Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disaster board (a story) ... on how to score a perfect 0%

#1 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-January-15, 15:24

This came up during one of the daylong tournaments of yesterday. I was South, the other three seats were occupied by bots.

The bidding proceeded innocuously for the first couple of rounds. That is until partner doubled and I decided to show my fit (never mind that it showed 7-10 total points).

The bidding now got really weird. What should I do over 3x? Surely I can't pass with this sad excuse of a hand. So I bid one more!

And there you have it, opps bid a slam and I have to find a lead. If you held the South hand, which suit would you lead? Diamonds, your singleton heart, or a spade?

Decide before you unveil the spoiler.

Spoiler

#2 User is online   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-15, 16:05

View Postshyams, on 2021-January-15, 15:24, said:

This came up during one of the daylong tournaments of yesterday. I was South, the other three seats were occupied by bots.

The bidding proceeded innocuously for the first couple of rounds. That is until partner doubled and I decided to show my fit (never mind that it showed 7-10 total points).

The bidding now got really weird. What should I do over 3x? Surely I can't pass with this sad excuse of a hand. So I bid one more!

And there you have it, opps bid a slam and I have to find a lead. If you held the South hand, which suit would you lead? Diamonds, your singleton heart, or a spade?

Decide before you unveil the spoiler.

Spoiler

Here's a real-time description of my thinking.
1. My first thought was to lead a singleton because that's what Bird an Anthias usually recommend.
2. My second thought was to lead a diamond because my partner didn't support my call and might be void.
3. My third thought was it was a Lightner double - I always say that now because my partner usually complains about my lead.
4. The double was major-oriented - lead a heart.
5. With thinking like this its no wonder I always do badly in defence.
6. Reread Kotov on how to play (think) like a Grandmaster. The best Chess book I ever read. Kotov's decision-making principles apply in all games.

Spoiler

#3 User is online   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-January-15, 17:20

Spoiler

The declarer play is spectacular though.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users