BBO Discussion Forums: Forcing terms - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Forcing terms forcing, forcing for one round, promising a rebid, game forcing, etc

#21 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-October-02, 05:36

View Postblackshoe, on 2020-October-01, 14:43, said:

Given the above, I honestly can't think of a situation that would require a "forcing one round" bid

If by "forcing one round" you mean auto-forcing :) then an example might be (1) X (p) 2 which as we play it obliges partner to bid and promises to bid again.

View Postblackshoe, on 2020-October-01, 14:43, said:

particularly given that if I wanted to say that I would mean "you must ensure the bidding is kept open partner; I am going to bid again".

IF that was all you wanted to say then "you must bid" would be quite sufficient :)
What we are saying is more like "I am going to bid again, so don't go making strength signals, just show your distribution".

#22 User is offline   haka9 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-October-02, 23:55

View PostWainfleet, on 2020-September-26, 12:27, said:

Is my understanding of these terms correct?

1. Forcing - partner must not pass, but it does not promise a rebid

2. Forcing for one round - F1 for short. I used to think that this promised a rebid (as per 3) but have read recently (I think somewhere on these forums), that this is the same as 1. That seems really odd. To me a round is like a circle, and the round is complete when the auction returns to the forcer. One out of 1,2,3 (most likely 3) seems redundant to me.

3. A bid that promises a rebid. Self explanatory. This is what I used to think was meant by Forcing for One Round If it's not the same as 2, is there a short way of describing it?

4. Game forcing. GF for short. 3NT, 4H/S or 5C/D. Not the same as 5.

5. Forcing to 3NT. the auction can stop at 4C/4D. Not the same as 4.

Thanks

I agree and think 1 & 2 are the same. I have a question: Is reverse by responder forcing one round or forcing to game? I and my partner had different views.

#23 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-03, 00:31

View Posthaka9, on 2020-October-02, 23:55, said:

I agree and think 1 & 2 are the same. I have a question: Is reverse by responder forcing one round or forcing to game? I and my partner had different views.

I think it's commonly played as forcing for one round after a one-level response, but forcing to game after a two-level response even if that two-level response was only forcing for one round (as in Acol).
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#24 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-03, 04:36

View Posthaka9, on 2020-October-02, 23:55, said:

What Gordon wrote - F1R after a one-level call and GF after a new suit at the 2 level. The same can also be said of a rebid in 3 of Opener's suit (1X - 1Y; 3X or 1X - 2Y; 3X) or indeed any "strong" sequence.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#25 User is offline   Wainfleet 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-October-03, 05:30

View Postgordontd, on 2020-October-03, 00:31, said:

I think it's commonly played as forcing for one round after a one-level response, but forcing to game after a two-level response even if that two-level response was only forcing for one round (as in Acol).

My understanding was that in Acol a reverse promised a rebid. Is that not so?

#26 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-October-03, 06:05

View PostWainfleet, on 2020-October-03, 05:30, said:

My understanding was that in Acol a reverse promised a rebid. Is that not so?

That is only true if the pair is playing Lebensohl, Blackout or a similar method. In the traditional structure, 1X - 1Y; 2Z - 3X (Y>Z>X) is not forcing.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users