BBO Discussion Forums: Ignoring minor transfers - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

Ignoring minor transfers Not ignoring it proved costly at MPs

#21 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-04, 20:16

View Postsfi, on 2020-September-04, 19:30, said:

I'm interested to hear why you think using the middle step is better. There is another more subtle, but IMO more important, reason to make bidding the suit the superaccept.

If you do so, responder plays 3m when you don't know whether they were weak or invitational (looking for a fit). Opener plays 3m when responder's hand strength is revealed. Using the middle step as a superaccept reverses that, so the defence knows more about responder's hand when they declare.

From my point of view:
- by far the most common position is opener doesn't have a super-accept and responder is weak. In this position I want opener's high cards protected from the opening lead, in case tempo matters and gives us a chance to dump some losers when our weak suit can't be attacked from one side.
- if opener *does* have a super-accept, the fit is good and we are more likely to make even if wrong-sided.

I think this is more important than revealing responder's strength range (still quite broad; just know not invitational) after an opener super-accept. Your opinion may vary.

#22 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-04, 20:20

View PostStephen Tu, on 2020-September-04, 20:02, said:

Perhaps a bit strangely, I think the std version of puppet over 2nt openings is so bad that I typically ask partners to just play regular stayman over 2nt and only play puppet over 1nt. (I hate the interference with Smolen hands, also I really can't remember the last time a team pwned me by bidding to making 4M on a 5-3 fit while I went down in 3nt). I could probably be persuaded to play a souped up modified Muppet or Romex type version but most partners seem content to just play regular.

I do prefer Puppet to simple Stayman. But I prefer better versions of the theme to either. The gains are marginal though.

About a year ago I picked up a good hand with a solid 6-card heart suit. It looked right to open it 2NT, and when partner responded 3C I was really tempted to not show the major. Sadly we found our 6-3 heart fit and both contracts had exactly 9 tricks. So it would have been a win for you. :)

#23 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-04, 20:43

View Postthepossum, on 2020-September-04, 18:15, said:

I just read it somewhere, thats all, if you felt your NT opener was strong enough to cover the other suits

You've probably read about the system where 2 is a transfer to clubs, where opener can suggest playing in 3NT by superaccepting with 2NT, as others have alluded to. Then you can still stop in 3 when partner really is weak, but find some light 3NT games when you have a good fit, if not the full points for a normal game.

With GIBs system, it's never possible for opener to bid 3NT, because a 15-17 hand opposite potentially 0 points from partner is never enough to 'cover the other suits'.

#24 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-September-05, 15:54

View Postsmerriman, on 2020-September-04, 20:43, said:

You've probably read about the system where 2 is a transfer to clubs, where opener can suggest playing in 3NT by superaccepting with 2NT, as others have alluded to. Then you can still stop in 3 when partner really is weak, but find some light 3NT games when you have a good fit, if not the full points for a normal game.

With GIBs system, it's never possible for opener to bid 3NT, because a 15-17 hand opposite potentially 0 points from partner is never enough to 'cover the other suits'.

Thankyou.

#25 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-23, 16:17

Was considering another thread, then remembered this one from a few years ago

Proved costly for many. First hand in the forum daylong so wanted a good start to MP

Do you accept the transfer knowing its likely to be passed or ignore and bid 3NT

#26 User is online   mw64ahw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bidding & play optimisation via simulation.

Posted 2023-January-31, 05:24

View Postsfi, on 2020-September-04, 20:15, said:

It all depends on whether you have a better meaning for 3C.

I play a non-promissory Puppet Stayman & 4-way transfers (completing is the super-accept for minors) over 1NT. This finds all Major suit fits and leaves 1NT-3 to show (41)44 or (40)(54) with 3 asking for a 5 card minor if you want to know that and 3 asking for the short suit.

And don't Pass the transfer

#27 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-31, 05:44

View Postmw64ahw, on 2023-January-31, 05:24, said:

I play a non-promissory Puppet Stayman & 4-way transfers (completing is the super-accept for minors) over 1NT. This finds all Major suit fits and leaves 1NT-3 to show (41)44 or (40)(54) with 3 asking for a 5 card minor if you want to know that and 3 asking for the short suit.

He was never passing the transfer but bidding 3N. Note 5 (on the heart guess) and 4 (needs spades 4-2) are better than 3N on the original board.

On the original board if I played 2 as my transfer and partner showed interest I might punt game, but not sure if I'd get the right one.

#28 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-January-31, 19:00

View Postmw64ahw, on 2023-January-31, 05:24, said:

I wasn't considering passing but going to 3NT - raises an interesting point though. Why not pass 2NT occasionally :)

I can imagine there must be some 1NT openers that would play well in 2NT opposite a long minor EDIT Ignore this. I don't think they are ever supposed to be passed :)

EDIT Another point reading back to the original discussion. I know there are different forms of minor transfer depending whether you play minor stayman or not. This system plays a MSS as 2S (I think) 2NT transfer to C and 3C transfer to D

#29 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2023-February-01, 03:45

View Postthepossum, on 2023-January-31, 19:00, said:

I wasn't considering passing but going to 3NT - raises an interesting point though. Why not pass 2NT occasionally :)

I can imagine there must be some 1NT openers that would play well in 2NT opposite a long minor EDIT Ignore this. I don't think they are ever supposed to be passed :)

EDIT Another point reading back to the original discussion. I know there are different forms of minor transfer depending whether you play minor stayman or not. This system plays a MSS as 2S (I think) 2NT transfer to C and 3C transfer to D

Passing 2N is trying to hit a very small target where there are 8 tricks but not 9, usually 3N is a better bid particularly at teams

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users