in this particular game. We currently have a pool of 40 deals for each board number.

The IMP 1 games get almost twice as many entries as IMP 2, so the large deal pool size is more appropriate there.

#6 User is offline   dave251164 

  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 71
  • Joined: 2010-October-29

Posted 2021-February-24, 04:17

View Postbarmar, on 2021-February-23, 10:23, said:

If we didn't have deal pools, you could just play twice with different usernames, or you could ask a friend who played before you about the hands.

We probably need to adjust the size of deal pools to account for fewer entries in this particular game. We currently have a pool of 40 deals for each board number.

The IMP 1 games get almost twice as many entries as IMP 2, so the large deal pool size is more appropriate there.


Yes adjusting the size of the deal pools would be good, but perhaps reducing the cost from say 39c to 29c would improve the number of players entering the IMP ones?
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users